Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-718 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-718
ICOM IC-718 Reviews: 408 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $750 1199 Cdn
Description: HF Transciever
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-718.

KF6TIL Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2014 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't be happier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I needed to find a HF rig to install on my sailboat (on a budget) it came down to either the Alinco SR-DX8 or Icom IC-718. Although the Alinco has a remote-able face, which would have made installation easier, once I looked at both, side by side, in person my decision was easy, get the 718! Paid just under $600 including shipping at GigaParts (great experience there). During the first 24 hours after installing the rig (56' vertical wire antenna, MFJ-925 auto-tuner) I had no problem working every station that had a decent signal on 80, 40, 20 and 10 meters. Signal reports from contacts have all been good to excellent. Considering the price I paid, I couldn't be happier.

K4DV Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2014 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Read a lot of reviews and talked to several people about this rig before I purchased new. You cant beat this rig for the money. Have had nothing but excellent audio reports on stock microphone. Loud front speaker, good audio. The DSP works fine enough for me.

K1FBI Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2014 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't begin to express how happy I am with this radio. The PBT actually works and works great. The RF gain quiets up the reception. ANF takes out multiple signals and the adjustable noise blanker is decent. DSP although not the most modern is still useful under certain conditions and actually has made the difference between copy and no copy. I use this with an SM-8 mic and the LDG IT-100 tuner. Most everything you need is there and easy to use/access. Ever open up a larger rig and notice how much "empty real estate" is under the cover? This reminds me of a Bose stereo; good things do come in small packages!

KF5GOI Rating: 2/5 Jan 11, 2014 01:10 Send this review to a friend
need a recall  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have two IC-718 that the resistors #271 had split in half supposedly from static. used them both on the same setup as all my gear, even my new FT-950.
Boy was I surprised to find out all this new gear is nothing but a large % of SMD's.
I will be focusing on getting all my mods and upgrades to my tube gear.
If they have had a recall. I would like to know. If not, they sure need one.
This is not from my lack of experience. I don't like tooting my own horn. But always someone lurking with a smart remark. Sorry to say.
Thanks for your site.

M0RIF Rating: 4/5 Jan 4, 2014 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Nice tranceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this transceiver in April 2012 and I am very pleased with it. My first decent HF radio with 100 watt output, I also own an Ft 817 which was my main radio for 18 months. Very easy to set up, simple controls and a nice well lit display. very easy to drive with out the manual after only a few days.

pros..decent power output, simple to use, good display, good transmit audio reports, decent general coverage recieve too, noise blanker does work!

Cons... lack of filters as standard, small speaker,could do with more scanning features, but hey the price...cant complain!

I got my self an SM30 mike form Icom, very good addition get very good audio reports, and then connect up a BHI dsp speaker and the audio is superb....I have used mine from 80 to 10 metres and has been widebanded to operate on 60 metres...cracking little set...

PU5JGR Rating: 4/5 Dec 9, 2013 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Noisy reception  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my IC-718 second hand from a ham radio friend here in Brazil for just over U$650,00 a reasonable price here in Brazil. This HF-718 was in a very nice condition. At first I was very enthusiastic with its resources. The only inconvenient being the menu system which in my opinion is rather anoying. The worst part however is the extremely noisy reception even when you install a DSP module.

VK2NZA Rating: 3/5 Nov 4, 2013 04:45 Send this review to a friend
Good value but!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased a used but very tidy IC 718 from a member of my club over a year ago with the view to using it in my RV for our outback traveling around Australia. It has a comparatively small footprint for fitment to the space set aside for the task.
I tried it out in the shack for a while and immediately liked its simplicity with an easy menu system.
the pros for me..
Size - compact, not too big a footprint where space ia a consideration.
Simple menu system.
Reasonable display size.
doesn't appear to run hot.
Has a punchy xmitt, gets out well on my 35 meter high 80/40/20 meter dipoles.
Good transmit audio reports.
price was right!
The DSP is quite good and a worthwhile option.
They appear to be quite reliable and robust.
Cons.
In Australia not supplied with UT 106 DSP but added one at a cost of $120.00 Aus, increases cost of unit.
No ATU, but price as entry level unit justifys this I guess, running with an AT-180 at presnt and it matches well.
Supplied Chinese HM-36 mic is lacklustre, output is low, haven't done the modification yet as an old SM8 solved this problem.
Receiver does appear a bit average compared to the units along side it, IC 7410 (excellent receiver) classic Icom R71a and JRC 535 two of the classic great receivers.
I know its a price point thing, however it is noticebly noisier and slightly deaf and ill defined in its audio compared with these other rigs. I note others have spoken of reducing the gain, but nah it doesn't really alter the oridinaryness of the receive.
In the end I've purchased a new IC 7200 for the RV (yep I'm an Icom fan, blame the original R71a purchase, great receivers!)
The Ic 7200 just has a better receiver and more clarity,great selectivity, IF DSP, still compact, a bit more ruggedly constructed and that massive heatsinking that has to be an advantage when the temps start to rise often above 45 degrees celsius or (115 degrees Fahrenheit) in an Australian summer in the outback.
In summation the IC 718 is a good entry point set at a good price point but as others have noted by the time one adds a filter and DSP to the price of a 718 the IC 7200 just seems to be a better choice and value as well.
It does an honest job for a reasonable price however I think its time Icom updated the unit.
I'll be keeping it as a backup and ragchew unit as it does a fine job of this.
All the best VK2NZA

M6AIU Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2013 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Great entry level Transceiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For the price it certainly boxes above its weight! Had mine for nearly a year now and i an really happy with your - simple to use, small footprint and solid performance. I have installed the DSP module and an extra filter set - got an LG ATU and a Tigertronic data interface and easily work Europe from the UK in 5-10 W. Highly recommended for all especially as a standby rig or first HF set.

W4GAL Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2013 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Small Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig about two weeks ago, but it is my second one. I have been a ham since right after God invented lightning. I used the first one as a mobile and portable rig which worked great, and then gave it to my daughter a couple of years ago. Now, I got this one for portable use to replace a TS-570 I sold. My experience is in Kenwood with a long line-up of rigs ending with a TS-570 and TS-590, both of which I have now. This IC-718 competes very well with either, and is super on receive since I added a 300 Hz filter. I use the 718 on CW, SSB, PSK, JT65, and JT9. I AM DELIGHTED! What a great small rig!

G1HQK Rating: 4/5 Jul 14, 2013 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Good little set  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a firm Yaesu man myself, but had an IC703 which I loved but sold, foolish move that was. I wanted another HF set for /P and back up use and decided to go for the 718. I was used to the Icom quiet receiver which I actually like and found a used cracker. Not quite as sensitive as my FT450 but the quiet front end made up for that and I find it a joy to use, not too sure about the DSP find it a bit like a tone control, not as flexible as the Yaesu but does a job of sorts. IF Icom had put FM on this little set it would have been a class leader for its price range. Early days with mine but so far so good.