Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna
Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna Reviews: 42 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $500
Description: Unique Moebius Loop architecture provides enhanced performance over standard loops
Very low IMD, 30 dB Low-Noise Preamp insures good performance in both strong and weak signal environments
Up to 30 dB rejection of locally radiated noise compared to whip antennas
Figure eight directivity and deep nulls to further reduce interference.
Primary coverage range: 100 kHz to 30 MHz
Rejects power line noise
Rugged construction, easily mounts to a pole or flat vertical surface, 1m dia. aluminum loop, supplied with LNA, power inserter and DC power supply
No manual tuning necessary
No Home Owners Association problems; low profile, easy to camouflage and works at ground level
Modular design for easy installation and maintenance
Adjustable output level to optimize output for your radio
Internal Transmit / Receive Switch disconnects Antenna / Preamp from your receiver when transmitting
Made in the USA
More info: http://www.pixelsatradio.com/

You can write your own review of the Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna.

W8EZI Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2014 14:47 Send this review to a friend
follow-up report  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I rated this antenna back in July 2014 after I had had it for 2 months. I have more information now. It appears from the other reviews that this antenna will give different levels of performance at different frequencies when compared to an antenna that is different than mine. My transmitting antenna is a 75 meter horizontal loop at 35 feet high.

Please note my previous review. I will not repeat too much.

I found that there is almost never a time when my 75 meter horizontal loop will not outperform the pants of the Pixel loop. I described the performance on 40 meters as marginally better than my horizontal loop. It appears there are atmospheric conditions that now change my assessment. I found band conditions pretty bad today on just about every band including 40 meters. I switched over to the Pixel, and band just lit up with signals. I could hear sooo much better on 40 with the pixel antenna. This was true on all the bands from 40 on up. My horizontal loop is still the complete winner on 75 meters. I also discovered that chasing BC AM was very very nice with the pixel loop.

So, to summarize my latest discovery with this antenna, there are varying band conditions that ruin my reception on 40 meters and up. The pixel antenna will some how fix this. I remain clueless about the physics involved. I can only report what I hear. Making an A/B switch to select between your transmit antenna and the pixel is really a must. Pixel should probably offer it at a modest price as an accessory. I would not recommend using the Pixel without it. You need to be able to select the best signal.

It will also remind you each day why you spent so much money on a receive only antenna :-)

WB7QXU Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2014 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Great for Low Bands  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one for low bands and seems to work well on 160m also AM Broadcast. I live in a high noise environment and been fighting the PUD over Power pole makes too much noise. I originally bought it for that, but It is not that effective and power line noise nearby. It works just as their website demonstration. AM broadcast is great, 160m ,80m is great 40 nice too but above that it seems to tapper off and seem just as good as the other antennas. Mine is on a 15ft pole with TV antenna to rotate it.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2014 10:47 Send this review to a friend
Impressive Performance !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've been using my Pixel RF PRO-1B loop now for several months. I initially tried it out inside the basement where my ham shack is located and was amazed how well it performed inside. I later located it just outside at ground level and performance was as good and even better than inside naturally!

The best performance however was when I moved it about 50' from the house, approximately 10 feet off the ground mounted on an old TV antenna rotator. This allowed me to remotely rotate it to eliminate noise. It really shines from roughly 12 mHz. and below. It is much quieter and I often use it as a receive antenna on 30 meters and below while transmitting on other antennas.

Above 12 mHz, performance is comparable to the transmitting antennas I use. I use it often as an SWL antenna especially in the VLF range. I listen to European VLF BCB reception between 153 kHz. and 270 kHz. I've logged many stations being able to null out noise and interference by rotating the antenna.

The antenna is a bit pricey, but I feel it is worth the money and would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a great receive antenna.

