Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-718 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-718
ICOM IC-718 Reviews: 403 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $750 1199 Cdn
Description: HF Transciever
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-718.

PU5JGR Rating: 4/5 Dec 9, 2013 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Noisy reception  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my IC-718 second hand from a ham radio friend here in Brazil for just over U$650,00 a reasonable price here in Brazil. This HF-718 was in a very nice condition. At first I was very enthusiastic with its resources. The only inconvenient being the menu system which in my opinion is rather anoying. The worst part however is the extremely noisy reception even when you install a DSP module.

VK2NZA Rating: 3/5 Nov 4, 2013 04:45 Send this review to a friend
Good value but!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased a used but very tidy IC 718 from a member of my club over a year ago with the view to using it in my RV for our outback traveling around Australia. It has a comparatively small footprint for fitment to the space set aside for the task.
I tried it out in the shack for a while and immediately liked its simplicity with an easy menu system.
the pros for me..
Size - compact, not too big a footprint where space ia a consideration.
Simple menu system.
Reasonable display size.
doesn't appear to run hot.
Has a punchy xmitt, gets out well on my 35 meter high 80/40/20 meter dipoles.
Good transmit audio reports.
price was right!
The DSP is quite good and a worthwhile option.
They appear to be quite reliable and robust.
Cons.
In Australia not supplied with UT 106 DSP but added one at a cost of $120.00 Aus, increases cost of unit.
No ATU, but price as entry level unit justifys this I guess, running with an AT-180 at presnt and it matches well.
Supplied Chinese HM-36 mic is lacklustre, output is low, haven't done the modification yet as an old SM8 solved this problem.
Receiver does appear a bit average compared to the units along side it, IC 7410 (excellent receiver) classic Icom R71a and JRC 535 two of the classic great receivers.
I know its a price point thing, however it is noticebly noisier and slightly deaf and ill defined in its audio compared with these other rigs. I note others have spoken of reducing the gain, but nah it doesn't really alter the oridinaryness of the receive.
In the end I've purchased a new IC 7200 for the RV (yep I'm an Icom fan, blame the original R71a purchase, great receivers!)
The Ic 7200 just has a better receiver and more clarity,great selectivity, IF DSP, still compact, a bit more ruggedly constructed and that massive heatsinking that has to be an advantage when the temps start to rise often above 45 degrees celsius or (115 degrees Fahrenheit) in an Australian summer in the outback.
In summation the IC 718 is a good entry point set at a good price point but as others have noted by the time one adds a filter and DSP to the price of a 718 the IC 7200 just seems to be a better choice and value as well.
It does an honest job for a reasonable price however I think its time Icom updated the unit.
I'll be keeping it as a backup and ragchew unit as it does a fine job of this.
All the best VK2NZA

M6AIU Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2013 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Great entry level Transceiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For the price it certainly boxes above its weight! Had mine for nearly a year now and i an really happy with your - simple to use, small footprint and solid performance. I have installed the DSP module and an extra filter set - got an LG ATU and a Tigertronic data interface and easily work Europe from the UK in 5-10 W. Highly recommended for all especially as a standby rig or first HF set.

W4GAL Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2013 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Small Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig about two weeks ago, but it is my second one. I have been a ham since right after God invented lightning. I used the first one as a mobile and portable rig which worked great, and then gave it to my daughter a couple of years ago. Now, I got this one for portable use to replace a TS-570 I sold. My experience is in Kenwood with a long line-up of rigs ending with a TS-570 and TS-590, both of which I have now. This IC-718 competes very well with either, and is super on receive since I added a 300 Hz filter. I use the 718 on CW, SSB, PSK, JT65, and JT9. I AM DELIGHTED! What a great small rig!

G1HQK Rating: 4/5 Jul 14, 2013 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Good little set  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a firm Yaesu man myself, but had an IC703 which I loved but sold, foolish move that was. I wanted another HF set for /P and back up use and decided to go for the 718. I was used to the Icom quiet receiver which I actually like and found a used cracker. Not quite as sensitive as my FT450 but the quiet front end made up for that and I find it a joy to use, not too sure about the DSP find it a bit like a tone control, not as flexible as the Yaesu but does a job of sorts. IF Icom had put FM on this little set it would have been a class leader for its price range. Early days with mine but so far so good.

K2PJW Rating: 4/5 Jul 1, 2013 12:39 Send this review to a friend
A good basic HF rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a fun little radio to operate. It's small enough for portable fun and big enough for your desk in the shack.

The layout of the buttons and knobs works well.

The AF DSP works surprisingly well. It works better than I thought it would.

The one thing that I do not like about this radio is the ssb receive mode. It seems that the AGC is set too fast so long periods of operation put a strain on my ears. After using the radio for a while I started using the RF gain knob to overcome this and it solved the problem.

There is an AGC mod that can be found online but I didn't want to open the radio and change anything. Using the RF gain knob made this mod unnecessary in my opinion.

Another known issue is this radio's susceptibility to static discharge problems. I have never experienced this myself but a fair number of others have.

Personally I am not a fan of Icom but this Icom 718 is a great entry level or backup radio.

A basic, simple to operate, affordable radio. I would have loved one of these back when I was first licensed. I think this is more of a $500.00 radio than a $700.00 radio, especially with the fact that IF based DSP radios are only slightly more expensive.

KD2DBM Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2013 17:55 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT entry level rig!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The IC-718 was my first HF rig and it was a work horse. I mean I put that thing thru the mill and then some and it kept on ticking just like a Timex!!! I wish I had never gotten rid of it. I truly miss it. Easy to follow menus, RTTY, PSK31, FSK was EXCELLENT on the IC-718. Great audio reports, I worked ALLOT of DX with it on a homebrew Dipole at 30 feet. I've graduated now to a Kenwood but would DEFINITELY invest in another IC-718 for a backup rig. I HIGHLY recommend it for any new HAM just coming into HF privailedges!!! You can't go wrong especially for the price.

Bill - KD2DBM

KI4TZX Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2013 05:14 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I think this radio does all it supposed to do and does it well. Not sure why some reviews say it has a noisy receive, mine is not.

KF6OCI Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2013 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Same For Me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree completely with KG7AV.
I have much more expensive, but really
like the IC-718, for what it is.

KF6OCI

KC9UNL Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2013 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Value and Performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is an excellent transceiver for the money. It is easy to operate and has enough add-ons to make operating both pleasurable and easy. Reading the manual is a MUST to learn about all of the features. Would suggest that you get the Nifty Guide which is much better for operation by mode i.e. CW. I love the way this radio operates on CW. Icom should make a better effort to promote this model to newly licensed hams. They will love operating it as their first HF radio.