Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-718 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-718
ICOM IC-718 Reviews: 422 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $750 1199 Cdn
Description: HF Transciever
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-718.

W1FYL Rating: 3/5 Nov 20, 2016 10:31 Send this review to a friend
No AGC control  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my 718 several years and like it a lot. I recently started overwintering in a noisy Florida location. All sorts of devices -- AC adapters, laptops, cable and Vonage modems, air cleaners, in my home and neighbors' homes -- generate interference that buries weak signals. Under these conditions the receiver seems to reproduce the sound of electrical interference unusually well, resulting in a constant and very fatiguing hash noise. DSP removes some of this noise, but not enough to make listening (CW, my only mode of operation) comfortable for long. It's hard to understand why, but the transceiver is built so that no AGC is available in CW mode, aggravating the problem (the receiver is always at full gain!). And you can't transmit CW with the rig in SSB mode, where AGC is fixed, but at least available. There's no workaround or software upgrade available as a fix. In a quiet location, the rig and receiver are entirely suitable, but in a noisy location the constant hash takes the enjoyment out of hamming!

W9JTC Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2016 15:46 Send this review to a friend
Easy To Use  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got my 718 second hand in great shape with the DSP module. A must have!! Since I have added the cable for my LDG ATU and the USB control cable so I can control from my computer. Also using Signalink USB for Digital. It is a real work horse and can't beat the price for features. This radio will be with me for a long time.

KM4WZU Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2016 15:46 Send this review to a friend
Great basic transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A beginner's review:

I was not an amateur radio operator, but did enjoy SWL with my ICOM R75. Through a chance meeting, I was able to get a used ICOM IC718 for a very price, and it was virtually spotless. The idea was a backup radio for the R75, and maybe "someday" I'd get a license and transmit with the IC718.

That "someday" came three weeks after I bought the unit.

It does everything I need as a newbie in HF. The controls are rather basic, simpler than the R75's. ICOM has made these for years with few changes, and its a good basic unit.

My own gives me close to the "rated" 100w PEP on most bands. I'm using an external full range speaker, and the audio quality that the IC718 is capable of is great. Don't let the built in speaker dissuade your opinions.

The IC718 is not quite the receiver that the R75 is. They "look" similar, but the R75 is a triple conversion radio that is really just an amazing receiver when used with a good antenna. On the other hand, the IC718 is very usable on the ham bands for phone or CW use. I built a CW decoder, and the R75 doesn't play totally well with it, but the IC718 does much better.

As a newbie, I see a whole litany of bells and whistles on newer radios, but the old school part of me says the IC718 is good enough. It works, I can reach half way round the world with it (ie southeast USA to Osaka Japan or Tokyo Japan). The audio I get s clear and legible. Really... everything else is icing on the cake. Tasty icing no doubt, but still just icing.

Zero issues with this used (as new) IC718! I'd replace it with another, or recommend it to a friend without hesitation.

KW4J Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2016 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for modest price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the 718 as a backup for my main rig, but I tend to use it just as often. In fact, I actually prefer it for digital operations. It has never let me down, and I cannot obsolete it. (I have the itch for the new 7300 but the 718 just keeps performing to the point I cannot 'justify' a new toy.) Simple menus and easily accessible controls make it fun to play with. Heck, I even have DSP! Sure, sooner or later I will buy a replacement but it will not be because the 718 was outperformed.

WA4JM Rating: 4/5 Jul 8, 2016 08:31 Send this review to a friend
A Bargain Rig for Sure!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Recently purchased a used 718 off of Ebay that is in mint condition. Takes a little getting used to after operating a Jupiter for years. For what I paid and considering the condition I am very satisfied. A couple of knocks that resulted in a 4 as opposed to a 5: No FM in the 10 meter band. This should not been to hard to achieve. Also, no 60 meter capabilities without opening the radio up. And lastly, and additional filters have to be soldered onto the board. No sockets?

Aside to this, the radio performs flawlessly. I added the Heil ICM series microphone to give it more punch and I receive very good audio reports. Looking around for a 500 HZ CW/RTTY filter and I will be good to go.

KG4LLQ Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2016 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Simple Xceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I continue to use my 718. It's now 13 years old and still in excellent condition. I've had it re-aligned once. I see many non-USA hams haven't rated it as high as USA hams. I don't know why but the 718 is a great performer. I operate CW, PSK-31, RTTY and some SSB (nets only). I only hope Icom doesn't discontinue the jewel.

KG4ERE Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2016 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't be happier  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the first hf radio I have ever purchased. It has not let me down! I have talked around the world with this radio and a simple wire antenna. It is simple to use and a great bargain for the money.

WA7IIR Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2016 09:14 Send this review to a friend
Good basic radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought a new 718 3 years ago and sold it to buy something else. Recently bought a second one in an estate sale. The 718 is easy to use and has good receive audio and power out. The 718 makes a good second radio for me, it does not do FM or 6 meters but I have another rig that does. Compared to the rigs of the 60s and 70s the 718 is a lot of radio for the money.

WN3R Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2016 07:24 Send this review to a friend
Old workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
At $600 new after factory coupon, this radio is certainly a bargain. Just make sure it has the new 2 pin power connector (the old one is 4 pin). The serial number starts with 42.

Not the best, but certainly a great value. Perhaps the best value at this new price point. This model was first produced in 2000 or earlier. The QST review was in 2000.

The new low price reflects history.

M0GNA Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2016 05:26 Send this review to a friend
Old faithful.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Second time around for me with 718.Had one a few years back and should never have got rid of it.It looks like a radio should look and performs like a radio should perform.If your not into bells and whistles and unfathomable endless menus and Technicolor screens etc then this is for you.It costs nothing compared to most other rigs out there and does the same job.The fact that Icom are still producing them speaks volumes for its popularity.Its also a great general coverage receiver.I'm keeping this one I love it.