Bill
K1FPV

KD5J Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2014 11:30 Send this review to a friend
DX Engineering special  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my eye on the PixelSat loop receive antenna for a long time. I always thought they looked neat because the antenna reminds of pictures of military radio operators from WWII and they often had loop antennas set up in the background.
DX Engineering a few months ago had a special sale for the PixelSat and it came with a free HyGain rotor. I couldn't resist so I ordered one. I had a five gallon bucket filled with concrete with an aluminum pipe in it. It makes a perfect stand to mount the antenna. I have it inside a wood frame storage building in the backyard (and out of the weather).
The first thing I checked out with the antenna are the nulls. They are very,very sharp! One evening at dusk I was listening to WREC 600 kHz in Memphis, TN, 100 air miles away. I was able to null out WREC and then I was able to hear, with no problems, WTM in Cedar Rapids, IA.
I use this antenna for reception on 160/80 with a K3. Because the nulls are so sharp, I find little need to turn it. It does a very good job to improve reception over a dipole because it picks up less. You can see the difference if you have a scope such as the P3.
Because of it's small physical size, it is not a magical "DX Catcher" but it brings down the noise enough to let me hear weak DX stations.
This antenna is viable solution for those with limited space for antennas.
This antenna was good choice for me to improve low band reception because of my limited space. I would not recommend the expense of adding a rotor as I hardly need to use mine unless you are into AM band DXing.

VA3MW Rating: 3/5 Jun 5, 2014 04:19 Send this review to a friend
It does work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my unit for over a year now and I use it at my contest station for my receiving antenna. The pre-amp failed me once and Pixel did replace it at their cost which was excellent.

The 2nd time the preamp failed, I was my fault due to a failure in the T/R relay that controls the switchover of which antenna does the receiving. These things happen. This is not Pixel's fault.

However, the expense of getting that repaired is high. As the pre-amp is 'potted' you can't just fix it yourself and it is disposable. To buy a new pre-amp is over $200 to order from Pixel plus shipping costs. This as the expense of a couple of parts that are likely easy to replace in a normal world. They do recommend you add an MFJ-1708 (another $80 US) to prevent things like this happening.

So, while I rate it a 4 for performance (apparently the Wellbrook is better, so they would get a 5), I rate it a 0 for supportability and the ability to fix it should something happen to it. Even a nearby lightning strike could do it in it seems. There is no lightning protection between the loop and the preamp unit.

Pixel is pretty good in communicating with me (although there was some confusion on the cost of the pre-amp, as when I called them, they told me it was $100-ish and when I followed up by email it was $200)

I am trying to be as objective as I can as this is an expensive solution. I might have to go back to my K9AY.

KJ6CA Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2014 06:07 Send this review to a friend
works for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been fighting the roar of the neighbors halogen lamp for quite a long time, used the anc4 which helped , but after putting the 1b on a 15ft mast with a roter . no more qrm. this ant works. I am very happy . bux well spent. kj6ca bob.

KO7AA Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2013 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Worth the $$$  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been doing without 160M for too long, I need some 160M points in the DX contests. I have a Cushcraft MA160V over 90 X 35' radials, but here in in-town Tucson the noise is a steady S-6 to 7. Very annoying! The radio here is a Ten Tec Omni VII, and the DSP is great on 40/80, but just doesn't seem like much help on 160. I have never used a receiving antenna, and don't have any free time to work on one to get it right. An active vertical or active loop? The Pixel had good reviews and it was delivered in 1 day from HRO in Phoenix.

This is a plug and play antenna, perfect. I had cemented a 6' pipe in the ground 175' from the house and blasted a 8" deep trench in the ground with a power washer before I got it. This antenna was completely mounted, hooked up and running 30 minutes after opening the box. The RX protective relay took 5 minutes. All the cables and connectors are included. There was 100' of their special low loss RG6 in the box and I had ordered another 100' for my set up.

I have nothing to compare it to, but the noise on 160M is now S-0. Most signals heard are S-0 to S-3, but it is all about signal to noise ratio, and the loop is QUIET!

In the ARRL 160M last weekend I sat on 1820 khz and called CQ with 800W into the MA160V. I worked 210 stations in 3.0 hours and don't think I missed any callers. Did a few A/B tests with the vertical and loop, but the loop was so quiet it was irresistible. Like working 10M. I'm certain it will be useful in the ARRL DX in Feb.

