Reviews Categories | Transverters | Downeast Microwave DEM 222-28CK Help

Reviews Summary for Downeast Microwave DEM 222-28CK
Downeast Microwave DEM 222-28CK Reviews: 9 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $295.00
Description: A 222 MHz All-mode Transverter for a 28 MHz IF Radio.
More info: http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/

You can write your own review of the Downeast Microwave DEM 222-28CK.

AA4ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2010 03:59 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over the years I've changed many parts of my VHF contest station but the DEMI 222 transverter has been a fixture. It hears great. We often move DX stations down to 144 that we first hear on 222. This transverter is flexible and we have been easily able to use it with several different IF radios. My xvtr is DEMI built (not from a kit).

N6FD Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2008 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Good kit transverter  Time owned: more than 12 months
The DEM 222-28CK has been a strong performer for me for almost 10 years. The kit was straightforward to put together and align. It does help to have access to some basic test equipment such as signal generator to finish the set up. As such it shouldn't be your first kit. The front end is good, I can hear more stations that I can work QRP Portable. No problems with intermod at mountaintop sites. The TX part of the transmitter work well, and have take RF overloads several times without problems. A good solid kit to add 222 to your VHF/UHF station.

WA2DTW Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2007 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent transverter and kit  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first kit after many years off inactivity. It was my introduction to surface mounting and my re-introduction to toroid-winding. The kit took the mystery out of both of these. The manual and Steve were both very helpful.
The transverter works great, and is a good way to get onto 222. The only thing to watch out for, is that 222-225 translates to 28-31 mHz. This means that if your IF rig will not go beyond 30 mHz, you will lose the top 1 mHz of the band, where many of the repeaters are.

N8ERM Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2006 11:39 Send this review to a friend
Downeast Microwave DEM 222-28CK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Another one of the DEMI great products. It is a FANTASTIC TX/RX unit. Steve you build a great product.

W7MY Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2006 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased mine used on Ebay. The owner said it worked the last time he used it. I contacted DEMI to get the high input power mod so I could use my HF rig directly with 5w. In the process of installing it, I dropped it on the floor; it was dead! I called and sent it in for repair after giving up on repairing it. DEMI said they had a 4-5 week backlog and sure enough, 5 weeks later it was back. Apparently the builder had left long leads on the board that shorted out to the case when I dropped it! They aligned it and charged what I thought to be a very reasonable price for repair.

Once installed (without dropping), it works flawless. I see 30w out which is great! The RX portion is hot, can really copy the weak one's. I don't think there is a better was to get on 222 right now. The DEMI folks are great; honest, friendly, and reasonable.

N8ERM Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2006 10:53 Send this review to a friend
DEM 222 Transverter  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a wonderfull piece of gear. The folks at DEMI are great to deal with. These units are quality built.

N4HY Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2003 15:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great kit and reasonably easy to build. The instructions are terse and the parts placement diagram takes a bit of getting used to but the kitting is beautiful and with patience, it goes together easily. I ran into no problems. The very best part of the kit is no machining, drilling, punching, tapping is required. Solder, wire, and tune up.

N9DG Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2002 23:01 Send this review to a friend
Excelent Way To Get On 222  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built my transverter over two years ago; it has worked great since then. I have been very pleased with its performance and it is clearly a very low noise design with great sensitivity.

If you are planning on building the kit version keep in mind that the instructions are not detailed to the same level as Elecraft or Heathkit of years ago. They do not give you step by step instructions for each of the individual components. They do however make general recommendations about what category of components should be installed in what order. You will also need to refer to the pictorial diagram for parts placement. If these limitations are intimidating to you then the factory built version of it maybe a better way to go. On the other hand if you proceed methodically you will not have much trouble building it. The install instructions include tables of expected voltages at key points of the circuit for testing, these tables also include information on where to look for the problem if the expected voltage is not present, this greatly aids trouble shooting should the need arise.

If you want to get on the 222 MHz band it's hard to go wrong with one of these units. All of the DEM family of transverters have a great performance/price ratio even though they may not always be the least expensive way to get on a band. But in the case of 222MHz it is one of the few ways to get on the band with CW/SSB without home brewing from scratch.

WM5R Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2000 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent choice for 222 MHz  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the premier transverter presently on the market for the 222 MHz band. Downeast Microwave has an excellent reputation for producing top-quality gear for the VHF/UHF enthusiast. It can be made to interface with almost any HF radio that covers the 10M band. The transverter wants 100-200mW of 28 MHz input and puts out 20W -25W on 222 MHz transmit (adjustable.)

If you choose to build the transverter from a kit, the instructions are only adequate, but the parts lists, the schematics, and the board placement diagrams are flawless. This might not be the best choice for a first-time kit builder, but if you've built kits before, this is a fine project. There are some surface-mount parts, and the manual devotes nearly two full pages to hints and tips on how to best install them. If this concerns you, you can purchase the transverter fully assembled and tested.

The DEM web site is among the best from Amateur Radio equipment providers. The one flaw I find with DEM is that they do not have an email address. I think having such a great web site without accepting email is kind of like having a great ad in the yellow pages without putting a phone number on it. I could never seem to get these people on the phone.

Nevertheless, DEM transverters are fantastic and absolutely worth the customer support hassle. I highly recommend this transverter for anyone interested in 222 MHz.