Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna
Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna Reviews: 46 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $500
Description: • Unique Moebius Loop architecture provides enhanced performance over standard loops
• Very low IMD, 30 dB Low-Noise Preamp insures good performance in both strong and weak signal environments
• Up to 30 dB rejection of locally radiated noise compared to whip antennas
• Figure eight directivity and deep nulls to further reduce interference.
• Primary coverage range: 100 kHz to 30 MHz
• Rejects power line noise
• Rugged construction, easily mounts to a pole or flat vertical surface, 1m dia. aluminum loop, supplied with LNA, power inserter and DC power supply
• No manual tuning necessary
• No Home Owners Association problems; low profile, easy to camouflage and works at ground level
• Modular design for easy installation and maintenance
• Adjustable output level to optimize output for your radio
• Internal Transmit / Receive Switch disconnects Antenna / Preamp from your receiver when transmitting
• Made in the USA
More info: http://www.pixelsatradio.com/

You can write your own review of the Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna.

W3TIM Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2013 08:09 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ADDITION  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a bit different situation here:
I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, with no above ground power lines within ¾ of a mile.
Any local man made noise is generated by me. My location is very quite! I run 3 small homebrew
loop antennas. Two are single turn coax, tuned and unamplified for 160 and 80 meters. The other
Is multi turn, tuned and unamplified for MW. I also run a 630 foot dipole at 80 feet, a small
Beverage, and a wire vertical.
My concern was that the RF PRO- 1B would not be much of a addition to my antenna arsenal…
But I just could not resist Doug’s offer of money back if not happy, so I took a shot.
Here’s a picture of the installation:
After the install I drove myself nuts for 2 weeks, recording noise floors, peak S meter readings and
Signal to noise ratios and just listening for the best overall signal, putting Pixel against my other
antennas. I am not going to get into data or numbers, I will just pass along my findings.
85% of the time the Pixel was as good as or better (mostly better) than my coax loops on 160 and 80
meters …. It terms of noise floor, peak S meter , Signal to noise and selective fading.
Under good conditions the Big dipole, and vertical put BIG signals into the Flex 5000 and almost
always had a better signal to noise ratio, however toss in thunder storm within 500 miles and the
Pixel helps out quite a bit, still not arm chair copy … but better. The beverage still works better pretty
much all the time, BUT only when it is pointed in the right direction … and my rotator for the
beverage ( ME ) is very slow to act, so the beverage was not in the correct direction very often.
On LF and VLF the Pixel is almost always my best antenna, the 630 foot dipole picks up a big signal
but also crazy big noise. 40 meters for me seems to be the Pixel’s best band , signals just come out of
the noise with great S/N … it holds it’s own with any of my antennas on 40.
My point here is the RF PRO-1A is not just for folks with HOA or noise problems, it’s a GREAT
Addition to anybodys receive antenna arsenal!! This things performs ! Plus the fact that I
Don’t have to go out and tune it when I QSY anywhere up to 30 mhz …. It is a clear winner for me!
The XYL was also very happy when I took down the homebrew loops all over the back yard, but I
Haven’t told her what is coming! Hi Hi
FYI: I am not connected with Pixel in any way and have never spoke with Doug until I started
Nagging him about this antenna.
73, thanks for your time.
Tim
W3TIM

W6AWO Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2013 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the PRO-1B to go with my newly acquired QS1R software defined receiver (also excellent). The combination is outstanding. I had the QS1R connected to a long wire while awaiting the arrival of the PRO-1B. The difference between the two was like night and day.

While I mostly monitor HF that's mainly because the MW/LW noise level has always been so high. With the PRO-1B non-directionsl beacons (NDBs) and DGPS signals were standing tall across the spectrum, almost all of which I had never before heard. The best NDB DX: Puerto Rico (from Northern California)!

As others have said the build quality is excellent and the antenna performs as advertised across the whole LF/MF/HF spectrum and into low band VHF.

K7MM Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2013 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Miraculous!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Imagine the 80-Meter band with a 20 dB over S9 noise level....bad. OK, I bought this 1/2 acre and single-level home without checking an HF receiver first. So I was stuck with a lousy noise floor and no way to hear my Washington State Emergency Net net control stations. Then I discovered the buzz (sorry for the pun) about magnetic loop antennas. I just finished connecting the Pixel RF PRO-1B; it is simply miraculous! I can hear all the stations on the WSEN and on the WARTS traffic net. My noise level is now a manageable S3, and I can copy stations at S1. Most stations are at S7, with optimized 80-M stations peaking 20--40 dB over S9!

I mounted the loop on my garden shed, out of view of my HOA neighbors, about 200 feet from my shack and 100 feet from my transmitting OCF wire antenna. My Icom IC-7000 has no receive antenna input so I used an MFJ-1707 RF Sense T/R Antenna Switch to protect the loop preamp from my transmissions. I had two hiccups in my installation: the 200-foot RG-6 quad shield cable that I ordered with the loop antenna was really 150 feet, and the F-to-UHF male adapter did not fit the MFJ UHF female jack. I added more RG-6 with an F barrel, and I used a F-male to N-female adapter with a N male to UHF male coaxial cable to get my signal out of the power injector.

A great investment! I am delighted.

WA4D Rating: 4/5 Dec 21, 2012 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Photo of my Pixel Pro 1B  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not much to add that hasn't already been said.

My own headline on the Pixel RF Pro-1B

1) The antenna reduces the noise floor (as much as 20 db by my crude estimate) and I did "pull out" weak stations that were not copyable with a long wire and it's attendant electrical noise.

