Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Radio Shack PRO-50MX Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack PRO-50MX
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $40
Description: Headphone with boom microphone
More info: http://www.radioshack.com/

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack PRO-50MX.

KL7AC Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2001 01:35 Send this review to a friend
Tuff!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I once had a Heil Pro set but it quickly fell apart. Once one of the earphones broke it was impossible to put back together.

As I did not want to lose my initial investment I purchased the Pro from RS. The stock mike garnered my fair share of bad audio reports so I dropped in the Heil cartridge. It is a tight fit but works great and has so for the last 5 years.

I am very tough on headphones and the RS PRO has held up wonderfully. I like thier durability and wonderful sound on RX.

WM5R Rating: 3/5 Jun 29, 2000 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Adequate boom-mic headphset  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Radio Shack PRO-50MX is a boom-mic headset that Radio Shack sold throughout much of the 1990's. On sale,
it could be had for $40. The microphone components were apparently made by Koss, and the rest of the headset may have also been Koss equipment sold under the Radio Shack label. The cords terminates in an 1/8" stereo jack for the headphones and an 1/8" mono jack for the microphone.

This is an adequate headset for most purposes. The headphones do not compare with high-end models, and the microphone is not as nice as a Heil HC-4 or HC-5, but the quality is about what you would expect for $40. I've never had mine fail or develop any problems in the three years I've owned it, even though I've been pretty rough on it physically.

I know others who have bought one, and there are a few common gripes about these headsets. One is that they
pinch the head too much. I found that by carefully bending them wider, I could deform the headsets to a shape that sits relatively comfortably (if a bit loosely) on my head. The other major complaint is that the cord comes down in a Y from both ears, rather than as a single cord. This has never bothered me, personally.

One of the best things about these headsets was that you could go buy one at your local store on a Friday afternoon and use them in a contest that same night.

If your budget for a headset mic goes beyond $40, there are better alternatives out there, but for $40 this isn't a bad deal.