Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna
Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna Reviews: 43 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $500
Description: • Unique Moebius Loop architecture provides enhanced performance over standard loops
• Very low IMD, 30 dB Low-Noise Preamp insures good performance in both strong and weak signal environments
• Up to 30 dB rejection of locally radiated noise compared to whip antennas
• Figure eight directivity and deep nulls to further reduce interference.
• Primary coverage range: 100 kHz to 30 MHz
• Rejects power line noise
• Rugged construction, easily mounts to a pole or flat vertical surface, 1m dia. aluminum loop, supplied with LNA, power inserter and DC power supply
• No manual tuning necessary
• No Home Owners Association problems; low profile, easy to camouflage and works at ground level
• Modular design for easy installation and maintenance
• Adjustable output level to optimize output for your radio
• Internal Transmit / Receive Switch disconnects Antenna / Preamp from your receiver when transmitting
• Made in the USA
More info: http://www.pixelsatradio.com/

You can write your own review of the Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna.

WA4D Rating: 4/5 Dec 21, 2012 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Photo of my Pixel Pro 1B  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not much to add that hasn't already been said.

My own headline on the Pixel RF Pro-1B

1) The antenna reduces the noise floor (as much as 20 db by my crude estimate) and I did "pull out" weak stations that were not copyable with a long wire and it's attendant electrical noise.

2) The Directionality of the antenna does attenuate spurious signals noticeably.

Quality-- as others have noted: Excellent.

Photo here of how I chose to configure my RF Pro 1B

mike/ wa4d.net

W4AFK Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2012 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent low-profile HF loop antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just a quick note to mention that the two products I bought from Pixel are still doing wonders.

For my home satellite XM system it was the PRO-600 and for amateur radio/SWL it was the RF PRO-1B.

I am constantly amazed at the performance of the RF PRO-1B compared to other antennas I use. It's been reliable and an excellent performer. You can see it on QRZ.com

Kudos ;-)

N6HBJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2012 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Perfomance is excellant on 40meters and below. Marginal on 20   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I currently operate all indoor antennas due to owning a condo and HOA restrictions. My HF antenna at the moment is an end fed unbalanced 100 foot wire strung across the ceiling of several rooms. (A buddipole is in the works). I have a very high noise level that averages 9 S-Units on the entire HF spectrum. The loop was set-up indoors as all my other antennas are.

The Pixel Loop averages a 1.5 to 2 S-Unit drop in my noise level and the signal to noise ratio improves fantastically, making signals that are barely copyable a total comfortable read. The results on 40 meters and below are incredible and well worth the price.

On 20 meters I did not notice a significant improvement in signal to noise ratio. Often times the loop was worse than the wire. I friend had the same results on 20 meters with his loop.

I cannot evealuate above 20 meters until I have a decent resonant antenna for those bands. But just using it as a receive only antenna on the higher bands did not yield a lot of strong signals and I continued to have a high level of nosie. This leads me think that performance on those bands is not the best. However, take into account that the loop is indoors and not in the best postion to begin with so users with externally mounted antennas may yield better results throughout the entire HF spectrum.

Even if performance at 20 meters and above is not improved, the drastic improvement on the lower bands, to me, makes the price worth it.

This is just my own personal experience so far after only a few days.

73 Mike N6HBJ

W2MV Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2012 12:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for Several Purposes  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had two (related) main reasons to acquire the Pixel RF PRO-1B antenna: 1. A steerable "noise" antenna for use with my ANC-4 noise canceller, and 2. The ability to do DF work with local RFI.

I've had the antenna up and running for more than a month now and don't regret my purchase. The antenna is mounted with a small TV-antenna type rotator on a mast attached to a house gable bracket. Within the past couple of days I used it to DF some local RFI on 20 meters, using the deep nulls broadside to the loop. The house emanating the RFI was verified (now to find the source, another topic.)
I have also used the loop as a noise antenna input to my ANC-4 with great success...much better than the various other noise antennas I've tried over the years.

Additionally, the loop appears helpful for DX work on the low bands. So far, I've only tried it on 40M against my full-size dipole. The received signal levels are generally lower compared to the dipole, but the background noise is significantly lower...making the S/N ratio better at times.
The antenna also seems to be a decent lower HF and MF/BCB antenna.

After the winter DX season on the lower bands, I'll have a better idea of it's worth against my full-sized dipoles.
The antenna is easy to set up and construction is solid. I also like the feature that shuts power to the wideband amp while transmitting.

AB4BJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2012 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent receive antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
RF Pro 1B

This antenna is a great performer. Although I have not used it very long, I am seeing excellent results. I use the 1B with my SteppIR Big IR Mark III (with 80 meter coil). The 1B has a much lower noise floor than the SteppIR. This allows me to pull out signals on all bands that are covered up by noise with the SteppIR.

I installed the antenna "in the trees" in my back yard. This required about 225 feet of RG6 QS coax, but the pre-amp works just fine with this long coax run. I also installed the antenna on a light duty rotor and this works well to use the 25-30 db nulls to tune out unwanted signals.

