Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Western HF-10 Help

Reviews Summary for Western HF-10
Western HF-10 Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $72 UK pounds
Description: A G5RV type wire dipole for 160 to 6m with an ATU - 67 feet in length
More info: http://www.qrz.com/db/M0BZI

You can write your own review of the Western HF-10.

MI6JVC Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2017 16:35 Send this review to a friend
Game changer   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having used the Western HF Antenna for 2 weeks now. I have it set up sloped from the top floor of my house to the garden. I noticed an improvement in noise floor and quality of reports.

Yesterday I raised the garden end up higher on a pole approx 20ft and this has again enhanced the performance of the antenna.

As an example of tonight I worked VK6 from Northern Ireland on JT65. The frequency doesn't agree with the antenna to tune but using the manual tuning operation from the Kenwood TS450S SWR is 1:3. A very highly recommended antenna!

M6ULY Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2016 12:07 Send this review to a friend
I wish I'd got this first  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a bad experience with a well known 8-band vertical costing 280 I decided to give the Western HF-10 a go. Wow, what a surprise, it's not plug-and-play, I ran the antenna through a computerised analyser and got the best settings for my ATU for each band. Since erecting it in an inverted-V in a garden around 50 feet long I have got out to Argentina, Brazil, Canary Isles, the whole of Europe, Iceland and more, all on a maximum of 10 watts!

KE6GRN Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2016 21:57 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought the antenna. I live in a HOA restricted subdivision. I have the apex mounted on a 30 foot pole, with the ends going to the fence on either side of my back yard about 6 feet of the ground. All I can say is WOW! I live in Spring, Texas which is a suburb of Houston. Today I worked a station in Croatia on 20 meters and I was receiving him 59 plus 10! He also gave me a 59. I was using my Yaesu FT-1000MP through my Ameritron AL-811 amp pumping 500 watts. This is a very good antenna. It is so quite on some bands that I don't even have to use my DSP filters!

73's, KE6GRN

G0BYH Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2016 07:34 Send this review to a friend
The answer for a small garden  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having just moved house,(bungalow) with a small garden I was looking for an antenna which would fit into the space available and give me coverage of most or all of the HF bands. This antenna has exceeded expectations, with a remote tuner at the base of a 25ft fibre glass mast and mounted in an inverted V configuration it covers all the HF bands apart from 5Mhz.The apex is at 25 feet and the ends are at 12 feet. Made comparison with a conventional Doublet for the higher bands and the Western has a lower noise level but no less signal when switching from one to the other. Just finished working the SPDX RTTY contest and got confirmed contacts from as far apart as USA and Asiatic Russia on 40 & 20 mtrs with the bands in very poor condition.
If you have a limited space at your QTH this is one antenna worth trying.

M0PXS Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2015 04:13 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was a little sceptical about this antenna, but like all dutiful hams I read all the info I could find on the internet. I was a little hesitant as my QTH only allows for a length of 51ft, and realising the antenna is just over 67ft I dropped Fred a line to ask if it would be possible to let the legs after the inductor coils hang (well in my case pulled to one side), He confirmed it should be ok, so after convincing myself over the next couple of weeks I took the plunge and forked out my hard earned cash. The antenna arrived the next day and after reading the notes it was quickly hoisted to its final position (albeit a little low at 6m). Then switched on the Flex and tried to tune the bands starting at 10m, the internal tuner find a match on all bands from 160 through to 6m. OK it is a little deaf on 160, but hell it is trying its hardest at only 68ft long. That is just a bonus, all other bands are 1:1.45 or better, mainly 1:1.20. An I happy, hell yes, Would I recommend it to a ham with space issues, yes. Can you do better, well yes but then you need space for the other options.

MI0GTA Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2015 12:08 Send this review to a friend
excellent antenna.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used one in the past and was sorry I had to go qrt and sell off my equipment but today I just landed and new western hf-10 at a nice price including p/p.

Sweet.....

VK3HMV Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2015 23:36 Send this review to a friend
Very Impressed!  Time owned: months
I bought my antenna after reading the reviews and perusing Fred's QRZ page. I hesitated erecting this antenna, as my existing antenna was giving me good results. Well as the weather was heating up and up, my wife and I decided to erect it and leave it up.
The results so far have been very, very good. I am restricted to 10W by my licence conditions, but even so, I'm getting much improved reports and also, I am hearing more distant stations. I am really looking forward to upgrade exams and running 100W with this antenna.

ZL1MRC Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2014 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This antenna is amazing. Its only up 5 meters and I work the world on digital modes on 35W. Excellent Antenna and very easy to match with my MFJ993B.

2E0BTX Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2014 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This aerial is fantastic ...... all the other reviews are 100% correct ... im working DX like i never have before ... noise is still there but its nothing like it is on my vertical .

i was lucky enough to collect my antenna from Fred personally, Hes very Helpful and a true gentleman

the reviews on here speak for themselves
go buy one you wont regret it !

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2014 10:06 Send this review to a friend
Now using it as main base Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I reviewed this antenna some time ago when I was using it portable for GB2HEN. I have since moved and was going to install an Alpha Delta DX-LB Plus after having good results with my DX-CC at my previous QTH. I decided to go a little more stealthy and try the HF-10 instead.

First few contacts were all DX and they were not a fluke, since then I have worked all over. The antenna is only about 20ft in the middle and about 25ft on the ends - in a V configuration.

I have extended the tails to make the antenna resonant in the centre of 80m so my internal tuner can do the whole band - I am sure with some more height I might not have needed to do this. I can't get it high enough or the ladder line vertical enough to tune 160m but I am not too bothered about that.

On 20m and 10m it is also a low enough SWR to operate without an ATU and a fair chunk of 80m. Anywhere else, the internal ATU of my TS-590s copes perfectly. The SWR is also low enough for TX on 6m, 2m and 70cm!

I have since taken down 3 verticals, Cushcraft MA-6VA, Sandpiper MV5+2 and PKW Allrad because there was no advantage to having them swaying around in the wind when doing A-B comparisons with the HF-10.

I now have a Sandpiper PBX-100 MKII and my Alexloop set-up as a backup but for my HF operations the Western HF-10 is the antenna of choice.

The build quality is something else. When I decided to make the HF-10 a permanent fixture, I lowered it down to put some sealant on the connections, when I discovered the coils were self weatherproofing by the fact the exposed metal is inside the formers - very clever design.

I would rate this antenna as good as my DX-CC on the bands the DX-CC was resonant on, and better on the WARC bands by virtue it shows a better match so the ATU has an easier time of things.