Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Pixel Technologies Active Magnetic Loop Antenna PRO 1B Help

Reviews Summary for Pixel Technologies Active Magnetic Loop Antenna PRO 1B
Pixel Technologies Active Magnetic Loop Antenna PRO 1B Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $500
Description: Unique Moebius Loop architecture provides enhanced performance over standard loops
Very low IMD, 30 dB Low-Noise Preamp insures good performance in both strong and weak signal environments
Up to 30 dB rejection of locally radiated noise compared to whip antennas
Figure eight directivity and deep nulls to further reduce interference.
Primary coverage range: 100 kHz to 30 MHz
Rejects power line noise
Rugged construction, easily mounts to a pole or flat vertical surface, 1m dia. aluminum loop, supplied with LNA, power inserter and DC power supply
No manual tuning necessary
No Home Owners Association problems; low profile, easy to camouflage and works at ground level
Modular design for easy installation and maintenance
Adjustable output level to optimize output for your radio
Internal Transmit / Receive Switch disconnects Antenna / Preamp from your receiver when transmitting
Made in the USA
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/pxl-rf-pro-1b

You can write your own review of the Pixel Technologies Active Magnetic Loop Antenna PRO 1B .

KC0EKQ Rating: 3/5 Jan 25, 2017 01:54 Send this review to a friend
A decent loop, but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used this loop for over a year, at various distances from the house, various heights above the ground, and most often with a good rotator that was certainly overkill for the weight of the antenna but made things solid and sure.

I liked using it. For a time it was about the cleanest antenna in my little 'farm' of antennas, being generally less noisy than any LWs or multiband dipoles/slopers I could properly mount and ground.

It works well. It has a big wide range and is sensitive and nulls can be steep and balanced.

But...

It exhibits a hissier noise floor than it should, or than it could (experience with other commercial loops proved this to me) and that noise eventually becomes a detriment to good listening. It's not terrible, and not as noticeable at first, but as time and use grow, it becomes quite evident that the hiss is consistent regardless of frequency, mounting height or location/rotation.

Its preamplifier is a little unreliable, and eventually mine crapped out in just a little over a year (as I have seen in others' reviews here, in some cases more than a few times). I hope a new preamp design or the use of more robust components is in the offing from DX Engineering. All I know is I couldn't do the slightest amount of repair on it myself as it is all epoxied/potted... and the replacement is almost half the price of the entire antenna. If there was some way to leave *some* user-serviceable components without giving away the full circuit design, it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to fix a few dollars of components than to shell out almost $200 for a whole new preamp.

I'd stopped using the Pixel loop when I started using the Wellbrook ALA1530LNP, which exhibits a substantially better S/N and none of the odd little hiss I'd noticed in the Pixel, but I had no intention of getting rid of the Pixel; in fact I'd been working up/looking forward to some phasing experiments and lots of comparison testing between the two loops, but then the Pixel's preamp died and that was that.

The thing is, I always shop America first if I possibly can; I certainly gave the Pixel a good run, and it worked well for a good bit of time. I don't think it's a bad product at all, it's a decent, competently designed antenna.

But it costs more and does less than its main competitor, and that's a problem indeed. I can't quite see why anyone would prefer the Pixel when the Wellbrook is simply a better all around antenna for at least $50 less (which includes shipping).

The way I see it now after using both loops for a good long while, is that the Pixel's biggest drawback is simply that it's not a Wellbrook.

KK7JS Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2017 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Solved my QRN problem  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a vertical antenna and had s9+20 noise level on 80, 60, and 40m even with low A and K indices. Could not locate any problems in my shack that would explain that amount of noise.

I came across this while looking for something that I hoped would cut the noise down even just a few S-units so that I might use those bands again.

A friend of mine and I put the loop up on an old 10ft length of mast about 30ft from the house. First time testing it out I went to listen for TL8AO on 40m and the usual noise level obliterated his signal. Activated the mag loop connected to the RX antenna port and...there he was loud and clear. Called him and made it into the log for a new one.

While using it on 80 and 60m the noise was typically s5-6 but turning the loop null in a certain direction reduced it further to s2-3. Eventually figured out that the largest source of QRN was a nearby arcing utility pole. Talked to a power company engineer and they came out and corrected the problem.

With that problem eliminated I can turn the loop more freely and I really appreciate how well it allows me hear faint signals. It's made the difference between having a QSO and listening to static.