73, Bill KO7AA in Tucson, AZ

JRT3 Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2013 07:37 Send this review to a friend
Great in an atti, too!  Time owned: months
New QTH, after 36+ years in the old one, since my recent update - a one story garden home with a floored/walkup attic, buried utilities, and... an HOA that forbids outside antennas, other than a small DIRECTV dish! No problem - I carried the Pixel loop on a five foot mast to the new home - up the stairs and into a tripod base rested on the attic floor. I recently raised the loop to the top of the tripod's ability and secured it in the direction nulling a nearby 50kW daytime (850kHz) MW BC-er. Feeding it was simple - I found the wall F connector outlet nearest my office's desk (This house has RG6 runs - with splices - to two walls in nearly every room.), traced it to it's RG6 splice - unscrewed it - and attached a short run of RG6 QS to the Pixel loop - simple and fast installation.

To be blunt, this is the quietest reception I have ever experienced - day or night. Radio Australia on 9580 kHz was 30 over S9 earlier this Sunday morning - still ~S9 when they went off at 9 AM CDT. I could pickup EMI from dimmers in the eat-in breakfast area and the overhead pot lights. Replaced with regular switches fixed that. The raucous RFI buzz repeating throughout the RF spectrum was traced to a 12" powered subwoofer - securing it's AC supply during listening cured that. Moving my listening 'post' to the opposite side of the room got rid of the EMI the Palstar R30A received from my 25" LCD monitor/PC combo - poor shielding in that radio as the Icom R75 and Lowe HF-150 never suffered from it.

My Pixel loop weathered some pretty good storms outside - now that it's 'indoors' it's overly robust construction is not a necessity - the Wellbrook might just suffice in such an installation. Of course - I have no inclination to try - I am content with my Pixel loop! Oh, and more than a little pride to find and buy something still designed and made here in the US!

Okay... maybe add a rotator??

K5ML Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2013 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Product, Great Service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm very pleased with both the antenna and the company.

I installed the Pro 1B this past February. The longer I have the antenna, the more I appreciate it. I live in an antenna-restricted community and my only other option is to listen on a ground-mounted vertical. More often than not, on the higher bands, the vertical hears DX better, but not always. From 40 meters on down, I've gotten to where I use the Pro 1B almost exclusively. In addition to being quieter, it has sharp nulls that come in handy for squelching plasma TV noise, other QRN or stateside QRM. I bought a small TV rotor to turn it. Usinga rotor to get maximum benefit from the antenna is highly recommended. This week I worked XR0ZR on 160 meters. The Pro 1B was the difference between hearing and not hearing him and this has happened on many other occasions as well.

The reason why I like the company is because they are very good about responding to problems. About 2 months after having the antenna it started intermittently not working. Pixel sent me another preamp and coax jumper believing that would almost surely that would solve the problem. It seemed to work at first and then it started cutting out intermittently again. Finally, I decided to physically shake the loop when it was functioning to see if I could make it stop working. Sure enough, it did and after shaking it several times more, it finally started working. I e-mailed Pixel, they sent me another loop and that fixed the problem. When they send a replacement part, they send a postpaid label to return the defective part. Just drop the old part in the box and drop it off at Fed-Ex.

In summary, I highly recommend the Pro 1B because it delivers as promised and the company is quick to respond when there's a problem.

KR4JA Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2013 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Results  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the Pro 1B for about a week, and boy am I impressed. I had it mounted at 30' for a few days on a chimney mount (with rotator), then moved it into the woods behind the house at 7' (fixed N/S) Little if any difference except maybe somewhat quieter near the ground, as others have commented on (although I will probably add a rotor in the future since there are noticeable nulls on some signals). I've mainly stayed on the low bands, 40-160M, and boy does the Pixel shine there compared to either dipoles (75 &40) or inv L (160). So much better S/N ratio, drops the noise floor substantially while not dropping the RX'd signal as much as the noise floor (the lower in frequency, the better S/N ratio). I'm using it with a FLEX 6500 and the combination of an SDR with the Pixel Loop is really paying off. I find myself using the Pixel 90% of the time, and 100% of the time at night on 40M-160M, as the nighttime signal pattern favors the Loop. I have a 50KW AM radio station 6 miles to my west, and I have no problem with overload (the Loop really makes it fun to monitor the AM BCB at night). See my QRZ page to see the actual signal differences on the Panadapter with/without the Pixel, as well as links to YouTube videos from others showing the difference.

This really opens up a new world for weak signal detection in noisy conditions. Believe the hype...the Pixel Mag Loop downright plays....