Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-718 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-718
ICOM IC-718 Reviews: 404 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $750 1199 Cdn
Description: HF Transciever
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-718.

KD5NDU Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2014 09:57 Send this review to a friend
very good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got two ICOM 718 radios I use one noble and on digital modes. One in the house I had for 6 years now and works good still. I run it 24/7 on RMS program. It been good little radio so far.

KB2SEO Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2014 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Owned for 6 years, my experience...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a few HF rigs, from the tempo-one , the FT 101ZD,TS-440s, My Beloved icom 725 and 737a. So I got around some of the best and worst (read my FT-100 experience) I wanted to be sure to give a warts and all accounting of the Icom 718. IT BARELY makes all 5's. the pluses are:
* PRICE- c'mon gang, My wife got this radio with the DSP for 550 at HRO. We went to the ATL HRO to window shop. she saw the 718, and when I was walking to the car, she was buying it (I guess spending over 20 minutes on CW can help?)
* Versatile- I run PSK, CW, SSB on her. It has taken some real beatings on key downs and not missed a beat. Currently I am using it for NCS work on the 28.390 North GA Laryngitis net. It has done pretty well!
*SIMPLE-I agree with a few others, switching from Straight Key to Paddles is a bit of a pain in the Seat interface, but the rest of the menu stuff is not a big deal.
**AUDIO OUTPUT**- the rig has very good Audio output. I have used everything from the stock hand mic to a turner super side kick mic. the Only Mic I had any critique that was negative was the TUG-8/D104 was too brassy and loud, no matter the settings. I needed a setup where I can continue to wrap fishing poles (my sideline business)and run the net. I finally settled on a 9 dollar computer head set which I added a foot pedal or the VOX, it sounds like bob Heil set it up!

NEGATIVES-
* NOISY RX*-I have NOT had any issues with Static discharges hurting the radio. BUT I do notice that she can pick up a lot more static and beecuase of the DSP, its harsh to listen to. a minor adjustment to the IF shift makes it a lot more tolerable. I would love to hear from Hams who were able to clear it up.
*ERGONOMICS*- I believe that the Contol knobs could have stood to be a tad bigger for us guys who have Kielbasa for fingers. the tuning knob is fine.
*ANL/NB* Its a Menu driven affair, it could be "tighter"
**RECEIVER**- IF you are as unfortunate as me to have a CB'er running illegal and dirty rig, EXPECT TO HAVE YOUR RIG SPLATTERED. He's about a 1/2 mile from me, His wife has a shrill voice which bleeds between the local 2 meter repeater and WWV. my Poor 718 gets blasted, My ears are burnt.

But overall, for what it is, and the warts and all, I was impressed when Conditions are "normal" (the CB'er is sleeping off the Jack Daniels and Old spice, and the static isn't overly bad)- I can hear stations that my 725 does not. Its been great for the Net duties and its compact without needing tweezers to get to an adjustment.
Overall, I have had good experiences dealing with tech and customer support, the radio looks nice, it works well and compared to the FT100, and the awful customer care I had with Yaesu, its hands down a winner!

KF5GOI Rating: 2/5 Jun 20, 2014 09:17 Send this review to a friend
Prcblem needs addressing  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was just like the majority of the folks on the reviews. I had not written a review yet, so I figured I should.
You will only find a few people who have taken the time to address this in different areas of the internet. You have to go fishing for it.
This has to to with what appears to be static electricity. I got agreement from one of the Icom techs on the phone. I told the tech. I actually thought it was possible that I shorted out the resistor on one of the 718's from static build up building up in my body as I carried it accross the room.
I thought he would disagree. He told me it was a possibility. Since this was the new one that had not even been tried.
I simply removed the radio that was my daily gear and installed the new IC-718. Problems immediately (yes I had shorted before connecting)
Took it apart and the same 270 ohm resistor was bad as other.#271 on main Board.
Got to go. Emer.

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2014 11:55 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one new in 2003 and posted a 5 review here on eham.. 11 yrs later I decided I would invest in a new one for the shop/garage..i replaced a ts480 I had in here for 6 yrs. it was a good radio too,although I didn't really like the body/head configuration.. the 718 has been around for 11-12 yrs I believe,but it truly is a workhorse. doesn't have any major issues as crapping out like some other model of hf txers..it gets excellent audio reprts,hears well,and is reasonably priced..i recommend the 718 for a conscious minded buyer

NP4DD Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2014 20:33 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The IC-718 was a workhorse. You cannot beat this rig with the price, performance & the name Icom. Very good compliments from my audio & excellent receiver. Im very Satisfied so I would recommend the Icom 718 to anyone , its really easy to work & operate without even getting the manual. My 718 is my primary base station. There is an AGC mod that can be found online, addition of an Inrad #124 2800Hz filter. Good things do come in small packages!!!

ICOM 718, GREAT VALUE AND PERFORMANCE, ICOM QUALITY.

K4TXI Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2014 19:07 Send this review to a friend
Very Satisfied 10+  Time owned: more than 12 months
You cannot beat this rig as far its performance , With the price & the name Icom I knew it had to be good . I have had a couple of these 718's in the past and always very good compliments on signal & my audio right out of the box and easy to use ! It may not be a $5,000 dollar rig, but it satisfies me & is in my eyes and experience .
Again Im very Satisfied with all Icom products so I would recommend the 718 to anyone , its really easy to work & operate without even getting the manual out . My 718 is my primary base station & anyone I hear I can work them running 100 watts of Icom punch power ! You cannot go wrong on having 1 of these radios and they will hang right up there with the bigdogs so to speak . Very Well Done Icom !

KF6TIL Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2014 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't be happier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I needed to find a HF rig to install on my sailboat (on a budget) it came down to either the Alinco SR-DX8 or Icom IC-718. Although the Alinco has a remote-able face, which would have made installation easier, once I looked at both, side by side, in person my decision was easy, get the 718! Paid just under $600 including shipping at GigaParts (great experience there). During the first 24 hours after installing the rig (56' vertical wire antenna, MFJ-925 auto-tuner) I had no problem working every station that had a decent signal on 80, 40, 20 and 10 meters. Signal reports from contacts have all been good to excellent. Considering the price I paid, I couldn't be happier.

K4DV Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2014 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Read a lot of reviews and talked to several people about this rig before I purchased new. You cant beat this rig for the money. Have had nothing but excellent audio reports on stock microphone. Loud front speaker, good audio. The DSP works fine enough for me.

K1FBI Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2014 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't begin to express how happy I am with this radio. The PBT actually works and works great. The RF gain quiets up the reception. ANF takes out multiple signals and the adjustable noise blanker is decent. DSP although not the most modern is still useful under certain conditions and actually has made the difference between copy and no copy. I use this with an SM-8 mic and the LDG IT-100 tuner. Most everything you need is there and easy to use/access. Ever open up a larger rig and notice how much "empty real estate" is under the cover? This reminds me of a Bose stereo; good things do come in small packages!

KF5GOI Rating: 2/5 Jan 11, 2014 01:10 Send this review to a friend
need a recall  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have two IC-718 that the resistors #271 had split in half supposedly from static. used them both on the same setup as all my gear, even my new FT-950.
Boy was I surprised to find out all this new gear is nothing but a large % of SMD's.
I will be focusing on getting all my mods and upgrades to my tube gear.
If they have had a recall. I would like to know. If not, they sure need one.
This is not from my lack of experience. I don't like tooting my own horn. But always someone lurking with a smart remark. Sorry to say.
Thanks for your site.