Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-718 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-718
ICOM IC-718 Reviews: 419 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $750 1199 Cdn
Description: HF Transciever
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-718.

IU0CXU Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2015 13:42 Send this review to a friend
What a performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Fantastic radio for its price.
Good receiver and top audio quality.
Remarkable audio report obtained from my contacts
I wouldn't miss it for the world!!!

KG5ARD Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2015 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Love my 718  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio as my first HF radio because of the price. I haven't looked back or looked at buying a "better" radio. The radio is a challenge sometimes but after studying the manual it is becoming easier. I have had contacts all over the world and with my homemade antennas it has been a blast. I bought it right before I got my General ticket and it was my incentive to pass my test to talk on all of the bands. I have to get my Extra so I can top out my band limits.

BH4AEN Rating: 4/5 Feb 27, 2015 01:43 Send this review to a friend
A great rig for receive and transmit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had purchased my Icom IC-718 transceiver from a leading Icom dealer in Beijing before I got my first ham license and call sign " BH4AEN " in Shanghai. Since my ham license and call sign are for VHF/UHF, I have mostly used my Icom IC-718 for radio listening and digital decoding of RTTY, HF Fax, PSK31. In the first decade of the 21st century, when the international broadcasters either cut down on their broadcast hours or faded out from shortwave all together, American Forces Radio, or AFN ( formerly known as AFRTS ) Guam on 5765 KHz and 13362 KHz, USB, became the only network of English broadcast 24/7 in Asia. At that time, I monitored AFN Guam on daily basis and followed the crisis like Hurricane Katrina in August, 2015, almost wave by wave, from hurricane devastation to its diedown, from CBS news updates via AFN Guam. For single side band reception of critical transmissions, Icom IC-718 excelled and with noticblely better result than many other radios. For digital decoding, Icom IC-718 did a fabulous job much of the time, using the popular TrueTTy and SeaTTY, for HF Fax and the weather maps.

Icom IC-718 was once advertised as used by the U.S. military for communications in the battle fields, as for me, I have yet to upgrade my ham lisense before I am able to enjoy QSOing on the HF spectrum.

KF5GOI Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2015 06:41 Send this review to a friend
3rd review trying to help inform  Time owned: more than 12 months
As you will see I gave two reviews already. There is a problem. As in past reviews. Just informing that I repaired both Of the IC718 that I have. I had to modify some of my gear and even though I had the components which I purchased from Icom, I am not equipped to install these miniature components. I used a standard resistor that was equal to the factory one and was able to install them on both 718's and they have been working great. One is used as a mobile unit. The other I use in multiple situations. I do take care to avoid static in every form.
For the money the performance is very good on transmit and better on receive.
May you all enjoy your experiences with this radio.
My favorite for my main station is the Yaesu FT-950 along with the Audio Technica ATR1300 microphone which you can find the mic online for about $30. I hope to purchase either the FTDX1200or the FT-3000.

W2DI Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2014 15:54 Send this review to a friend
5 stars-the 718 & G4RNI  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Let me say that the previous review of G4RNI gets Five Full Stars from me. Superb explanation!
And, timely for me. I've had the 718 for all of about 3 hours, so I don't qualify as an expert, but I'll give my first impressions anyway.
Yes, with the rf gain at max and the attenuator off, the rig picks up quite a bit of everything on a busy, already noisy band such as 40m. It seems almost too sensitive. But now I have a better idea of how and why those controls are there and I will make use of both.
The receive audio from the speaker and reports from other stations I contacted were all very good. I kept the alc within the suggested range and did have the processor on. This with the hand mic. I'll do some a-b testing with nearby stations when I have the opportunity.
The 718 looks and feels solid and I'm glad to hear there is some over-engineering in the electronic components of the rig.
I like the DSP also. I can't say this about other radios I've had. One in particular, in a higher price class, had DSP functions that did very little.
The noise reduction on the 718 does really smooth out noise without adding distortion or digital artifacts.
The variable notch is truly amazing. It's fast and deep, eliminating all carrier tones it encounters. The shift is also effective in dealing with noise from the neighbors.
The menu isn't excessively daunting and very easy to learn. Many of the 'set and leave' settings are in the start-up menu.
Tuning is smooth and the rig doesn't have an excess of controls, which I like.
It appears to be a very good radio at a very reasonable price. And, with the information so clearly provided from G4RNI, I am happy with my purchase.
Thank you, George!