Here's a link to a photo of my installation:

I agree with the other positive comments recorded here on eham. I highly recommend this antenna to anyone who is looking for a great receive only option to compliment your transmit antenna(s).

Bill
AB4BJ

W8GTX Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2012 22:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had model 1B for a few days now in my noisy urban environment. Researched this thoroughly, talking (email) with folks who own one and spent many hours going through the various news groups. Really wanted to be sure before I laid down the money on this. The build quality is very good. Easy to mount and sturdy and American made. The 1B is more a mechanical improvement than electrical over the 1A. Compared with my 140' dipole, this outperforms it on many levels. The biggest being the low noise floor. Even when the received signal is weaker compared with the dipole, the noise floor is so low you could hear a flea burp. No regrets and it sure is nice to hear clean loud signals on 160m. Something my dipole could only dream of. I mounted it 10' ground mounted as far away from surrounding homes as possible.

NI5O Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2012 10:47 Send this review to a friend
Great little receiving antenna...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using the Pixel RF-1B antenna for over four months now. It is my primary receiving antenna for 30 to 160 Meters. Mine is mounted vertically with the base about 10 feet above ground level. As others have noted, this antenna pulls signals out of the noise due its low noise nature. It hears substantial better than my transmitting antennas and on average it seems to improve signals by 4 to 6 db. above the average noise level (though the absolute S meter readings are less). It also can be connected to your transceiver to power down the pre-amp and ground the antenna during transmitting. It is well worth the price, especially if you are situated on a smaller urban lot where large HF antennas are prohibited. I have heard many stations on 160, 80 and 40 meters that were not audible with my vertical antennas. Kevin - NI5O

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2012 23:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Receiving Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was on the verge of purchasing a Wellbrook but been putting it off. My friend dropped off the Pixel RF Pro-1B. I said oh well, and left it in the garage and was even contemplating putting it up. In trying to work the latest DXpeditions is Eastern Kiribati, Nauru, Pitcairn and Malpelo Islands, I couldn't hear any of them. I managed to make a contact with E. Kiribati with my exisitng antennas - SteppIR BigIR vertical and G5RV up about 20 ft but they were light compared to last year's E. Kiribati DXpedition. My Elecraft K3 adjusting DSP and filters couldn't pull them out. Frustrated with all the noise around my shack, I put up the Pixel up 20 ft and rotated the loop for the greatest signal towards the south-southeast and wow, I managed to work the rest of the DXpeditions, no problem. I highly recommend the Pixel if you got Plasma TV QRM like me, it's worth every penny. You won't be dissapointed with the Pixel.

AA7AS Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2012 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Consistently outperforms my 20 meter inverted vee and several random length longwire antennas; I get comparable signal levels, with a much lower noise floor.

I use it with my SDR-IQ, and as a receive-only antenna on my Yaesu FT-2000 (it's just pointless to use the inverted vee with the loop available... it *destroys* the vee on receive.) But I do use the vee to transmit.

I mounted it on a trailer and then moved it around until I found the best spot -- now I just park the trailer there.

Here's a pic of my RF-PRO installation:

I pull that trailer out into the country too, and enjoy a zero-QRM environment by running the SDR in my vehicle.

I can't say enough good things about this product. My experience with Pixel Tech has been good also -- they answer questions very readily, and were of considerable assistance to me. I had no technical issues, everything worked as advertised, but I did have questions and they were very patient with me.

I find that the SDR-IQ and the RF-PRO loop make an almost perfect SWL pair.

I did find that mounting the antenna near the house, or near metal, degraded its performance... just as the manufacturer said it would.

KL7OA Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2012 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent small antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Pixel Technologies RF Pro-1B Loop Antenna

I’ve been using an RF Pro-1B for about 3 months. It is mounted in the front yard about 40 feet from the house, in Anchorage, AK. It appears to be an excellent small receiving antenna, and I’m using it mainly with a QS1R receiver, which can take advantage of the broadband nature by showing the whole HF spectrum at once.

I discovered that the man-made broadband noise on some frequencies was greatly reduced by using common mode choke baluns at each end of the 100’ RG-6 quad shielded coax. Balun Designs made a Model 1110, dual core, 75 ohm version with F connectors. Also, I used an F connector female-female fixture at each end of the outside coax section to ground the shield. The loop/amplifier and voltage injection box use a type F connector. This seems like a good idea, since good quality RG-6 quad shielded coax has better shielding specifications than even LMR coax. Since the ground is frozen here, and I can’t easily bury the cable, I wanted the best shielding possible. There are a couple very strong AM broadcast stations near here.

I’ve been waiting to make more accurate measurements of the signal to noise ratio compared with other antennas until I got the man made broadband and spurious signal noise as low as reasonably possible on the loop. I did notice that the loop broadband noise pickup was lower on some bands than a 6.5’ vertical active antenna in the same location.

Even though I haven’t recorded careful measurements yet, it is fair to say that the RF Pro-1B can hear almost every signal on most bands heard by a 300’ horizontal loop about 30’ high. That goes for both NVIS and DX. Of course, completely different types of antennas receive signals differently, so direct comparisons are useful only up to a point.

Thank you.