Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TH-D72 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TH-D72
Kenwood TH-D72 Reviews: 44 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $499.00
Description: Kenwood APRS dual band Transceiver
More info: http://www.kenwood.com

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TH-D72.

W8MPX Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2011 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The rig it's build very good very good receiving it doesn't not get hot aprs. Gps all in one don't have to by extra accessories like other brands not bad for the price this radio will give me busy this winter good job Kenwood

W1TXT Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2011 03:42 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for me!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Loaded with features and works perfectly for me. An incredible radio with so many features and functions, learning all of its capabilites will keep you busy for months to come.

I also have a TH-D7A/G, TM-D710, TM-V71A and RC-D710 for VHF/UHF and I enjoy this radio more than the others. It's basically the TM-D710A w/a built-in GPS.

Very cool!

SV1JRF Rating: 3/5 Oct 27, 2011 05:10 Send this review to a friend
Very nice radio but!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First of all lets start that this radio has some excellent features. It compacts APRS ,Packet radio and GPS. The menu is very good and is better than the previous D7 model. The battery as well is excellent but is not as good as the icom e-92 battery. Actually i always forget when i last charged the icom's battery!Anyway back to TH-D72.I bought the radio 4 days ago. I read the manual thoroughly and i managed very easely to operate the radio with all its features.
Everything was perfect until yesterday. The battery run out and i decided to charge it. I plug the wall charger to the wall socket and then i plugged the small round socket to my handheld. Immediately i heard a "pouf" sound from the charger. And then silence. Well i said that was it, the radio was a brick. I chilled out and saw that the radio was working normally. The charger was broken and some weird sounds where coming from the inside(fuse maybe?). There is no access to change the fuse... I left it to the service. Anyway thank god i had my Icom's E92 charger which provides a little less output power and voltage so i managed to charge my D72 but instead of 8 hours charging time i had approx 9. No fuss about that.

So that is why i gave the radio a 3. Everything else is perfect.

ps: also buy the carrying case because the radio is kind of sensitive to scratches.

IZ4UFQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 20, 2011 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Nice but can be better  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own a TH-F7E (European version of the TH-F6) and I like it very much because it is tiny and powerful.

I decided to buy the new TH-D72E, and I almost like it. It is a nice radio, with a lot of great features, but it's not perfect.

HARDWARE ISSUES: It's big, expecially if compared to the tiny (and yet powerful) TH-F7E. Its display is too little (even if the screen seems to be big) for an APRS radio that has a lot of information to display. It has a 4-way cursor pad instead of the fantastic 5-way stick of the TH-F7E.

SOFTWARE ISSUES: In firmware 1.04 there are two issues. The first is that when you receive APRS data, and these data are displayed, if you press the PTT button (to transmit on the other band) it does clear the display but does NOT transmit. This behaviour was not present in firmware 1.02; I emailed Kenwood and they told me they will fix it in next firmware. The second is that there is no "aprs audio mute" function. If you want to use band A for APRS and band B for voice, and you do not want to hear audio from APRS band, you have to use audio balance to mute band A, then if you revert to audio use of band A, you have to remember to set balance back or you will not hear anything from that band. There should be a function to auto-mute audio from APRS band as soon as you enable the TNC. I have suggested this improvement to Kenwood but got no answer.

Anyway, even with these limitations, it remains a great radio, with an inbuilt GPS that works even indoors, with an inbuilt TNC that works with USB serial emulation also with Linux. I was able to set up a connection to our local packet cluster in 1 minute without reading any manual with my Linux netbook and this radio.

VK5JC Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2011 02:07 Send this review to a friend
A worthy D7A(G) replacement  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Having owned a D7A(G) for a few years, I had come to appreciate the versatility and dependability this radio offered. It has certainly never let me down or failed to perform. I haven't been disappointed since purchasing the new D72A either and now the only real gripe I ever had with the D7A(G) has been resolved, gone is the ancient NiCad technology replaced by a modern Li-Ion battery in the D72A.

I use this radio for everything from full duplex satellite operations to portable APRS to general purpose handheld use and it continues to impress. This is a solidly built, top quality radio, perhaps a little too large for a take everwhere, in the shirt pocket handy, but if that is not too much of an issue for you, I recommend highly. Well done Kenwood!

LA1PHA Rating: 4/5 Jun 30, 2011 11:06 Send this review to a friend
It got better!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I promised I would give a new review when kenwood did address the issues I pointed out earlier.
This radio has such potensial that it deserve to have in it the best that can be offered today.
To day it partial live up to that.
With firmware 1.03 this fine radio has made the final step to be a keeper. The "will not transmit on busy channel with PTT on rare occasions" has been corrected and by that this radio is usefull. For me it seems that 75% of the stuff the vx8 can do the kenwood do better. If you are into aprs and want to have abillity to hook the radio up with your laptop to make a igate or portable igate/digi this is your only choice. If you want to see the incoming spots on the display without having to press buttons ... this is the only choice. It is so much this radio do very good. Now it is just one thing that is missing. This radio is also made for echolink , so why the h... hasn't kenwood implemented a decent TOT(time-out-timer) on this rig? This is the only thing that keep me from giving it a 5. But also the rig is so good that it is not enough to not buy the radio. Good job kenwood. Keep it up and maybe the TOT will come.
73 LA1PHA

VR2VOI Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2011 23:45 Send this review to a friend
UI-View32 + Echolink + TH-D72 = Happy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got one in Hong Kong here. I use my TM-D700 to connect UI-View32 and Echolink. Now I can use this portable device to send and collect APRS packets from my station.

With UI-View32 + Echolink, an EchoLink Object (EL-callsign) will be sent out to my TH-D72 via an APRS packet once an EchoLink connection is established. Wonderful!

I can also use this to digipeat APRS messages relayed from the Internet.

Some HAMs in Hong Kong adopted D-Star. D-Star allows messaging services among radio. With TH-D72, I can rely the established APRS network for messaging service also.

Although it is expensive, but there will be no regret!

KO4RB Rating: 3/5 Jun 22, 2011 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Problems...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I too loved this radio...right up to the point that audio through the speaker stopped. It appears that Kenwood has a problem here. Will they issue a recall? Or just make us send them in one at a time... :-/

I'll rerate after this is fixed. For now, 3.

K7WWA Rating: 4/5 Jun 8, 2011 17:52 Send this review to a friend
Not pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While I gave my radio a 4 let me explain. While the radio worked correctly it was a great radio. After less than a week no receiver audio. Called tech support, I was told that there had been reports of speaker failure and asked if I had a remote speaker/mike. When my remote speaker mike arrived I plugged it in and great RX audio. Another week or so and I noticed that the radio seemed to have low TX power even while the power output monitor showed full power. I connected to my service monitor, max power out on VHF & UHF, 100mw. OK, time to return it to Kenwood for service. Gave it to UPS two days ago, should be to the repair center tomorrow. Tick Tock lets see how long until it is fixed and returned.

KQ4KK Rating: 4/5 May 4, 2011 13:00 Send this review to a friend
A Great Succesor to the D7  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned TH-D7s and VX-8s since they first came out. The D72 is a modern update of the D7, USB port, GPS and all. The new free programming software works fine with Windows 7 64bit, and is an improvement on the D7 version.
The D72 works with UI-VIEW, in that it can receive and send all the normal APRS "stuff". I have not be able to access the internal D72 GPS lat/long to use in UI-VIEW yet when in PACKET mode thru the USB port, a shortcoming.