Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna
Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna Reviews: 47 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $500
Description: Unique Moebius Loop architecture provides enhanced performance over standard loops
Very low IMD, 30 dB Low-Noise Preamp insures good performance in both strong and weak signal environments
Up to 30 dB rejection of locally radiated noise compared to whip antennas
Figure eight directivity and deep nulls to further reduce interference.
Primary coverage range: 100 kHz to 30 MHz
Rejects power line noise
Rugged construction, easily mounts to a pole or flat vertical surface, 1m dia. aluminum loop, supplied with LNA, power inserter and DC power supply
No manual tuning necessary
No Home Owners Association problems; low profile, easy to camouflage and works at ground level
Modular design for easy installation and maintenance
Adjustable output level to optimize output for your radio
Internal Transmit / Receive Switch disconnects Antenna / Preamp from your receiver when transmitting
Made in the USA
More info: http://www.pixelsatradio.com/

You can write your own review of the Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna.

KJ6CA Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2014 06:07 Send this review to a friend
works for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been fighting the roar of the neighbors halogen lamp for quite a long time, used the anc4 which helped , but after putting the 1b on a 15ft mast with a roter . no more qrm. this ant works. I am very happy . bux well spent. kj6ca bob.

KO7AA Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2013 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Worth the $$$  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been doing without 160M for too long, I need some 160M points in the DX contests. I have a Cushcraft MA160V over 90 X 35' radials, but here in in-town Tucson the noise is a steady S-6 to 7. Very annoying! The radio here is a Ten Tec Omni VII, and the DSP is great on 40/80, but just doesn't seem like much help on 160. I have never used a receiving antenna, and don't have any free time to work on one to get it right. An active vertical or active loop? The Pixel had good reviews and it was delivered in 1 day from HRO in Phoenix.

This is a plug and play antenna, perfect. I had cemented a 6' pipe in the ground 175' from the house and blasted a 8" deep trench in the ground with a power washer before I got it. This antenna was completely mounted, hooked up and running 30 minutes after opening the box. The RX protective relay took 5 minutes. All the cables and connectors are included. There was 100' of their special low loss RG6 in the box and I had ordered another 100' for my set up.

I have nothing to compare it to, but the noise on 160M is now S-0. Most signals heard are S-0 to S-3, but it is all about signal to noise ratio, and the loop is QUIET!

In the ARRL 160M last weekend I sat on 1820 khz and called CQ with 800W into the MA160V. I worked 210 stations in 3.0 hours and don't think I missed any callers. Did a few A/B tests with the vertical and loop, but the loop was so quiet it was irresistible. Like working 10M. I'm certain it will be useful in the ARRL DX in Feb.

73, Bill KO7AA in Tucson, AZ

JRT3 Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2013 07:37 Send this review to a friend
Great in an atti, too!  Time owned: months
New QTH, after 36+ years in the old one, since my recent update - a one story garden home with a floored/walkup attic, buried utilities, and... an HOA that forbids outside antennas, other than a small DIRECTV dish! No problem - I carried the Pixel loop on a five foot mast to the new home - up the stairs and into a tripod base rested on the attic floor. I recently raised the loop to the top of the tripod's ability and secured it in the direction nulling a nearby 50kW daytime (850kHz) MW BC-er. Feeding it was simple - I found the wall F connector outlet nearest my office's desk (This house has RG6 runs - with splices - to two walls in nearly every room.), traced it to it's RG6 splice - unscrewed it - and attached a short run of RG6 QS to the Pixel loop - simple and fast installation.

To be blunt, this is the quietest reception I have ever experienced - day or night. Radio Australia on 9580 kHz was 30 over S9 earlier this Sunday morning - still ~S9 when they went off at 9 AM CDT. I could pickup EMI from dimmers in the eat-in breakfast area and the overhead pot lights. Replaced with regular switches fixed that. The raucous RFI buzz repeating throughout the RF spectrum was traced to a 12" powered subwoofer - securing it's AC supply during listening cured that. Moving my listening 'post' to the opposite side of the room got rid of the EMI the Palstar R30A received from my 25" LCD monitor/PC combo - poor shielding in that radio as the Icom R75 and Lowe HF-150 never suffered from it.

My Pixel loop weathered some pretty good storms outside - now that it's 'indoors' it's overly robust construction is not a necessity - the Wellbrook might just suffice in such an installation. Of course - I have no inclination to try - I am content with my Pixel loop! Oh, and more than a little pride to find and buy something still designed and made here in the US!

Okay... maybe add a rotator??

K5ML Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2013 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Product, Great Service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm very pleased with both the antenna and the company.

I installed the Pro 1B this past February. The longer I have the antenna, the more I appreciate it. I live in an antenna-restricted community and my only other option is to listen on a ground-mounted vertical. More often than not, on the higher bands, the vertical hears DX better, but not always. From 40 meters on down, I've gotten to where I use the Pro 1B almost exclusively. In addition to being quieter, it has sharp nulls that come in handy for squelching plasma TV noise, other QRN or stateside QRM. I bought a small TV rotor to turn it. Usinga rotor to get maximum benefit from the antenna is highly recommended. This week I worked XR0ZR on 160 meters. The Pro 1B was the difference between hearing and not hearing him and this has happened on many other occasions as well.

