Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Western HF-10 Help

Reviews Summary for Western HF-10
Western HF-10 Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $72 UK pounds
Description: A G5RV type wire dipole for 160 to 6m with an ATU - 67 feet in length
More info: http://www.qrz.com/db/M0BZI

You can write your own review of the Western HF-10.

VK7HAL Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2014 23:28 Send this review to a friend
Great easy to set up antenna at home QTH or Mobile.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned two of Freds Western HF-10 G5RV antennas for four years, One set up at the home QTH see my QRZ site for proof of just how well this works.
Use the second Western HF-10 when Mobile up a 7mtr Pole or friendly tree its simple to set up and itw works great what more is there to say. 73

G0PNM Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2014 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna on recommendation from a friend. Up to then I have never heard of it.
The antenna arrived this morning (8th May 2014) and from the outset, it look the part. All fittings are very well made and the traps are very neat.
In the instructions, Fred says that it is not simply a plug and play antenna. Well I wanted to see how it performed 'out of the box' so i inwrapped it and strung it up, in place of my 66' windom. My 3rd contact was with a station 3505 miles away in the Caribbean!
The other main BIG difference is, unlike the windom, I did not need an ugly balun/RF choke as there is NO RF in my shack with the Western HF10.
I am running an FT450 with LDG YT450 tuner, which tunes the HF10 from 160-6m with an SWR less than 1.5:1 on all bands.
I would recommend this antenna to anyone!

2E0BWF Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2014 08:03 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
JUST ERECTED PLUG AND PLAY NO PROBLEMS
WELL MADE STAINLESS STEEL WIRE GREAT
I HAD MY DOUBTS BUT IT WORKS
FRED M0BZI VERY HELP FULL

M0PRH Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2014 22:06 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned 4 Western HF-10 antennas and as this is a hobby I've always been tempted to try and improve my set up, so tried other antennas also. But I have ended up coming back to the Western HF-10 time after time. Why? It's quiet, it tunes on 6,10,12,15,17,20,40,80 with my Kenwood TS-590's built in tuner. I personally can't tune 160m but hey I'm sure I could if I thought about it a bit more.
This antenna is amazing! I can't rate it highly enough. Mine is in a very limited space in an inverted L not ideal but I can still work the world with great reports.
The build quality and workmanship that goes into making these is also 10/10 and Fred is also a really nice person to deal with. This is much better than any other commercially built doublet or G5RV that I have tried. I've wound a 19.5ft air choke on a plastic pipe under the feed point also and this has prevented all RFI. For 68 plus postage this is a bargain and damn good antenna.

2E0JJH Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2013 04:18 Send this review to a friend
Unbelieveable !!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I have been using this antenna on all bands from 160 to 6 Metres for the last 3 months. With 50 Watts or less, I have now worked 92 entities in that time....Australia and NZ, Antarctica, Japan, China, Alaska - in fact - The World !!!

Even more important is that I live in a retirement bungalow complex, with just a tiny 12ft by 12ft back yard, and I have to be very 'Stealthy'. The dipole centre is attached to the top of a 26ft fibreglass fishing pole, and the vertical ladderline is taped to that all the way down, with the two ends of the dipole being attached at one end to my bungalow chimney, and the other end to a tree in the communal garden, with both en ds dropping from the 26ft middle, to about 15ft.

Surprisingly, the antenna is not resonant on any band and the internal tuner of my FT-950 only tunes the antenna on a couple of bands, so it is not used at all - instead I use the MFJ-949E ATU. I don't have much money on my State Pension, but I am now saving for an Auto Tuner, which will be the icing on a really tasty cake !!

Check out my QRZ page to see the 'Last 30' stations I have worked..

Recommended to all without any caveats.

VE8AP Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2013 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Nice Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well I have a habit of writing really fast and lack attention to detail when I write so I will slow down for change. In my experience the last 6 months with poor bands conditions this antenna has done well considering I only use it on 40-80m I have a hex beam for the other bands never tried it on 160m yet. I feel for what it offers it's an excellent choice and if real estate is the issue this antenna is the answer. Take care folks

MI0GTA Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2013 03:20 Send this review to a friend
kooking forward to getting Western HF-10 in the air  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
just bought the antenna but not in air yet..
i like the reviews it has here on the site...
looking forward to maybe getting a sig out on top band, if i do and i get a reply it'll be the 3rd qso in nearly 13 yrs...
i'll post my comments when it's up and working later..
73 all
MI0GTA..

M0AWN Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2013 10:05 Send this review to a friend
68 expensive ??????  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
68 for an all bands low profile antenna expensive ?? I think not !

This last year i've experimented with many antennas including cobwebb, dipoles etc.etc. and can safley say that i'm over the moon with the WF10's performance. Yes, the critics can say it's an extended 1/2 G5RV with a balun but this antenna has been thought out properly. The quality of build is second to none with stainless components and a nice balun. I've only had it up 1 week and had regular contacts on 10,12,15,20 and 40 with N .America, Canada, Africa and middle East. i'm over the moon and NO it's not expensive.

G0STF Rating: 3/5 Jan 30, 2013 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Is it a g5rv with 80mtr add on kit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned one for 2years and just had to change the flexiweave wire as mine had crumbled prob uv while I had it down I took it to bits then got all the wire and parts on eBay fixed my one and built another including the bifalar balun and traps total cost 35 better than the advertised 85. I used a half size g5rv with the 80mtr add on kit with a choke balun I found worked better. The build is excellent but expensive for a g5 clone.

G6EGM Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2012 09:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a Western HF-10 Antenna from Fred in July, Fred dealt with my order very promptly and the antenna arrived well packed within 3-4 days. Fred is a pleasure to deal with, gives first class customer care and support and responding quickly to email queries.

Upon unpacking the Antenna it very quickly becomes obvious that the quality of the build of this Antenna is very Good and that good materials and engineering practice have been used.

How does the Antenna work in practice ?

Well my Western HF-10 is 20ft above the ground.

As mentioned by other customers the Antenna is a very quiet receiving one so that on the LF bands it is much easier to hear weak signals that would otherwise be lost in the noise.

On transmit the Antenna works extremely well and is genuinely multiband. This antenna is a variation on a half sized G5RV. On the internet I have read nummerous comments that this design is poor or is only good on certain bands. Well my experience is that I have worked DX on all bands from 7Mhz to 28Mhz using 100 Watts. On 80 Meters I have worked as far as Ukraine and on 6 Meters as far as Slovenia. 40m USA, 20M South Africa, 17M Japan, 15M Western Canada, 12M Brazil, 10M Central Asia. The only part of the globe I haven't worked is Australia/New Zealand and the Pacific.

I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase and feel this would be a particularly good choice for somone starting off in the hobby and wanted to be sure they would be getting a first class antenna.

I have no connection with Fred, just a happy customer. Also a very big thankyou to Steve G0KYA for highlighting the existence of this antenna.

Well done FRED and keep up the good work.