Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Western HF-10 Help

Reviews Summary for Western HF-10
Western HF-10 Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $72 UK pounds
Description: A G5RV type wire dipole for 160 to 6m with an ATU - 67 feet in length
More info: http://www.qrz.com/db/M0BZI

You can write your own review of the Western HF-10.

G6EGM Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2012 09:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a Western HF-10 Antenna from Fred in July, Fred dealt with my order very promptly and the antenna arrived well packed within 3-4 days. Fred is a pleasure to deal with, gives first class customer care and support and responding quickly to email queries.

Upon unpacking the Antenna it very quickly becomes obvious that the quality of the build of this Antenna is very Good and that good materials and engineering practice have been used.

How does the Antenna work in practice ?

Well my Western HF-10 is 20ft above the ground.

As mentioned by other customers the Antenna is a very quiet receiving one so that on the LF bands it is much easier to hear weak signals that would otherwise be lost in the noise.

On transmit the Antenna works extremely well and is genuinely multiband. This antenna is a variation on a half sized G5RV. On the internet I have read nummerous comments that this design is poor or is only good on certain bands. Well my experience is that I have worked DX on all bands from 7Mhz to 28Mhz using 100 Watts. On 80 Meters I have worked as far as Ukraine and on 6 Meters as far as Slovenia. 40m USA, 20M South Africa, 17M Japan, 15M Western Canada, 12M Brazil, 10M Central Asia. The only part of the globe I haven't worked is Australia/New Zealand and the Pacific.

I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase and feel this would be a particularly good choice for somone starting off in the hobby and wanted to be sure they would be getting a first class antenna.

I have no connection with Fred, just a happy customer. Also a very big thankyou to Steve G0KYA for highlighting the existence of this antenna.

Well done FRED and keep up the good work.

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2012 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Used on GB2HEN - Impressed!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a Western HF10 from Fred a while back but like many of the Antennas I have now got, I hadn't had chance to use it. After a so-so day operating GB2HEN at the Henham Steam Rally on the Saturday with various portable HF antennas, I returned on the Sunday with my Western HF-10.

From where we were operating I could only manage to get one side up about 9 feet, the other side up about 12 feet and the middle I winched up on a low branch of a tree, at no more than 9 feet. I was impressed that even though my heath robinson installation was never as Fred designed it to be installed, it still remained resonant on many of the HF bands, and the ones where it wasn't my LDG YT-450 bought it in no problem.

We ended up making lots of contacts. It was especially sweet on 40 meters, working station after station and even getting a little pile up going at times. I wanted to write an honest review of this antenna and thought about it as critically as I could, but based on the performance I enjoyed and it's build quality, I can't give it anything less than top marks.

The PVC coated wire means it curls back up without issue, making it an excellent portable antenna solution - I will certainly be playing some more with this. I would like to put it alongside my Alpha Delta DX-CC. That would be an interesting comparison!

VK6NGS Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2012 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Superb quality antenna!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this with no great expectation,s,as ive had many wire antenna,s that never live up to all there claims.This one live,s upto all the claims and reviews.Great build quality.Hooked it upto my ft1000mp and tuned all bands except 40m,dropped the height from about 35ft to 28ft,the legs are about 10ft from the ground ive got it inverted V and tuned all bands 160m-10m with internal atu.Noise level has dropped by 2-5s.Fred was great to deal with,ordered antenna on a thursday and was posted the next day.Well done Fred.
Grant VK6NGS

G0LRK Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2012 02:47 Send this review to a friend
Superb quality antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I ordered this with a bit of trepidation as never seen one and thought it couldn't be as good as people say on these reviews - boy was I wrong!

The antenna arrived extremely well wrapped and it was like Christmas unwrapping it and seeing what it was actually like physically, it was and is VERY well made and really made to last, thumbs up to Fred for that.

Anyway on to the nitty-gritty.
I had only one spot in my very small, [indeed], yard it could go, from the chimney to a 20 foot high scaffold tube which is 45 feet approx away.
This meant that I had no option but to almost put the 'extra' bit to run almost underneath it and back to the house, ending up at 14 feet high - yes not right but you use what you have to and that is the only, repeat ONLY place that it could go at my qth.

So right I was not expecting any miracles at all given it's physical position but you've got to try!

