Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-718 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-718
ICOM IC-718 Reviews: 417 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $750 1199 Cdn
Description: HF Transciever
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-718.

KG4LLQ Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2016 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Simple Xceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I continue to use my 718. It's now 13 years old and still in excellent condition. I've had it re-aligned once. I see many non-USA hams haven't rated it as high as USA hams. I don't know why but the 718 is a great performer. I operate CW, PSK-31, RTTY and some SSB (nets only). I only hope Icom doesn't discontinue the jewel.

KG4ERE Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2016 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't be happier  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the first hf radio I have ever purchased. It has not let me down! I have talked around the world with this radio and a simple wire antenna. It is simple to use and a great bargain for the money.

WA7IIR Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2016 09:14 Send this review to a friend
Good basic radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought a new 718 3 years ago and sold it to buy something else. Recently bought a second one in an estate sale. The 718 is easy to use and has good receive audio and power out. The 718 makes a good second radio for me, it does not do FM or 6 meters but I have another rig that does. Compared to the rigs of the 60s and 70s the 718 is a lot of radio for the money.

WN3R Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2016 07:24 Send this review to a friend
Old workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
At $600 new after factory coupon, this radio is certainly a bargain. Just make sure it has the new 2 pin power connector (the old one is 4 pin). The serial number starts with 42.

Not the best, but certainly a great value. Perhaps the best value at this new price point. This model was first produced in 2000 or earlier. The QST review was in 2000.

The new low price reflects history.

M0GNA Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2016 05:26 Send this review to a friend
Old faithful.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Second time around for me with 718.Had one a few years back and should never have got rid of it.It looks like a radio should look and performs like a radio should perform.If your not into bells and whistles and unfathomable endless menus and Technicolor screens etc then this is for you.It costs nothing compared to most other rigs out there and does the same job.The fact that Icom are still producing them speaks volumes for its popularity.Its also a great general coverage receiver.I'm keeping this one I love it.

K7DXT Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2015 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio. But it's a Matter of Perspective!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The venerable Icom 718Öitís all a matter of perspective. This is now my third IC-718 that Iíve owned. Donít ask me why I got rid of the first two, but I reckon itís a matter of just the enjoyment of trading around and trying something new.

So why do I keep coming back to this radio? Maybe the more pertinent question is why I keep getting rid of the ones Iíve had. There have been several radios Iíve owned twice, including the Kenwood TS-520 and the Yaesu FT-840. I love both of those radios, and as a matter of fact, own both now along with the 718.

SureÖI could sell all three and buy a Ďrealí radio I suppose. But I enjoy the simplicity of the 718. Iím an old fud and I donít like menus, but this radio doesnít intimidate me at all. Itís easy to set up, easy to program, easy to operate. But itís nothing specialÖjust a radio. It doesnít open a can of beer, and it canít really bust any pileups better than any other 100 watt radio.

How many times have I heard a report back that says, ďThat 718 is doing a good job for youĒ. I have no doubts. Actually, pretty much any radio that isnít broken is going to do a good job for me. Iím sure the transmit audio is good enough, and the receive audio isnít bad. No, itís not an FT-1000.

So why do I, and hundreds others give it a Ď5í? Maybe we like the Ďunderdogí nature of this little radio. Itís small, doesnít make any outlandish claims, and does the job. Itís handsome in appearance, and doesnít take up much space. Iíve always like a Ďfront firingí speaker on a rig.

But there are better radios out there. I think my TS-520 has better receive audio. I thought the Kenwood TS-570 I owned many years ago was much better overall in most, if not all areas.

So why a Ď5í for the 718? Itís all a matter of perspective, as they say. And the key factors of perspective are two thingsÖreliability and dollars. Performance is okay. Actually, I think the review from G4RNI is extremely well-written, and he makes some excellent points to pull better performance out of this rig.

No one can really challenge the 718ís reliability, so letís talk about money. When people compare this rig to other $500 or $600 used rigs, it will generally fall short. But I donít see this as a $500 rig on the used market. Brand new, with warranty, free shipping, and a free catalog, they can be found for right at $600. Why would I pay $500 for a used one? To me, this radio should be priced between $300 and $375. My first 718 I bought new, but the next two were purchased for less than $350 each and they looked and smelled great.

There is little else that can compare to that, except maybe the FT-840 which is a bit older in technology but still a great radio. But the FT-840 you buy may be 15 years old, while there are plenty of much newer 718 rigs around. Given that itís still being made, getting it serviced may be easier.

Over the years, Iíve owned some more novelty rigs like the MFJ 94XX, etc. Those are still selling for near $200 used, and only have one band and very limited features. If you can find a 718 for $300 to $350, the difference in capabilities and quality is incomparable.

So as a second rig, as a mobile or camping rig, or as your main rig if you donít spend all day on the air, itís an absolute wonderful radio IF you can buy it at a reasonable price.

K3SFK Rating: 4/5 Oct 27, 2015 13:02 Send this review to a friend
Powerful and easy upgrade for 718s.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second review for Icom 718s (I own two 718s). I hope that it is helpful for exiting 718 owners and new purchasers.

Much is known about the hardy design of the 718 which was developed from a previous Marine grade radio. The DSP module which is now free also added to its value.

However, when the INRAD 2.1KZ SSB filter ($170) was added to the 718, its performance on SSB was improved substantially. I personally believe it outperforms the Icom 7200 when using the Inrad filter. If the Bob Nagey microphone upgrade ($45) is made to the standard microphone, the SSB 'punch' is very noticeable and improves performance during QSOs.

If CW is also a desired mode, the W4RT 'TWIN' CW and 'Collins' SSB (2.3KZ) filter (about $250) is a great addition for both modes. When I compared the improved performance, it was greatly appreciated.
I also added the frequency stabilizer which appears to be unnecessary for most conditions.
An inexpensive, larger speaker ($25 Cobra) was added to provide more robust sound with satisfactory results for very low cost.

Bottom line: If you want an inexpensive, easy to operate, no firmware concerns, robustly designed HF transceiver that performs very well, consider the Icom 718, but also consider adding high grade filters (INRAD or W4RT-Collins) and microphone upgrades.

This fine radio may perform like a Toyota Corolla with HIGH dependability, easy to use, inexpensive to purchase and maintain, but it does lack some 'fun' bells and whistles. An upgrade Icom 718 may also be ideal for Emcomm due to hardy design and simplicity, small size, etc.

If money was freely available, it would also be pleasant to own an Icom 7600-7700-etc. with all of the bells and whistles for extra enjoyment.

There are many 718s in use today and some may be working for many years. These easy, inexpensive upgrades can greatly improve your enjoyment and satisfaction for users who like the 718 simplicity, solid performance, and dependability.

N2PH Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2015 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for the Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently purchased the IC 718 with the w4rt cw filter as a back up rig. The radio is a joy to operate, simple and the receiver is selective and sensitive enough for me to enough working CW. This radio does the job whether working DX or rag chewing on 40 meters. I would definitely recommend it.

IU0CXU Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2015 13:42 Send this review to a friend
What a performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Fantastic radio for its price.
Good receiver and top audio quality.
Remarkable audio report obtained from my contacts
I wouldn't miss it for the world!!!

KG5ARD Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2015 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Love my 718  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio as my first HF radio because of the price. I haven't looked back or looked at buying a "better" radio. The radio is a challenge sometimes but after studying the manual it is becoming easier. I have had contacts all over the world and with my homemade antennas it has been a blast. I bought it right before I got my General ticket and it was my incentive to pass my test to talk on all of the bands. I have to get my Extra so I can top out my band limits.