Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | G Whip Zepp antenna Help

Reviews Summary for G Whip Zepp antenna
G Whip Zepp antenna Reviews: 37 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $39.00
Description: The G Whip Zepp antenna is an end fed but with a difference! It incorporates the 1/2 wave length wire radiator and also a G Whip tuned circuit and not the usual matching feeder line counterpoise used on many of the old designs, no baluns, no toroids, no matching transformers, no matching feederline, no resistors, no counterpoise, no radials, no earth, just a perfect tuned match. Nice and easy to turn to get the best signal or to cut the QRM. Each antenna comes complete with it's own sweep and no adjustment is needed. Can be mounted vertically, horizontally or sloping, during tests we found sloping performed the best.
More info: http://www.gwhip.co.uk/

You can write your own review of the G Whip Zepp antenna.

G8OMW Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2014 17:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent End Fed Antennas  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very good build quality better than I could do, I ordered a few of these and they all worked very well, no problems at all, put them up and take them down in minutes, you get a great service from Geoff who is just an email away at www.gwhip.co.uk. Highly recommended.

G0VLF Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2013 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Hand build, excellent quality, and resonant across the band.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have tried a number of different antennas over the years like most hams, looking for that ideal unit or the next best thing.

Came across G-Whip whilst looking for some information or off the shelf products on RF Common Mode Chokes as my new QTH has some QRM issues and as usual was looking to try another antenna or other solution.

G-Whip antennas, and you have a very wide choice to choose from, comes boxed with unbreakable kevlar transmission line and all the necessary components that you need to get it up and working such as; support line plus cable strain relief and fittings which are all stainless steel, top quality IP65 rubber gasket waterproof resin potted box which is carbon loaded and 3.5mm wall thickness, even the lid bolts have seals fitted to them to stop water ingress. Each box is fitted with low loss Teflon/PTFE connectors for coax feeder. Facia board insulator are also included. Ready to go with no required adjustment as each unit is individually hand built and tested. As Geoff states, "on the air in seconds". Every unit comes complete with its own spectrum sweep printout.

Regarding my QRM issues, like most hams your ability to hear weak MF and HF signals is limited by noise, generated mostly by solid-state electronic switches within your own house, conducted via the power line to your shack or from there to your antenna by common-mode current on the feed-line. Putting common-mode chokes on your feed-line will substantially reduce your received noise level. To address these issues, Geoff has produced a number of chokes and some of these are included with his antennas or you can purchase them individually, or have one built to your specification. Just send him an Email.

Cannot get better service than that!

As an ex engineer with over 22 years in the business, I can categorically say the antenna build quality and attention to detail is superb and second to none!

I would highly recommended Geoff's G-Whip products to anybody.

Ray de G0VLF

G6RRL Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2013 15:54 Send this review to a friend
Superb quality antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Previously only a VHF operator, I decided to expand my hobby into HF.
I bought a 40m G Whip end fed about a month ago and installed it within an hour - just attached to the eaves and sloped the wire down towards the ground, no tuning required. Everything is included in the package, down to the mounting bolt and amalgamating tape. My first (ever) HF contact was some 3000 miles away - astounding introduction to ham radio!
I've since been back to see Geoff and purchased a 20m and 10m, and several other bits, and been pleased with every item.
Build quality is second to none, and Geoff is ever helpful with support and advise on his products.
As the website says, once you buy one you'll be back for more.

VR2AX Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2013 15:38 Send this review to a friend
80 Metre End Fed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have a 80 metre version from Geoff for use at my Gower QTH in southern GW on my usually short visits. Ease of install and take down plus decent performance were the priorities.

This antenna exceeded expectations.

SWR - the as built antenna came with a scan which showed SWR centred on 3700 at 1.5:1 with plus or minus 62 kHz to 2.8:1 limits. Mine centred at 3620 at 1.2:1 with about that plus and minus bandwidth. The 80m version is supplied with extra wire coiled around the end insulator, several feet, so the resonant frequency can be adjusted down to the CW end simply by adjusting the position of the end insulator. Measurements on my Elecraft. The antenna was strung from a point on the house at about 25 feet high at the house end to about 6 feet high at the far end insulator end. Just about the only complaint I have is that the length of the antenna was a couple of feet longer than the positioning of the nearest tree in my garden.

First contact using 5 watts from the KX3 was with a G3 some 200 miles away who returned a 57 report with solid copy. I was copying him between 58 and 59 plus a tad at times on the KX3 meter with no preamp in circuit. A 15-20 minute contact with little difficulty followed.

Similar contacts followed. Subjectively the antenna seems to perform much the same as a half wave dipole but without the inconvenience of a long run of coax, at least for general use.

Quality of construction is above average. A lot of thought has gone into the finer details.

I will follow up with a more detailed report in due course. Meanwhile I have acquired a 20 meter end fed from Geoff for use when I am /P in Hong Kong. I will post a report on that version after testing.

Meanwhile I am more than happy with the 80 version.

EI9GMB Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2013 02:33 Send this review to a friend
recommend these antennas  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I have already the end fed for 10m and 15m and i use them for my qrp set up i would recommend also these antennas to any other hams. Check my log on qrz.com to see my qso contacts all done with geoff

end feed antennas i will buy the 20m end feed soon.
by the way all my qso are only on 10ws........not bad hi..........73s de Tony ei9gmb

EI3FNB Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2013 03:09 Send this review to a friend
20m End Fed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently purchased a 20m end fed from Geoff. Delivery was very fast, quality is obvious with every detail perfect and install is simple. The signal and ability to get heard with this antenna is superb. I will be going back for the 40m next.

Highly recommended.

M6PTG Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2013 04:38 Send this review to a friend
Up and Running  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just starting out and decided to buy 40m and 20m gwhips to get max power allowed into antenna. Very fast delivery and top quality components and construction. Both antennas up and running with strong signals and min swr even though 40M antenna mounted dog leg due space restrictions. So pleased have now decided to buy the 17m and 15m versions as well. Outstanding customer service received from Geoff Brown. Would fully recommend these antennas to others. 73 Peter

M0HDF Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2013 03:36 Send this review to a friend
So pleased, I got another one  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having bought a 20m resonant end fed, I got another zepp for the 15m band.

Top quality & performance, fast delivery,... as praised by many people.

Worked plenty of DX on cw and ssb running 20W with my 15m version with a 10m pole running as a vertical.

I would highly recommended to anybody.

73 de Angel M0HDF

G0AYD Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2013 05:23 Send this review to a friend
brilliant and well constructed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i am the proud owner of one of gwhips aerials.

its the 10-40 mtr off centre fed version.

what a magnificant piece of construction.
It is really good to see a product like this being produced in the uk.

The build quality is absorlutly brilliant.
if you need an aerial buy this one as ive seen the rest and they dont even come close to the finished products of Geoffs aerails.

N4RAY Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2013 12:05 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I orderd both the 40 and 20 meter end fed antennas from Geoff, I can not explain how happy I am with these antennas, I can go out throw a rope up a tree or 6' above ground, pullout the antenna hook it up and start talking, no tuner needed, its a great antenna for home or on the go, I use them with my qrp rig, and there is no other antenna that will get set up so quick to get you on the air, if you have been leary about getting one, get it you wont be disappointed
Rodney Ross