Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | PowerWerx SS-30DV Help

Reviews Summary for PowerWerx SS-30DV
PowerWerx SS-30DV Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $129.95 (119.95 street price)
Description: 13.85 VDC, 25 amp continous, 30 amp surge power supply. 2 Anderson Powerpole connectors (front) and 1/4 inch binding posts (rear). Fan cooled.

You can write your own review of the PowerWerx SS-30DV.

K4HPP Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2014 14:31 Send this review to a friend
Updated to a 5!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an updated review from my first one back in mid-December of 2010. I’ve had this supply for almost 3-1/2 years now and it has performed flawlessly for that entire time. My original assessment was a 4 rating because of fan noise, but in everyday use, I cannot even detect it at all. The supply came from the factory with a 13.8 volt output and was stated to be “not adjustable”. In fact, it is, and I have since changed the output to 14.1 volts. The new ones shipping today come with the higher voltage already set. This provides about 13.8 volts at the transceiver under transmitting load, accounting for drop across fuses, connectors, and DC supply cables. There is ZERO detectable noise generated by this power supply from 60 KHz all the way through 470 MHz on my Icom IC-7600 and IC-7100 rigs.

The supply runs very cool under all of my operating conditions and the fan has never, to my knowledge (and ears) kicked into the highest speed. I like the SS30DV so much, that I sold my Alinco DM-30MVT and bought a second Powerwerx SS30DV! The Alinco served me well, but I have had to replace the fan 3 times since it was new. Alinco uses a 24 volt fan that I have not been able to find anywhere (except from Alinco for $20 with shipping). I got fed up with having to change them. The bearings go bad in them and they become very mechanically noisy. Oil doesn’t cure the problem.

For the money, the Powerwerx SS30DV is a very good power supply. I now have one for my home station and one that travels with me to Florida every year for portable 4 operations.
KJ4NWZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2013 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Little SPS  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great little SPS. I've had mine almost 2 years and it's still going strong. I forgot to change the input voltage when i first got it and I couldn't figure out the hum everybody heard on my station. I took it to an old, eagle-eyed Elmer who quickly spotted the problem and flipped the switch. Problem solved! I highly recommed it.
AG6QR Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2013 20:51 Send this review to a friend
Small, works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On my unit, the voltage from the factory was set at about 14.7V. Officially, that's not adjustable, but if you're willing to void the warranty and open the supply, there's a little pot that can be tweaked -- it's the only easily accessible pot near the center of the supply, up high, on a daughterboard.

I set mine to 13.82V. When I key up my 75W transmitter, it drops to 13.78V, which seems to be reasonable regulation.

It has a variable speed cooling fan, which, in my experience, nearly always runs at low speed, even with only a receiver operating. Heavy high-power transmitting may bring the fan speed up. At low speed, the fan is audible, but not noisy.

I like the small size, high current, and the powerpoles on the front.
WA2LNC Rating: 3/5 Aug 25, 2013 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Hash is noted  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have noticed RF hash on 10 through 20 especially. Very annoying. Never had this issue with switching supplies.
KQ4KK Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2013 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Great with a FLEX  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using it a Field day and other temp locations with a FLEX 3000. Works great since the FLEX has two sets of power cables. Just put on 4 power poles and plugged it into the front of the power supply.
Have not had any RF hash noise issues with it yet. With the FLEX on HF, I would have SEEN the hash and heard it if present. My antennas were always a distance away from the radio.
REMOVED_NY7Z_2015-01-12 Rating: 3/5 Jan 29, 2013 23:23 Send this review to a friend
Noisy on HF  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this unit after reading the reviews about no noise on HF bands but that's just not true. Never had a problem with my Astron linear but wanted something more portable. Noise sweeps across the bands from 10-160M. I'll try installing toroids on the ac line-in and see if that helps...

Looks cute though
AE7UT Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2013 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for my uses  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've been using this for about 3 months now.
I use it to power my KX3 and charge my LiFe batteries. I love the powerpoles up front making hookup much easier.

It's very small and lightweight. Fits nice into my pack for weekend getaways.
KK5JY Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2012 15:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this in my portable kit, and have found no issues with it. It runs my FT-817, a 50W amplifier, and all the 12V accessories, and I have not yet heard the fan run to any perceptible volume at all.

No RFI noise was encountered on 40m through 10m.

The PowerPoles built into the front panel are a very handy feature for quick assembly and tear-down of the kit.

I also have the SS-30DM with the front panel meters. If you don't need the PowerPoles, the meters are also nice.

The power supply came from the factory configured for 240V. Be careful to select the proper voltage before you power it up the first time.
W4DXL Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2012 02:17 Send this review to a friend
Amazing, very small  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have stayed away from switching power supplies for a long time concerned about RF noise. So far I haven't found any, what a pleasant surprise! As for the fan, it's working but I don't hear it. The small size and light weight makes it very handy to use with my Icom 706.
HK3TKI Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2012 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Excelente fuente  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Soy amante de los equipos pequeños, portatiles y que en una emergencia cumplan esa función, he tenido dos de estas fuentes de poder y comprare una mas, es superliviana, silenciosa, la he trabajado con las lineas IC-706 y IC-7000, tambien con los 150 watios de un TS-50, ahora la uso con un FT-817 el cual me transmite con 20 watios, comprenla no se arrepentiran. Efrain