Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | The Rotor Doctor Help

Reviews Summary for The Rotor Doctor
The Rotor Doctor Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $varies
Description: Rotor service, reconditioning, parts, sales

You can write your own review of the The Rotor Doctor.

K2YWE Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2013 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Never Been Disappointed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have bought parts from C.A.T.S. (formerly Rotor Doctor) several occasions and they have always been correct, fairly priced, and shipped quickly at a reasonable cost. I have found Craig to be responsive to inquiries and happy to provide telephone advice. My experience with "the other" well know rotor rebuilder has not been as good.

K5ACO Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2013 12:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just opened a Ham-II rebuilt by Carl 8 yrs ago to check the lubrication. It still looked new inside! Several components had obvoiusly been replaced with new.
Quick delivery of parts at good prices and no gouging on shipping costs.
His cable plug system works very well and stands up to the weather.
Barring extreme weather I will never need another rotor.

N8ECH Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2012 18:19 Send this review to a friend
Great service and reasonable pricing.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used Craig's service twice now. Both times the turn around time and pricing were good.

As of the fall of 2011, the basic labor charge is $100 plus parts for rotor repair.
Shipping runs about $15 to from S/W Ohio to Pemberville.

The units do come back looking like new, and I highly recommend the 9 pin twist lock connector upgrade if the rotor will be used in a tower application. The cable end of the connector is a bit of a chore to install, but once done a rotor swap out is much easier.

Craig does warn that Fall and May when the Dayton Hamfest occurs are two times when turn around time can suffer due to increased business as well as parts shortages.

In my two instances, the total bill for the rebuild was around $200 including shipping both ways.

KD4W Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2011 11:08 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: months
Sent my Ham 4 rotator to Craig. It was blowing the 1/8 amp fuse in the control unit and I knew it needed the pot that controls the direction. He fixed the unit, sent it back to me before he was even paid, and the cost was a lot less than I expected.

This is service that is above and beyond. I can't praise him enough.

WB6MMV Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2011 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent my Ham IV in for a complete overhaul. While it was working, the indicator pot was erratic periodically. Craig reworked the rotor, replaced the pot and returned the rotor looking like new with a nice grey coat of paint. I installed the rotor and noted that it now indicates smoothly. I was delighted with the service.

WB1CQW Rating: 3/5 Sep 8, 2010 06:17 Send this review to a friend
mixed review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a HAM lV in the tower for 18 years which I sent to the Rotor Doctor for a rebuild. When I sent it to him it was turning, but not smoothly. When I got it back it did not work at all. I believe he would have ultimately fixed the problem, but instead of paying for costly shipping and a long wait, I needed to take down the staging beside the tower and couldn't wait any longer, so I purchased a brand new HAM lV(from Norm's Rotor Service). For the little bit saved by rebuilding a rotor, in the future I'd always trade in the old and buy new-- too much of a hassle to get up the tower to swap rotors that fail. I realize as a practical matter it's very hard to know exactly how many parts that should be replaced in a rotor rebuild. In my particular case, I noticed there was nothing on the the Rotor Doctor's invoice for a replacement potentiometer, which I suspect was the real problem, that the contacts of the old one were simply cleaned up. Nor will I ever know whether my problem was an intermittent problem in the rotor after he rebuilt it that acted OK before shipment to me. FYI I've had similar problems twice with completely rebuilt motors in automobiles: in both cases they ran far better as OEM motors.

KE6PID Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2009 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Good as new - maybe better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have several rotors repaired by Rotor Doctor, every time they were repaired quickly and for reasonable cost.

I haven't needed his service for a while because what he repairs works.

N8BHL Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2009 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellente work, great price.  Time owned: more than 12 months
My rotor control box burned a transformer the day before a weekend contest. I drove the unit to his shop, and he repaired it while I waited- even worked past closing to get it done. He had the parts stock on hand to do the work. Nice visit and good work!

K5FTE Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2007 19:43 Send this review to a friend
27 Year Old Ham IV Like New  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent in a real basket case Ham IV. In about 3 weeks, it was back and it looked brand new. It works perfect and he replaced the old 8 lug strip with the twist-lock plug. He also sent back the old parts he replaced. How lucky we are to have such a fine service available. A1 customer service at a fair price. I highly recommend him to everyone needing to get those classic old rotors going again.
Earl, K5FTE

NM6E Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2006 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service & Dependability  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the Rotor Doc, rebuild an old CDE T2X, that I had purchased in 1988, used. It was rebuilt, upgraded the connectors etc, in 2003.

It's now been almost 4 years, and ther rotor works like a champ turning 'heavy antennas' M2 KT-36XA and an M2-40 meter rotatable dipole.

I would continue to use the Rotor Doc without hesitation if I have any rotors that need servicing.

Javier NM6E