The reason why I like the company is because they are very good about responding to problems. About 2 months after having the antenna it started intermittently not working. Pixel sent me another preamp and coax jumper believing that would almost surely that would solve the problem. It seemed to work at first and then it started cutting out intermittently again. Finally, I decided to physically shake the loop when it was functioning to see if I could make it stop working. Sure enough, it did and after shaking it several times more, it finally started working. I e-mailed Pixel, they sent me another loop and that fixed the problem. When they send a replacement part, they send a postpaid label to return the defective part. Just drop the old part in the box and drop it off at Fed-Ex.

In summary, I highly recommend the Pro 1B because it delivers as promised and the company is quick to respond when there's a problem.

KR4JA Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2013 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Results  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the Pro 1B for about a week, and boy am I impressed. I had it mounted at 30' for a few days on a chimney mount (with rotator), then moved it into the woods behind the house at 7' (fixed N/S) Little if any difference except maybe somewhat quieter near the ground, as others have commented on (although I will probably add a rotor in the future since there are noticeable nulls on some signals). I've mainly stayed on the low bands, 40-160M, and boy does the Pixel shine there compared to either dipoles (75 &40) or inv L (160). So much better S/N ratio, drops the noise floor substantially while not dropping the RX'd signal as much as the noise floor (the lower in frequency, the better S/N ratio). I'm using it with a FLEX 6500 and the combination of an SDR with the Pixel Loop is really paying off. I find myself using the Pixel 90% of the time, and 100% of the time at night on 40M-160M, as the nighttime signal pattern favors the Loop. I have a 50KW AM radio station 6 miles to my west, and I have no problem with overload (the Loop really makes it fun to monitor the AM BCB at night). See my QRZ page to see the actual signal differences on the Panadapter with/without the Pixel, as well as links to YouTube videos from others showing the difference.

This really opens up a new world for weak signal detection in noisy conditions. Believe the hype...the Pixel Mag Loop downright plays....

VE4AMN Rating: 4/5 Sep 21, 2013 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Handles the plasma TV  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this to manage intense interference from a plasma TV. My XYL tolerates my hobby... she will not accept that it curtails her TV time. This knocks out the interference sufficiently for me to copy signals on 160 and 80 that otherwise would be obliterated. It seems to have about 20db front to side. I rotate it using an old TV antenna rotator and it is up about 8 feet on a pole set in concrete. It is not as dramtic as the video, but works well. It is a little pricey, which is why I gave it a 4

HB9AIK Rating: 4/5 Jul 25, 2013 01:22 Send this review to a friend
Works for me, more tests needed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Preliminary review only to underline the apparent need for a rotator:

Just installed the PRO-1B loop at my home qth in Zurich/Switzerland to replace an aging Dx-One. Made some tests on 40m with Italian stations and found the side nulls on this skywave quite noticeable. Only if oriented correctly I get a clearly improved s/n over my 7m vertical (with Collins 180L-3 tuner).

Looks promising, but I need to install a rotator before I can really compare the results with what I used to have with the omnidirectional Dx-One.

N0AH Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2013 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Amazing with elminating stateside QRN on 40M  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Compared it to just a vertical, and a K9AY commercial loop by Array Solutions and in the QRN static of late May, I would give the Pixel an advantage- it just had a lower noise floor then the K9AY system, S2-3 compared to S3-4, while seeming to boost the reception of signals from over 2,000 miles away on a 40M net being monitored in S9 static off just a stand alone vertical. Not saying it beats a beverage, or the K9AY system in a low noise environment, etc......but what an asset to add to a low band Rx system- I can not believe how well it works- The Pixel I tested was in a backyard mounted 10 feet above ground on a small TV rotor- Property is surrounded by power lines and has a moderate low band noise environment- Thx to W0RIC for allowing me to test this antenna- I know Rick has been very pleased with the antenna-

MAKO36 Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2013 07:36 Send this review to a friend
Just as promised and then more!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Spoke to J.J. about getting information on the Pixel loop. Decided on the Pixel loop over the British loop being that the British loop in my opinion is way too overrated and forbid the chance should something go wrong it would end up being a "long distance romance" causing delays.Also the Pixel loop has a center support in the loop and there is no tuning required. I was promised on getting the loop Friday. It was delivered as promised. They definitely went out of their way to make sure it arrived safely/intact and inside everything was layed out in their appropriate cavity. I marveled at the packaging- they take pride in what they sell! The loop and parts are well made- being a machinist I know what that feels like. I was reassured over the phone a concern I had regarding the life of the nylon washers acting as insulators between the mast stub and preamp and was reassured that they were going to last awhile. It went up yesterday and I have been up eversince tuning in stations that before were buried in QRM but had a few static crashes due to the storms in the midwest(hope all goes well with the poor folks!). In summary I can in good faith highly recommend Pixel Technologies and the loop they sell, let alone the outstanding customer service they provide. Now I gotta go get some much needed sleep.

K2UE Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2013 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live adjacent to both a major mall, with gobs of gas-discharge lighting, AND major HV transmission lines. My noise level on 160m was unspeakably bad most of the time, and not a lot better on 80m, using an Alpha Delta Sloper that seems to get out just fine when transmitting. Today I installed a Pro-1B. To my amazement 160m noise levels are a full 20dB lower, while the signals seem very close to the same strength -- ~20dB better SNR! I am a happy man.