So I hit the switch on 80m and thought there's a big problem as I'm not hearing much of anything at all.
Hit transmit and the swr comes back at under 2 - 1 that'll do for me, it didn't get much better really over the 80m band.
40m was 1 -7
20m was 1 -5
15m was 1 -7
10m was 1 -6
The internal atu coped with all this so no problem anyway, and I'm sure that out in the clear it really would perform much better.
Warc bands I didn't really bother with, but the main thing I noticed was how quiet in between the qso's it is, there is noise but nowhere near as much as I was getting from a 1/2 size G5RV.

Just got to keep using it now instead of listening which is what I did a lot of previously.

Anyway in closing thanks Fred in creating a masterpiece and well done...

Kevin G0LRK

MM6BQH Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2012 02:52 Send this review to a friend
Western HF-10  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this antenna from Fred for about 2 months now and i have just put it up at 8 meters flat top north north east by south south west configuration. I have brought it into the shack(caravan) on 10 meters of RG8 tested into the internal tuner on my Kenwood ts-450s and it tuned all bands without problem except 160m for obvious reasons and 17m. I then used the MFJ -945c ext tuner and it tunes all band at 1:1 including 160 ! first impressions.... Wow very quiet and brings in the DX. I have worked in only a few days from North america and Canada to the Middle east and of course all of Europe and the continent. I am well pleased. This is so much antenna packed into less than 70ft. I am going to try different orientations and i can recommend this antenna as it does what Fred says it can.
Well done Fred !
from Kenny MM6BQH

M0PMC Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2012 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Antenna that works  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this antenna for nearly 6 months now and it works from 80m up with no probs this continues to suprize me with its proformance bearing in mind that it is located in my loft in a loop configaration (ends not joined together) due to antenna restrictions!!!!
I know that this would improve no end if it was erected outside.So for a compromize on my part not the aerial it gets me on the air and i would say i can work 95% of what i hear.for example today 29/4/12 i have worked bosnia,cyprus,plus other european stations with sig reports rangeing from 57 to 59 ssb.
worked into the usa with reports of 54 to 57 ssb.
what more could you ask for and again thats in my loft don't forget!!!!
Thanks fred
Highly Recomended
Paul M0PMC

N6JON Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2012 00:10 Send this review to a friend
Well worth the money!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got this antenna today! I know, young love :-) But, and this is a big but, immediately after installing the antenna I had a contact on 15m with LU8EEM in Argentina, 5986 miles from my QTH in Long Beach, California.

Tuning, this might be a G5RV based design but that's where, at least as far as tuning goes, the the similarity ends. This antenna tunes easiy using my Kewood TS-2000 onboard tuner. Exception, 160m requires an external tuner, in my case, an MFJ 989-D.

This evening, I actually listened to a QSO on 160. Yea, it was boring but I had never heard anything on 160m before.

Fred shipped the antenna fast-8 days from the UK to the US west coast.

I will post an update after a longer peiod of use.

GW0SFI Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2012 08:05 Send this review to a friend
Most Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the quietist aerial I have used. I found it very effective on all bands - 26 feet at the apex and 10 feet from ground at the ends. I've received excellent reports during DX QSO's and at least 3 S points up on my regular contacts in the USA - Thoroughly pleased and satisfied with my purchase. Well done Fred!
Baz GW0SFI

SHAD3925 Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2012 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Substituted this for a Windom 40 Plus which was generating a substantial amount of noise. I could not believe how quiet it was when tried The Western on 20 and 40m's.
Very very impressed with its performance and particularly clarity of signal.
I have a steel mast with 1 metre horizontal fibreglass pole at the top from which the antenna is suspended, the centre is at 30' and each leg at 18'.

M6ZAW Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2012 05:56 Send this review to a friend
Western HF 10 Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great antenna, QSO's on 80 and 40m and stations heard on 160, 30 and 20m for the first time. Much better than my vertical antenna I've been using. Good reports on audio and signal. Due to antenna size it was easy to put up in my small back garden. It's 18ft high at one end, 20ft at the other and about 16ft drop with the ladder in the middle, 20m of coax from the balun to the shack. Very happy with this antenna and would recommend highly as I've been struggling to get contacts with verticals and other wire antennas for the past year.
Now I passed my 2E0 in Dec 2011 I will have great fun and lots more QSOs.
Many Thanks.