Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Pro Antennas Dual Beam Pro Help

Reviews Summary for Pro Antennas Dual Beam Pro
Pro Antennas Dual Beam Pro Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $330
Description: The Dual Beam Pro is ultra light weight with a slim and attractive profile, measuring just 5m overall. The bi- directional charcteristics require only 180 degrees of rotation to cover the globe. The use of domestic TV aerial chimney stack brackets or gable wall fixings are proving to be perfectly adequate to install the lightweight Dual Beam Pro.....3.5kg. This antenna can be erected so that it is fixed beaming to your favourite directions, alternatively a light duty antenna rotator can be installed. The Dual beam Pro band coverage: 40m*, 30m*, 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m, 11m and 10m. This antenna presents a very user friendly broad band match, however some transceivers will require an internal or external ATU to provide full power output. (*The coverage of 40m & 30m is possible with an external ATU).
More info: http://www.proantennas.co.uk

You can write your own review of the Pro Antennas Dual Beam Pro.

G8FSO Rating: 4/5 Feb 21, 2013 09:44 Send this review to a friend
So far so good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought one of these second hand for £100, and have to say the build quality of them is actually very good. However, when it was erected, I wasn't sure if the balun was working properly, so I contacted the manufacturer, and he wanted nearly £50 to return it, test it, and then mail it back. That's nearly half the cost of what I paid for it. I notice that the design of the balun has now changed, and they are square and not round. Don't know if that is of significance.

So after eventually persevering, I then replaced my old feeder with 22m of brand new Mini 8, (Minimum 20m recommended according to the manufacturer.) and contacts so far have been been on a par with my Cobwebb, however having some sort of directionality is better. The fact that it beams off both sides is interesting, meaning you don't need a full 360 rotation.

But......

I am having to rely on my MFJ993B to do the job with my TS480HX. And on my other radio an FT897D with AT897 tuner, the tuner can't pull it down satisfactorily, even with the 22m of new feeder.

So after following the instructions laid down, it seems to be performing as it should....so far.

The plus point is, you don't need a big rotator to turn it. I use a small one that is more than capable, and while not lightning speed, it works for me.

I may well re-review when I use it in anger.

G4DKM Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2013 03:18 Send this review to a friend
Extremely Happy, Great Antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My initial results are impressive, it's certainly providing a worth while leap in performance over my fixed wire dipoles. I called in to Pro Antennas to pick up a Dual Beam Pro antenna system. Carl the owner was most helpful and took the time to show me some of the product's design features. I was impressed to see materials had been carefully selected and they should provide good long term dielectric properties. The use of solid GRP rod for the centre insulator, the matching transformer is built with low loss components, PTFE coil former wound with Teflon (PTFE) covered wire. I have an RF engineering back ground and it's easy to see that this product has been carefully thought out, it should stand the test of time with its high quality components. Being light weight it's so easy to handle/rotate and simplicity itself to put together, with no fussy adjustments required. This product has certainly put the fun back into the hobby and I highly recommend it!

G4DKM

M0SRW Rating: 2/5 Jan 5, 2013 08:49 Send this review to a friend
£240 for £20 worth of parts  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Not worth your money its build is very poor the balun fills with water had take mine apart to empty it out and what was inside was shocking 6inch of 15mm plastic water pipe with 2 bits of 16awg wire wraped around it to form the balun. But what surprised me was it not haveing a drain hole at the bottom of the balun to let moisture out if this antenna was priced at less then £100 then yes it may be worth spending your cash on. keep you money and save for something better

G3ZCH Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2012 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the antenna in December 2010 and due to working away from home erected it recently. Before erecting the antenna I ran it 2 metres off the ground on QRP 5 watts. I was very stunned at receiving 5 7 reports from the East coast of the US.

It is now mounted 25 feet above ground on the house. My reports are very pleasing. First day of use I had qso's into Japan, Canad and mid USA.

I am more than pleased with the results.

G3ZCH

M6CCP Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2012 11:51 Send this review to a friend
FIRST USE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I CALLED CARL TO GET SOME HELP WITH MY ANTENNA SELECTION AFTER HAVING SO MUCH CONFLICTING ADVICE I HAD TRIED A COMET TRAPPED DIPOLE BUT IT DID NOT WORK FOR ME AS MY SPACE IS VERY SMALL AND MY QTH IS IN A DIP SURROUNDED BY HOUSES. I WAS ABOUT TO GIVE UP ON THE HOBBY BUT AFTER TALKING TO CARL HE ASSURED ME THE DUAL BEAM PRO WOULD SOLVE MY PROBLEMS, SO I PURCHASED ONE. IT ARRIVED THE NEXT DAY VERY WELL PACKAGED.

MY WIFE ASSEMBLED THE ANTENNA FOR ME AS I AM DISABLED AND PUT IT UP ON AN ACROW AROUND 30 FEET, I MADE MY FIRST CALL TO A STATION IN
IRELAND AND THEY CAME STRAIGHT BACK TO ME WITH A REPORT OF S9+20dB I COULD NOT BELIVE IT, AS BEFORE I COULD NOT GET OUT ANYWHERE, ANOTHER STATION CAME IN CALLING ME FROM LEON AGAIN S9+20dB AND I CAN ONLY RUN 10 WATTS, I THEN HAD TO GET A CUPPA TO CALM DOWN AS I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT, MY RADIO HOBBY IS FINALLY A GO SITUATION.
3RD NOVEMBER CONTACTS TO ROMANIA 5/9+ SPAIN /5/9+
TO EA7IZJ

I WOULD URGE ANYONE TO BUY A DUAL BEAM PRO IT REALLY WORKS

M3YWH Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2012 03:52 Send this review to a friend
Stunning!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a Dual Beam Pro from Carl (Pro Antennas) and started running it on 30th May 2012.

