Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | PowerWerx SS-30DV Help

Reviews Summary for PowerWerx SS-30DV
PowerWerx SS-30DV Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $129.95 (119.95 street price)
Description: 13.85 VDC, 25 amp continous, 30 amp surge power supply. 2 Anderson Powerpole connectors (front) and 1/4 inch binding posts (rear). Fan cooled.
More info: http://www.powerwerx.com

You can write your own review of the PowerWerx SS-30DV.

HK3TKI Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2012 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Excelente fuente  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Soy amante de los equipos pequeños, portatiles y que en una emergencia cumplan esa función, he tenido dos de estas fuentes de poder y comprare una mas, es superliviana, silenciosa, la he trabajado con las lineas IC-706 y IC-7000, tambien con los 150 watios de un TS-50, ahora la uso con un FT-817 el cual me transmite con 20 watios, comprenla no se arrepentiran. Efrain piloto47@hotmail.com

AD5SX Rating: 3/5 Jan 18, 2012 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice supply, loud fan  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For my use it would be the perfect power supply for my shack if it weren’t for the loud fan noise. The company said to me when I called them it was working as advertised. My shack is a quiet room except when my linear amp is on which is not often. That has changed since installing the SS-30DV. When comparing the SS-30DV to my 8 year old Alinco DM-330MV, the Alinco is almost silent. It may be that by design the Alinco fan moves slower due to its large exterior heat sink. Otherwise the SS-30DV power supply works for my needs. I work most bands except 160M. Due to the loud fan during normal HF operation I moved this power supply to the shelf for backup or portable use. Sound can be subjective from one person to another so your experience may be different than mine.
Paul

W9AC Rating: 3/5 Oct 25, 2011 16:05 Send this review to a friend
Good portable power, some issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Pros:

- Solid, compact design;
- Uses 1/4-inch banana and PowerPole jacks;
- Supply allows for internally-adjustable output V;
- IEC AC Power Connector;
- RFI-free above 160m;
- Low cost;

Cons:

- IEC power entry connector does not use a common-mode filter like Astron SS series;
- Generates RFI in 160m band;
- Banana output jack not standard 0.75" spacing;
- Fan could be quieter under current demand.

Overall, an acceptable power supply for portable operations. 160m ops may want to look at other supplies.

In fairness to the SS-30DV, few switch-mode supples tried here are clean on 160m. Even when meeting FCC and CE compliance, switch-mode supplies should be subject to stricter EMC testing.

KJ4KLM Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2011 16:49 Send this review to a friend
Great supply  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have two of these units and I can only echo what everyone has said about no noise, reliable, good clean power. This was the only supply which carried this amount of juice with no noise that would fit in the space I required for this application.

The only thing I will add is that you should not take too seriously the specification that these supplies are not adjustable in Voltage or Amps. I needed a Power supply just this size but I needed it to give me at least 14.1 Volts. I called Powerwerx to see if they could make me one, and they told me sure, all they have to to do is make an adjustment. After hearing that I asked why they don't advertise it as adjustable, and they gave me their concerns about liability with all the "dangerous currents inside". I then opened up the one I had and found that there are two clearly marked and easily accessible varistors there to adjust the voltage and amps. Just like the Samlex Ps I have. The only difference is that Samlex trusts its users enough to put all this information in their user manuals.

Anyway, great product!

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2011 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Great PS  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Quiet, clean power, small, and BIG ADVANTAGE two PowerPole connectors on the front panel! Very attractive PS, works great with my FT-950 these days... KK8ZZ

WG2N Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2011 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased this to replace an Astron unit that served me well but didn't fit in the space I had for the PS. This is a small, compact unit and is solidly built (in Taiwan, btw). Has a very quality appearance with good construction and a thick aluminum face plate with beefy screws in the corners. they must have put all of the money onto the unit because the cardboard box is probably the cheapest available hihi.

