Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | PowerWerx SS-30DV Help

Reviews Summary for PowerWerx SS-30DV
PowerWerx SS-30DV Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $129.95 (119.95 street price)
Description: 13.85 VDC, 25 amp continous, 30 amp surge power supply. 2 Anderson Powerpole connectors (front) and 1/4 inch binding posts (rear). Fan cooled.
More info: http://www.powerwerx.com

You can write your own review of the PowerWerx SS-30DV.

WA2ZQX Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2017 05:29 Send this review to a friend
Reliable-Quiet  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 2-years, no problems, no noise(40 thru 6 meters) and the fan is still running at a whisper...Compared to the fan-racket my MFJ-4245MV makes. Very compact and light weight, makes it perfect for portable ops. Output voltage has always been constant with no spikes. A good value for the price.

W2TAC Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2017 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Companion for the KX3 Line  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Powerwerx 30-amp SS- 30DV power supply may sound like just another switching power supply. But it isn’t to me, a KX3 devotee. For the past five years, I’ve powered my one and only rig – a KX3 – with the Gamma Research HPS-1a power supply. Now that is a really good, really compact power supply. But I decided it was time for a few more toys, and so I recently purchased the KXPA100 amplifier and PX3 pan adapter, upping the power supply specifications. Researching a replacement, I became aware that Elecraft themselves recommends and resells the SS-30DV power supply for their equipment. It’s no wonder… the color and design integrate seamlessly with their equipment.

I purchased my SS-30DV directly from Powerwerx, because I also wanted to order several of their cables with Powerpole connectors. I was pleased with their service, packaging and – of course – the power supply operation itself.

I like the two Powerpole connectors on the front panel and the ¼-inch connector on the rear panel. It’s quiet – both aurally and RFI-wise (no hash) – and does the job. It’s relatively compact and has earned its real estate on my desktop and the Gamma Research HPS-1a is relegated to portable work when I plop the KX3 in a suitcase, leaving the amplifier and pan adapter at home.
Bob - W2TAC

KY5G Rating: 3/5 Jul 20, 2016 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Really, really noisy!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I absolutely want to like this power supply. And I HOPE I can figure out a way to "fix" the problem.

This power supply (at least my particular unit) puts out a varying magnitude spike on the bands from 160 meters through 10 meters.

The spikes occur every 34 kHz (indicating a 17 kHz square wave switcher).

The magnitude of the spikes varies over the different bands, but invariably adjacent spikes alternate in magnitude. For example, this morning on 80 meters:

S8 - S9+5 - S8 - S9+5, etc.

On 10 meters:

About S3 - S5 - S3 - S5, etc.

I have documented this with pictures from my panadapter for anyone who wants to see them.

Hooked my K3s up to a 12 A-Hr LiFePO battery and re-checked. ALL spikes faded almost into the noise floor. MOST of the spikes completely disappeared.

Oh, SS-30DV still ON. Switched off... POOF!

All of the noted spikes are gone!

Nice little compact package, and as I said, I WANT to like it. But I simply cannot use this directly on my radio anymore.

K6CRC Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2015 22:27 Send this review to a friend
Good and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Compact and appears to be well made. Convenient powerpoles on front. Quiet fan. No problem after several years of constant on.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2015 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Never a problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
YMMV .... but I've had two of these little buggers for 3 years... no RFI, no problems. Recently bought the updated version with the LED readout, still the same. No problems. They just sit there and work, day after day.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2015 11:29 Send this review to a friend
No problem with mine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I also bought one of these from Elecraft to use with my K3. When I first connected it I left the antenna disconnected and carefully tuned through all the bands. I found no indication of any power supply interference. When I reconnected the antenna, there was still no interference of any kind so that is not an issue. While operating the K3, the SS-30DV simply sits quietly in the background providing a steady 14.1 volts. I have no problem recommending this power supply. It does exactly what it's supposed to do.

N3XF Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2015 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered mine from Elecraft to use with my K3. I was somewhat concerned about hash, but after a month of use, I have found none from 80 through 432. It runs effortlessly with the K3 and also with an IC9100. I have always used Astron linear supplies, but this takes up much less space and loafs along at 14.1 volts and 18 amps. My tower is about 50 feet from the shack so that helps.

K6SBA Rating: 2/5 Apr 10, 2015 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Needs Work  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I really wanted to like this supply. It is very compact and lightweight. The PowerPoles are a real plus. It seemed like the ideal supply for portable/travel use.
However, my particular unit, generated RFI up and down the spectrum from 80 through 10 meters. When I first used the supply at my home station (with antennas 100 ft. from the supply)I did not notice the problem. As soon as I used the supply in situations where the antennas were 25-30 ft. always, the noise made the supply unusable. When I substituted my Samlec 1235M, the problem went away. On the other hand, some users have noise problems with the Samlec, so the problems on any of these switching supplies may vary from unit to unit.
I do not see any signs of output filtering in the construction of the SS-30DV. If the RFI could addressed it would be a great supply.
73 de K6SBA
David in Santa Barbara, CA

KB6HRT Rating: 2/5 Apr 10, 2015 09:02 Send this review to a friend
Needs HELP!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Brought a PW SS-30DV power supplys a month ago for a project I was working on, The only radios I can use it on is my UHF / VHF stuff, hash is that bad, there must not be any filtering, not something I will use for HF or low signal work!.............kb6hrt

W9AC Rating: 2/5 Apr 10, 2015 07:57 Send this review to a friend
RFI Generator  Time owned: more than 12 months
The vendor needs to address the RFI/EMC issues with this supply and offer a solution for units already sold and in use.