K8MP Rating: 2/5 Aug 8, 2016 10:15 Send this review to a friend
So far, not so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My installation:
The Pro 1B is about 8 feet off the ground on a TV rotator. It is about 200 feet from the neighborhood 7 KV power line and about 50 feet from where the house drop enters my home.
FYI: The unit is about two years old. I bought it from a local friend who is moving.

Initial impressions:
The Pro 1B's noise floor is higher on all bands when compared to my other RX-only antenna, which is an 80-meter delta loop about ten feet off the ground. Its noise floor is also higher than some of my xmiting antennas. It appears to be white noise and can't be nulled out with the rotator so I'm guessing it's inherent in the system.
It also picks up some man-made noises (sounds like a noisy switching P/S) that I can bearly hear on my other antennas. Some can be almost nulled out with the rotator.

Pertinent info:
Almost all signals are substantially weaker on the Pixel. That would be fine if the S/N ratio was better.
The Pixel is in about the same location as the RX-only delta loop.
There is much more coax between the antenna and my shack than I need. The excess is coiled up in a crawl space. I'm hesitant to cut it in case I need to move the antenna but I will if someone gives me a good reason to do it.
Suggestions anyone?

SHEETS_GUY Rating: 2/5 Jul 7, 2016 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Had to Sell It  Time owned: more than 12 months
Follow-up to an earlier review. Ended up having to sell this when the THIRD head amp went bad. I don't know if it was the design or the build but the amps never lasted more than 12 months. Just saw they were acquired by DX Engineering, a company with a good reputation for build quality.

Hopefully they redesign that amp because they just don't hold up.

AK9S Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2016 12:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As compared to an end-fed 69-foot Inverted "L" at 45 feet height in a suburban setting:

LW - loop receives stations which the Inverted "L" cannot, quite impressive.

160M - Significantly quieter, noise floors of S0 to S1 on the loop and S7 to S8 on the Inverted "L". Can hear weaker stations much better, less hash and noise on incoming signals means I can use a lot less DSP processing on my rig. There is a definite 2 to 6 dB SNR advantage on this band measured on a waterfall display compared to the Inverted "L".

80M - It is a toss up. Sometimes the loop hears better and other times it does not. SNR is about the same between both antennas.

60M to 12M - Inverted "L" always wins.

10M - Loop wins, as the Inverted "L" is way too long to perform well on this band. Interesting finding.

Even though the loop lowers the noise floor on all bands, it also lowers signal strengths. If both are lowered equally or signal strength is lowered more than the noise floor, then there is no SNR advantage in using the loop.

The loop offers an advantage below 80M with improved SNR. That said, only a few times have I witnessed the loop pulling out a station that could not be heard on my Inverted "L". That said, signals capture by the loop always sound cleaner.

The loop is a great antenna for addressing local noise issues and/or those wanting "big" antenna performance in a small footprint. Astonishing performance to say the least.

However, if you already own a decent antenna, there is little point in erecting this loop unless you want less noise on the 160M band with a nominal improvement in SNR.

NI6S Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2015 03:52 Send this review to a friend
WOW....AMAZING!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just wanted to echo what the reviewers with positive feedback have shared. In my case, I am in an area where no outdooor antennas are allowed. I am on the top level of my apt bldg, so that helps a bit. I placed the loop near the window, which is the best I can do. This antenna was a last resort, as nothing else would work. I tried wire around the window pane and even an amplified antenna stuck to the window which both received nothing but hash. Once the loop was installed, it was magic! I can now hear it all, from BCB to 10m!! I decided to install a rotor to peak the signal, as the listening post is about 20' away. The rotor makes no huge diffeerence, but sometimes raises the signal 1-2 db, especially on MW. I am using this as my only shortwave antenna, as I cannot transmit. Glad I brought this on my deployment, as I would've otherwise been super bored! Thumbs up to Pixel!!

KB1VXP Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2015 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent receive antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I mounted antenna 50' from home, and placed it 8' above the ground. This antenna is nothing short of amazing. Yes, it is expensive, however, it makes the difference between not hearing a station, and hearing it very well. This antenna shines on 75m band in the summer months especially. Initially I mounted in attic with mixed results. Spoke to manufacturer and they advised moving outside. What a difference it made. It works marginally better than my wire antenna on 20m. Much improvement on 40m. But on 75m...WOW. Works wonders on AM broadcast band as well. I mounted on a rotator to null out interference. Overall, I'd give this antenna a solid 10 out of 10. Rarely does a product do everything the manufacturer claims. This antenna does and I'd recommend it for those who are plagued by noise/interference problems.