The AC cord is detachable and nice and snug. The binding posts are quality and have good feel, no through-hole though. There are little rubber feet on the bottom with good grip so no desk scratches. The on switch is lit, not too brightly so, and has good positive feel. No obvious external ground point mounting on the rear, you might have to remove a screw and make one yourself.

I mounted this on its side under my desk with the $7 optional L-brackets which come with 4 black machine screws to bolt into the radio and no other hardware, so bring your own screw and washer set. This setup leaves me the PowerPoles to tap out of the front for any bench project, and looks clean otherwise. While I mainly run QRP and have several items attached, it feeds my RigRunner well and hasn't complained of any voltage irregularities so far.

The fan turns on for two seconds when you switch on the PS which I thought was strange but it actually serves to let me know that I have indeed turned it on (if I'm not looking) and I suppose provides a fan test. No noticeable hash etc on the bands.

I will update this review in a few weeks if anything else comes up that is noteworthy.

K6USN Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2011 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Small, quiet, functional  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a small switching supply I could pack along with my IC 7000 for portable and overseas use. I am a devoted Astron fan, but
size and weight was an issue. I have a Gamma Research power supply which is very quiet and reliable, but being unable to detach the power cord makes it harder to pack.
The PowerWerx SS 30 uses a plug in power cord and
the diversity of having both binding posts and Anderson Power Pole fittings is a big plus.
It is quiet under load and stays cool during long CW transmissions. No switching hash that I can find and it does not seem to be influenced by
stray RF (A weakness with my Astrons).

I would also add that this is a 'handsome' looking power supply. It complements the radio and just looks good.

AI0S Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2011 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding little power supply  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm a retired EE and this is one well designed power supply.
Tiny and light design. It has to be the highest power density/efficiency in a consumer switching power supply that I have seen or am aware of. Ideal for my grab and go rig which is a Flex 3000, Apple laptop (for PowerSDR), this little power supply and a Buddipole.
No hash. I use it on my Flex 3000 and I can't detect any switching hash or noise.
The front-mounted PowerPole connectors are convenient and reliable quick-disconnects but it also has a set of binding posts on the rear for versatility.
It uses a variable speed fan which is a feature other competing power supplies lack which I really appreciate.
The price is a bargain considering the high quality and design of this SS-30DV model.

KG6IRW Rating: 4/5 Feb 15, 2011 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Very good value.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this power supply mainly for the use of Powerpole connectors and the small size. Naturally, I was worried about hash and other noise generated but have been pleasantly surprised with it in use. Nothing I have been able to detect up and down the bands at my QTH. Being able to connect and reconnect my 2 rigs quickly has been quite a joy, too.

When I've pushed this little supply, the fan does step up with a small amount of air noise but, for the most part, it is as quiet as the old analog Astron I once had that used radiant cooling fins.

Connection wise, you get 2 30A Anderson PowerPole connections on the front and a set of binding posts on the back.

Here's about the only thing I've found that makes me scratch my head: Why did they use a non-standard spacing for the binding posts?

That is, all of my old banana plugs I've used on most other power supplies - and much of the test gear I've owned - cannot be used with the rear connectors. Not a big deal, of course, but this little supply has everything else going for it.

VA3OL Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2011 11:48 Send this review to a friend
nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a small power supply for my many portable operations and had narrowed down the choice when I suddenly saw this supply with anderson power pole connectors and decided to try it.

The power supply fan is quiet; at least during normal cw or ssb contacts but you should note that I have a humidifier running during the winter 10 feet from my operating position so I am tolerent of external noise.

Having had an Alinco DM330 which generated a fair amount of noise, especially on 80 meters I was concerned that this supply might also be noisey. (The Alinco at least allows you to 'dial' out the noise.) I am please to report that Powerwerx does not seem to have any hash on any band (that I could find).

I concur with K4HPP's comments on it's power handling. It is running my 100 watt radio with no problem.