Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-718 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-718
ICOM IC-718 Reviews: 400 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $750 1199 Cdn
Description: HF Transciever
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-718.

W4GAL Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2013 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Small Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig about two weeks ago, but it is my second one. I have been a ham since right after God invented lightning. I used the first one as a mobile and portable rig which worked great, and then gave it to my daughter a couple of years ago. Now, I got this one for portable use to replace a TS-570 I sold. My experience is in Kenwood with a long line-up of rigs ending with a TS-570 and TS-590, both of which I have now. This IC-718 competes very well with either, and is super on receive since I added a 300 Hz filter. I use the 718 on CW, SSB, PSK, JT65, and JT9. I AM DELIGHTED! What a great small rig!

G1HQK Rating: 4/5 Jul 14, 2013 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Good little set  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a firm Yaesu man myself, but had an IC703 which I loved but sold, foolish move that was. I wanted another HF set for /P and back up use and decided to go for the 718. I was used to the Icom quiet receiver which I actually like and found a used cracker. Not quite as sensitive as my FT450 but the quiet front end made up for that and I find it a joy to use, not too sure about the DSP find it a bit like a tone control, not as flexible as the Yaesu but does a job of sorts. IF Icom had put FM on this little set it would have been a class leader for its price range. Early days with mine but so far so good.

K2PJW Rating: 4/5 Jul 1, 2013 12:39 Send this review to a friend
A good basic HF rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a fun little radio to operate. It's small enough for portable fun and big enough for your desk in the shack.

The layout of the buttons and knobs works well.

The AF DSP works surprisingly well. It works better than I thought it would.

The one thing that I do not like about this radio is the ssb receive mode. It seems that the AGC is set too fast so long periods of operation put a strain on my ears. After using the radio for a while I started using the RF gain knob to overcome this and it solved the problem.

There is an AGC mod that can be found online but I didn't want to open the radio and change anything. Using the RF gain knob made this mod unnecessary in my opinion.

Another known issue is this radio's susceptibility to static discharge problems. I have never experienced this myself but a fair number of others have.

Personally I am not a fan of Icom but this Icom 718 is a great entry level or backup radio.

A basic, simple to operate, affordable radio. I would have loved one of these back when I was first licensed. I think this is more of a $500.00 radio than a $700.00 radio, especially with the fact that IF based DSP radios are only slightly more expensive.

KD2DBM Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2013 17:55 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT entry level rig!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The IC-718 was my first HF rig and it was a work horse. I mean I put that thing thru the mill and then some and it kept on ticking just like a Timex!!! I wish I had never gotten rid of it. I truly miss it. Easy to follow menus, RTTY, PSK31, FSK was EXCELLENT on the IC-718. Great audio reports, I worked ALLOT of DX with it on a homebrew Dipole at 30 feet. I've graduated now to a Kenwood but would DEFINITELY invest in another IC-718 for a backup rig. I HIGHLY recommend it for any new HAM just coming into HF privailedges!!! You can't go wrong especially for the price.

Bill - KD2DBM

KI4TZX Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2013 05:14 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I think this radio does all it supposed to do and does it well. Not sure why some reviews say it has a noisy receive, mine is not.

KF6OCI Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2013 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Same For Me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree completely with KG7AV.
I have much more expensive, but really
like the IC-718, for what it is.

KF6OCI

KC9UNL Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2013 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Value and Performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is an excellent transceiver for the money. It is easy to operate and has enough add-ons to make operating both pleasurable and easy. Reading the manual is a MUST to learn about all of the features. Would suggest that you get the Nifty Guide which is much better for operation by mode i.e. CW. I love the way this radio operates on CW. Icom should make a better effort to promote this model to newly licensed hams. They will love operating it as their first HF radio.

KG7AV Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2013 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Great All-Around Value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I think the adage about telescopes (the best one is the one you will use often and enjoy) applies equally to radios. So a rating of 5 is based on what I wanted and expected, not in comparison to an IC-9100 or an FTDX-5000. I wanted a straightforward, functional, and reliable rig - and the 718 has certainly fulfilled that. I'm not a major contester, content to run barefoot, and I don't have a tower with a directional beam for major DX. Layout is clean, menus straightforward. Very easy integration with HRD and other software. Relatively small footprint makes it easy to use as a base and in the field, driving verticals, full wave HLoops, dipoles, etc. Easy to run anywhere from 1-2W QRP to 100W. Built in keyer works great for CW. It also functions as a very good SWL receivier. Addition of an LDG autotuner, an FL-222 filter, a Signalink USB, and ditching the factory hand mic for a Heil iCM has made for a very functional, versatile, and fun to use rig.

NB9M Rating: 1/5 Mar 3, 2013 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Very noisy receiver - spring for an FT-450!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I realize this is an entry-level transceiver, but the receiver is one of the noisiest I have used in my 40+ years of radio. It literally beats you to death when listening to it long-term.

The concentric knobs are poor quality, and the audio taper is not very linear. The front-facing speaker is a good thing in terms of versatility, but recovered audio is much more intelligible with an external speaker.

The provided stock microphone placement of the up/down push buttons are such that some will find themselves moving up the band when keying.

Menus are more logical than the Yaesu competition, but the FT-450 is a better radio if you can spend a little more. I had the opportunity to compare both on Field Day in 2009. A brand new IC-718 was not even close in overall performance to the FT-450, and ultimately died. It was boxed up for repair before the weekend was over.

The optional UT=102 speech synthesizer audio output is extremely low, and not suitable for the sight-impaired. The optional DSP option is fairly useful for pulling a signal out of the noise, but does not make up for poor receiver design.

The IC-718 is stable and easy to use. It is suitable for occasional use. I relegate it to some occasional PSK-31 QSOs. It was worth the $350 I paid for it, but - for the same money - an old Ten Tec Omni is a far better bet.

VE3XQQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2013 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Big bang theory disproved  Time owned: more than 12 months
You don't have to spend big bucks to get on hf.

I have owned and operated this rig for over 13 years and it has never seen a repair shop. It was purchased as my primary rig replacing my Trio TS511 station with external VFO etc, freeing up allot of real estate. The knob has a nice spin to it and the front firing speaker makes for good intelligibility. I have the DSP module and a 1.8KHz filter, I am mostly SSB and get very good audio reports with the stock microphone. The IF shift is also very effective in cleaning things up when things get crowded.

This is not a 7800 but I would put my 718 against it any day... Considering how few dollars per performance spec it costs to operate, the 718 is a top performer.

No one radio is perfect, only one radio is perfect for your situation.