2) The Directionality of the antenna does attenuate spurious signals noticeably.

Quality-- as others have noted: Excellent.

Photo here of how I chose to configure my RF Pro 1B

mike/ wa4d.net

W4AFK Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2012 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent low-profile HF loop antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just a quick note to mention that the two products I bought from Pixel are still doing wonders.

For my home satellite XM system it was the PRO-600 and for amateur radio/SWL it was the RF PRO-1B.

I am constantly amazed at the performance of the RF PRO-1B compared to other antennas I use. It's been reliable and an excellent performer. You can see it on QRZ.com

Kudos ;-)

N6HBJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2012 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Perfomance is excellant on 40meters and below. Marginal on 20   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I currently operate all indoor antennas due to owning a condo and HOA restrictions. My HF antenna at the moment is an end fed unbalanced 100 foot wire strung across the ceiling of several rooms. (A buddipole is in the works). I have a very high noise level that averages 9 S-Units on the entire HF spectrum. The loop was set-up indoors as all my other antennas are.

The Pixel Loop averages a 1.5 to 2 S-Unit drop in my noise level and the signal to noise ratio improves fantastically, making signals that are barely copyable a total comfortable read. The results on 40 meters and below are incredible and well worth the price.

On 20 meters I did not notice a significant improvement in signal to noise ratio. Often times the loop was worse than the wire. I friend had the same results on 20 meters with his loop.

I cannot evealuate above 20 meters until I have a decent resonant antenna for those bands. But just using it as a receive only antenna on the higher bands did not yield a lot of strong signals and I continued to have a high level of nosie. This leads me think that performance on those bands is not the best. However, take into account that the loop is indoors and not in the best postion to begin with so users with externally mounted antennas may yield better results throughout the entire HF spectrum.

Even if performance at 20 meters and above is not improved, the drastic improvement on the lower bands, to me, makes the price worth it.

This is just my own personal experience so far after only a few days.

73 Mike N6HBJ

W2MV Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2012 12:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for Several Purposes  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had two (related) main reasons to acquire the Pixel RF PRO-1B antenna: 1. A steerable "noise" antenna for use with my ANC-4 noise canceller, and 2. The ability to do DF work with local RFI.

I've had the antenna up and running for more than a month now and don't regret my purchase. The antenna is mounted with a small TV-antenna type rotator on a mast attached to a house gable bracket. Within the past couple of days I used it to DF some local RFI on 20 meters, using the deep nulls broadside to the loop. The house emanating the RFI was verified (now to find the source, another topic.)
I have also used the loop as a noise antenna input to my ANC-4 with great success...much better than the various other noise antennas I've tried over the years.

Additionally, the loop appears helpful for DX work on the low bands. So far, I've only tried it on 40M against my full-size dipole. The received signal levels are generally lower compared to the dipole, but the background noise is significantly lower...making the S/N ratio better at times.
The antenna also seems to be a decent lower HF and MF/BCB antenna.

After the winter DX season on the lower bands, I'll have a better idea of it's worth against my full-sized dipoles.
The antenna is easy to set up and construction is solid. I also like the feature that shuts power to the wideband amp while transmitting.

AB4BJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2012 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent receive antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
RF Pro 1B

This antenna is a great performer. Although I have not used it very long, I am seeing excellent results. I use the 1B with my SteppIR Big IR Mark III (with 80 meter coil). The 1B has a much lower noise floor than the SteppIR. This allows me to pull out signals on all bands that are covered up by noise with the SteppIR.

I installed the antenna "in the trees" in my back yard. This required about 225 feet of RG6 QS coax, but the pre-amp works just fine with this long coax run. I also installed the antenna on a light duty rotor and this works well to use the 25-30 db nulls to tune out unwanted signals.

Here's a link to a photo of my installation:

I agree with the other positive comments recorded here on eham. I highly recommend this antenna to anyone who is looking for a great receive only option to compliment your transmit antenna(s).

Bill
AB4BJ

W8GTX Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2012 22:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had model 1B for a few days now in my noisy urban environment. Researched this thoroughly, talking (email) with folks who own one and spent many hours going through the various news groups. Really wanted to be sure before I laid down the money on this. The build quality is very good. Easy to mount and sturdy and American made. The 1B is more a mechanical improvement than electrical over the 1A. Compared with my 140' dipole, this outperforms it on many levels. The biggest being the low noise floor. Even when the received signal is weaker compared with the dipole, the noise floor is so low you could hear a flea burp. No regrets and it sure is nice to hear clean loud signals on 160m. Something my dipole could only dream of. I mounted it 10' ground mounted as far away from surrounding homes as possible.

NI5O Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2012 10:47 Send this review to a friend
Great little receiving antenna...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using the Pixel RF-1B antenna for over four months now. It is my primary receiving antenna for 30 to 160 Meters. Mine is mounted vertically with the base about 10 feet above ground level. As others have noted, this antenna pulls signals out of the noise due its low noise nature. It hears substantial better than my transmitting antennas and on average it seems to improve signals by 4 to 6 db. above the average noise level (though the absolute S meter readings are less). It also can be connected to your transceiver to power down the pre-amp and ground the antenna during transmitting. It is well worth the price, especially if you are situated on a smaller urban lot where large HF antennas are prohibited. I have heard many stations on 160, 80 and 40 meters that were not audible with my vertical antennas. Kevin - NI5O