G4RNI Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2014 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Iím a (retired) comms and instrumentation tech and have been a licensed amateur since 1982. Iím quite at home with microVolts, the inverse square law, impedances and waggling a soldering iron about. This however is written in a ďreal worldĒ format, rather than just spouting a load of figures. Those measurements are available elsewhere.

In a nutshell, I found the IC-718 to be a very capable performer but it helps if you take time to understand a little of whatís going on, under the lid, especially about receiver architecture. If you do then youíll find you can achieve great results with this baby. Far better than some may lead you to believe.

I compared the IC-718 alongside my IC-9100 and IC-7600 on quiet, moderately busy and crowded bands. The 9100 and 7600 are fairly similar in performance. That said, although the 9100 can exhibit marginally better close in strong v weak signal results than the 7600 you have to actually hunt for these better results and so Iíll restrict this review to 718 v 7600.

Applying the standard plug n play techniques adopted all to often nowadays, the 718 RX did suffer from overload and excessive noise under busy band conditions. It became S5 to S6 noisy. The noise is due to lots of signals hitting the 1st mixer and the resultant reciprocal mixing products travelling throughout the receive chain. Thatís a posh way of saying if you go into a rock concert, your ears will probably whistle afterwards. The whistling isnít real, itís a product of your ears beaing overloaded. Radios do the same with lots of strong signals. They get overloaded.

Some think the answer to everything is a pre-amp to pull up the weak signals lost in all the noise but that often only makes things worse. Like putting in a hearing aid then going into the same rock concert in the mistaken belief itíll help you hear your pals trying to talk over the kiloWatts of rock. It wonít. Itíll only make the whistling louder.

In busy bands, use the attenuator. Yes, the S meter will drop but what the hell? Can the operator at the other end of the QSO SEE it? No! The noise vanishes at a much greater rate than the signals you want because the 1st mixer isnít being beaten senseless and youíll actually hear weaker signals than with the pre-amp on.

Use the RF gain control. Back it off and the noise will diminish. Thatís why they put the thing there. Itís why itís on so many radios yet most operators run it at max. Iím sure some wish it went ďall the way up to elevenĒ!

So with sensible use of the attenuator, pre-amp OFF switch and RF gain youíll find you can hear the vast majority of stuff that a rig costing five times as much can hear. I certainly could. Oh, the audio is nice too but you'll need an external speaker to appreciate that. Even a Cambridge Soundworks 2" speaker sounds most pleasant.

Next, the transmitter. Itís 100 Watts and 100 Watts is 100 Watts is 100 Watts whether theyíre Watts from a ten grand rig or a five hundred rig. Every Watt is the same size as every other Watt. You donít get better quality Watts with more dollars, euros or pounds.

The 718 tx uses the same power devices as many, many other far more expensive radios. In mine, an earlier version itís 2SC2904ís. A pair of them. Theyíre the same as Icom used in the IC-751A which gets a solid 5/5 rating right here. Theyíre the same as Icom use in many of their 150 Watt marine radios. Theyíre capable of developing a lot more and the manufacturer rates them at 100 Watts out, EACH, but running them at just 100 Watts out of a pair means theyíre well within spec, running at less than half of their maximum capability and giving a good, solid, reliable and clean 100 Watts out. 2SC2904ís have been in use in gear for over 30 years without excessive failing. Theyíre by no means indestructable but they are extremely reliable and way over-engineered for 100 Watt ham radio transmitters.

Later versions use the 70 Watt RD70HHF1 power fet in a pair. At 100 Watts out, your signal is again nice and clean, well within device spec and from the same PA components as used in many, more expensive radios. Like its RX, the transmit audio is very nice.

So, if youíre happy to save many hundreds of dollars, euros or pounds and you can summon up the energy to press the attenuator button, switch off the pre-amp or turn that ever so heavy RF gain control then you can have a very capable radio and not fall foul of the bank manager.

Itís basic, has no frills, doesnít have fancy screens but will perform quite admirably.

If you want better performance then by all means go for a higher spec radio but you donít get 5 x as much radio for 5 x the price.