The reason for my purchase was that I had virtually exhausted my current antenna systems as regards places I could contact. My antenna system did comprise of 80M to 10M Dipole (SRX80-Snowdonia Antennas, now out of business I think) the base of this antenna had to go back as soon as I put it up! But was returned with no improvement! My other antenna for HF is an inverted G5RV which I cannot fault as the centre is 22ft high and the ends end up at 45deg apart but only 5ft from the ground.

I run a program called DX Atlas and decided to ‘snap-shot’ the map up to using the Dual Beam Pro (see Gallery at Dual Beam Pro). I then started a new map just using the Dual Beam Pro for one month only (see Gallery at Dual Beam Pro), the results for me were and are outstanding. Remember I am an M3 and restricted to 10W output power. I use a FT-767GX with the standard mike the power is set to 10W but on certain bands peaks at 12W, but hey, these results are stunning I even get through ‘pile-ups’.

Great job Carl and I am always telling contacts that the reason I’m talking to them is because of my new pride and joy, my ‘Dual Beam Pro’. A comment from VK7ZX Laurie in Tasmania is worth mentioning ‘I think I will chop all mine down and get one of those’! He has an amazing antenna farm yet I gave him a 59 and he gave me a 56! Enough said.

Well done on creating such an effective and affordable antenna.

Ken Skerry
M3YWH

M0AZE Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2012 02:21 Send this review to a friend
Surprise, surprise - it's good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The great British weather had prevented me from erecting this antenna for about a month now and because I wanted to service my small tilt over mast I needed an afternoon to complete everything I wanted to.

First impressions; 5 meter of antenna looks a little bigger on the ground than it does 30 feet in the air. But undeterred I took down a 2/70 Cushcraft Yagi, weather station and generally tidied as much as I could on my skyline. The antenna was destined to sit just above the ridge of my roof so in effect only half of the beam protrudes at the back of my home. Less metal is obvious from what was up before and my 2/70/6 collinear sits just above it - so it looks pretty neat.

Construction is easy, I did apply anti-sieze grease to all bolts etc and the quality of components probably dictate this is not necessary. The beam is light in weight - for those without a rotator let that not put you off! I did refer back to the manufacturers web site as quality of pictures in related Practical Wireless and RadCom articles helped me get my head around getting this put together right - it's all proved very straightforward and easy. It will also prove to be one of those antennas you can erect and forget - I don't see weather conditions bothering this!

On air performance;

On 40 it does tune up and is generally 2/3 'S' points down on my W2DYM trapped dipole, but Carl does state it's limited performance on 40 meters. On 20 it seems reasonably comparable to my dipole but it does seem to capture the signal better as though theres more coming in!

On frequencies above 20 meters - 17, 15, 10 and 6 it is just so much better. I hoped for this to be the case but was surprised at how much better it really is. For me it's like turning on a pre-amp. I'm picking out beacons that I can't hear on the dipole. Lots of 6 meter contacts already and that's in less than a week on the air.

Summary:

Surprise, surprise - it really works. Thanks Carl for this gem.

This antenna is great for those of us with small back yards/gardens - the whole thing it is relatively unobtrusive 30 feet up. Be great /p.

Those hesitating, go get one and have some fun while band conditions permit.

73's

Mike

M6JBM Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2012 12:16 Send this review to a friend
18 months in still going stong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi all 2E0CGT i was doing a 60hr qso on 20m using the 2Q0CGT callsign for the queens 60th year as head of state and what can i say but wow orsom great antenna look at my qrz.com page and see how many page reviews i have had over 2400 and 600 qso's from all over the world.
Nice antenna i have got 30 states in that time nearly 60 countries can not go on much more on how this antenna works if you do not buy one yer ether crazy in the head or you got a farm and you have a force 12 in the paddock(hi hi).
If you have a small garden and a 18ft scaff pole strap it to the chimney stack put a light rotator on it and wayhay yer off!!!
IN OTHER WORDS YOU WILL NOT FIND A BETTER ANTENNA FOR THE MONEY AND I USE MINE EVERYDAY!
Please see the antenna on my qrz.com page 2E0CGT there you will see its not mega high and thats that.

M6AZA Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2012 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Still impressed!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have now had this antenna for nearly a year and thought that I would do a follow up review.

I have this antenna mounted at 30ft and fed with 25m of RG mini 8 coax. It tunes easily using the internal tuner with my Yaesu FT450D and it also tunes on 6M although the antenna is not designed for this band.

I live in an exposed location near Dartmoor national park and wind damage was originally a concern prior to buying this antenna. However I can confirm that the antenna is of excellent quality and has sailed through a lot of high winds this last winter. In fact I am generally more concerned about the mast that the DBP is attached to!!

I have received lots of good signal reports using my allocated 50watts, but most notably the other week with VK2IZI who gave me a report of 58 no less.

For the money, I think it is near impossible to beat this antenna.

Andy
2E0KMP

G6VMR Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2012 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Buy  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought mine at Christmas 2011. Worked OK but I was not 100% convinced. Having spoke to Karl (the maker) he gives great after sales service. We came to the conclusion I have a coax issue. Coax swapped last week. Wow what a difference. I have been working all over and breaking some pile ups 1st shout. I run 100w and the recieve noise on this antenna is impressively low. Look at my QRZ log book page since 29/3/2012 W3DIY. Some great DX in the log. This antenna is also very loght and does not upset the neighbours. Martin