Reviews Categories | Transverters | Elecraft K144XV internal transverter for K3 Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft K144XV internal transverter for K3
Elecraft K144XV internal transverter for K3 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $349.95 + shipping
Description: The K144XV option adds 144 to 148 MHz receive and 10-watt transmit capability to your K3 via a separate
antenna connector on the rear panel.
More info: http://www.elecraft.com

You can write your own review of the Elecraft K144XV internal transverter for K3.

N4OGW Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2017 11:28 Send this review to a friend
good, but some issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use mine for SSB/CW/digital modes on 2M- never tried in on FM. It integrates well with the K3 and seems to give a very sensitive receiver on 2M. A couple of issues are:

1. If you leave a 28 MHz antenna connected to the main antenna jack, 28 MHz signals will bleed into the transverter.

2. If you transmit in a high-cycle mode (WSJT modes) with 10W it will get very hot. Hot enough that the power will start to fall off, and in some cases what seemed to happen was that one of the synthesizers stopped and I lost receive as well. The problem is that the K3 rear fans do not turn on when on 144 Mhz. If you turn the fans on manually with the KPA3 setting the heat-related problems pretty much go away. It would be nice if the transverter was able to turn on the K3's fans as needed when it got hot.

K6USN Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2015 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Five...but  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I struggled with the 5.
It works fine. Easy to install. Easy to program once one has a sense of direction. Let me repeat that... the manual is an Easter Egg hunt.

The problem is a lack of information on programming repeaters, offsets, and PL's.
The legendary product support from Elecraft stumbled a bit - referring me to the KX3 or the K2 manuals.

The problem is that there is no complete how to instruction on set up. Should have been an addendum to the instruction manual that tells you how to install the unit.

Bottom line however is that it works fine and I am glad I added it to my K3.

W4KA Rating: 4/5 Jun 9, 2014 06:57 Send this review to a friend
FM distortion  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 2 meter installed and I have distortion on FM, seems to get a little better as it warms up. I haven't worked ssb or cw yet. Other than the distortion, it is OK.

N6AF Rating: 2/5 Jun 8, 2014 23:06 Send this review to a friend
FM distortion  Time owned: more than 12 months
The receive audio is distorted on all FM signals in the 2 meter lower half band. Receive in the upper half band is fine. Transmit audio quality is also reported as very good in both the lower and upper half bands so this is something unique to the lower half band receive. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what did you find out?

G4URT Rating: 4/5 Jul 29, 2013 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Signal handling issues  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When I bought my K3 it was with the internal transverter in mind. The ability to have a decent 2m rig with excellent filtering etc for 2m EME / MS was always going to be my objective and there doesn't seem to be a decent dedicated 2m rig around nowadays. The transverter was easy to install and seems to have a nice low noise figure which is one thing I really needed for weak signal work (the rig is purely used for 2m). So far so good. However, I thought that I would also use it from a local hilltop during a 2m contest instead of the usual clubs IC271 with Mutek front end. Also present was a 30 year old IC202s with a Mutek front end. The comparison between the elderly Muteked rigs and the K3 when it came to strong signal handling was somewhat of an eye opener. You've guessed it. The 30 yr old technology was far superior than the modern. In fact, it was almost embarrassing bearing in mind the price differentials between the systems. The IC202s had only cost the owner 50 (abt $75). We all know how much the K3 combo costs. So, to summarise - if you don't need to battle strong signals then the internal transverter is excellent, if you do then get a decent external one.

N2ZDB Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2012 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent addition to my K3!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Surprised to see only 1 review of the K144XV 2-Meter Internal Module for the K3!

Works great and easy to install. I would recommend the K144XV Reference Lock Board Option for rock solid stability...

Michael
n2zdb

W1ZI Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2010 11:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent add-in device for K3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Device is a factory pre-assembled sub-chassis for the K3. It fits easily inside the K3 with minimal fuss, and the cables provided also fit well. Device is fully integrated into the K3 firmware Ver. 4.22 and operates without difficulty. The only comment I would make is that the manual received (Rev. C March 2010) is badly in need of updating, though common sense leads one past its mis-statements without problem. As provided, my particular unit has an output of 9+ watts.