Itís not really a 5 but I canít give it 4.5 and itís worth more than a 4. If I could score out of 10 Iíd really want to give it 8.5. Sometimes there just isnít a size that fits. Because of this Iíve offset giving it a 4 by considering the value for money of the IC-718 and itís a ďlow fiveĒ.

DF2AR Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2014 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Very good for this price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my second 718, I used one already some years ago and then I sold it. Now I have a new one (used).
For this price (used 330 Euro) its a very good HF-Rig. I'm only QRV in CW and if you do CW, you absolutely need the FL-52A (500 Hz) oder the FL-53A (250 HZ)-Filter.
Disadvantage: These filters are very expensive: New between about 190 and 260 Euro (!!). I got a used one at ebay for 50 Euro and it works fantastic !
During the last 10 years I used a lot of other RIGs from Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom, but for this price, the 718 is one of the best !

KD5NDU Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2014 09:57 Send this review to a friend
very good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got two ICOM 718 radios I use one noble and on digital modes. One in the house I had for 6 years now and works good still. I run it 24/7 on RMS program. It been good little radio so far.

KB2SEO Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2014 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Owned for 6 years, my experience...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a few HF rigs, from the tempo-one , the FT 101ZD,TS-440s, My Beloved icom 725 and 737a. So I got around some of the best and worst (read my FT-100 experience) I wanted to be sure to give a warts and all accounting of the Icom 718. IT BARELY makes all 5's. the pluses are:
* PRICE- c'mon gang, My wife got this radio with the DSP for 550 at HRO. We went to the ATL HRO to window shop. she saw the 718, and when I was walking to the car, she was buying it (I guess spending over 20 minutes on CW can help?)
* Versatile- I run PSK, CW, SSB on her. It has taken some real beatings on key downs and not missed a beat. Currently I am using it for NCS work on the 28.390 North GA Laryngitis net. It has done pretty well!
*SIMPLE-I agree with a few others, switching from Straight Key to Paddles is a bit of a pain in the Seat interface, but the rest of the menu stuff is not a big deal.
**AUDIO OUTPUT**- the rig has very good Audio output. I have used everything from the stock hand mic to a turner super side kick mic. the Only Mic I had any critique that was negative was the TUG-8/D104 was too brassy and loud, no matter the settings. I needed a setup where I can continue to wrap fishing poles (my sideline business)and run the net. I finally settled on a 9 dollar computer head set which I added a foot pedal or the VOX, it sounds like bob Heil set it up!

NEGATIVES-
* NOISY RX*-I have NOT had any issues with Static discharges hurting the radio. BUT I do notice that she can pick up a lot more static and beecuase of the DSP, its harsh to listen to. a minor adjustment to the IF shift makes it a lot more tolerable. I would love to hear from Hams who were able to clear it up.
*ERGONOMICS*- I believe that the Contol knobs could have stood to be a tad bigger for us guys who have Kielbasa for fingers. the tuning knob is fine.
*ANL/NB* Its a Menu driven affair, it could be "tighter"
**RECEIVER**- IF you are as unfortunate as me to have a CB'er running illegal and dirty rig, EXPECT TO HAVE YOUR RIG SPLATTERED. He's about a 1/2 mile from me, His wife has a shrill voice which bleeds between the local 2 meter repeater and WWV. my Poor 718 gets blasted, My ears are burnt.

But overall, for what it is, and the warts and all, I was impressed when Conditions are "normal" (the CB'er is sleeping off the Jack Daniels and Old spice, and the static isn't overly bad)- I can hear stations that my 725 does not. Its been great for the Net duties and its compact without needing tweezers to get to an adjustment.
Overall, I have had good experiences dealing with tech and customer support, the radio looks nice, it works well and compared to the FT100, and the awful customer care I had with Yaesu, its hands down a winner!

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2014 11:55 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one new in 2003 and posted a 5 review here on eham.. 11 yrs later I decided I would invest in a new one for the shop/garage..i replaced a ts480 I had in here for 6 yrs. it was a good radio too,although I didn't really like the body/head configuration.. the 718 has been around for 11-12 yrs I believe,but it truly is a workhorse. doesn't have any major issues as crapping out like some other model of hf txers..it gets excellent audio reprts,hears well,and is reasonably priced..i recommend the 718 for a conscious minded buyer