KA1IS Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2015 22:12 Send this review to a friend
excellent quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Installed about 8 feet above ground with TV rotator, 175 feet of coax. The antenna is very well constructed. Easy installation.

My QTH is similar to a previous review. Rural area. Not much man-made noise. But the loop is great for summer QRN (ie., distant lightning) on the low bands. And is phenomenal for AM MW broadcast during the day.

As others have noticed, signal levels are lower than with full size dipoles, but the SN ratio can be better on the loop.

Tom
KA1IS

WA9UKB Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2015 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Antennas  Time owned: more than 12 months
Thought I'd would share a review on the Pixel Loops. I purchased one at Dayton Hamvention in 2014 and had some issues but due to warranty and superb customer support this was fixed. The reason for purchase was due to a neighbors Plasma TV that can be heard on a transistor pocket radio a block away.

So if one works great how about two, so I purchased another one from Inlogis which now manufactures them, right after the 2015 Hamvention
and I also purchased a DX Engineering NCC-1 Phase controller to use with two Pixel Pro 1B loops and two remote control RCA antenna rotors for both.

I mounted the loops at 8 feet high and 65 feet apart, and this setup works Fantastic I can electrically rotate the signal or null out a interfering signal or QRM or QRN with great results, the two loops out perform my 160 Carolina Windom a 80 meter and 40 meter resonate dipoles on receive at my location. I'm also able to listen to AM medium wave broadcast listening to one station and electrically null one station out and hear another on the same frequency.

When I switch to the loops the signal to noise ratio increases and I have been able to hear Amateurs on 75 and 40 meters that others within 30 miles to my local cannot hear or struggle with.

Now after living in a subdivision for 43 years I finally can listen to Long Wave, Broadcast, HF and Shortwave with out the high level 20 to 30 over 9 noise from Plasma TV's and noisy 10 over 9 neighborhood power line noise.

Fantastic Antennas!

Doug is a great individual at Inlogis to work with.

Link is https://inlogisinc.com/other-products/ham-amateur-radio-antennas

KB0RDL Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2015 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Great for reducing RFI  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had mine for about six weeks and I use it only to receive on my ICOM R-75 receiver. I'm only interested in 40 and 80 meters LSB at night although I have listened to 20 meters USB in the daytime. I haven't tried it on AM shortwave or other amateur frequencies.

It does a great job of removing RFI. I could barely hear even strong stations with an end-fed wire or a random wire even with a receive tuner. Local RFI is very strong. With the loop, however, the RFI is reduced down to between a manageable nuisance level to eliminating it altogether. For me that was worth the $500 plus $60 for a cable.

On the other hand, it will not bring distant stations up except in the limited sense of eliminating RF interference. Distant and weak stations will still be distant and weak although they will be much clearer. The surface area of the 38" loop is just not big enough to catch weak signals sufficiently to make them stronger. The magnetic loop antenna is not a signal amplifier; it is an RFI reducer and a very good one at that.

There is talk of producing an 8 ft. magnetic loop but that would have to be assembled on site or picked up at the factory, and it would be very expensive.

On my antenna the amplifier seems pretty vulnerable being outside at the base of the loop. It can't be protected from a nearby lightning strike or surge without going outside to disconnect it. Disconnecting the coax inside at the switch will only protect the radio. There must be a good reason for having the amplifier right next to the loop but it's sure inconvenient.

One wonderful feature is their anything goes one year warranty. On the other hand once that warranty is run out repairs are going to cost big bucks, especially for a broken amplifier or damaged antenna. This antenna is like a lot of complex radios today and not amenable to consumer repairs. You either sent it in or replace whatever went bad -- there's no "fixing" things on site.

The inside switch gets pretty warm so it's important to turn if off when not using the antenna. I assume this shuts down the outside amplifier as well and that may supply some lightning surge protection in itself.

A great product that fulfills its primary mission very well but has a few other issues. I'd buy it again. Do you need a rotor? I just walk out on the deck and manually move it a little once in a while. I need to null out some nearby RFI that comes from a fixed source so I'm really limited in how much I can turn it anyway. Your situation could be different,