Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-718 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-718
ICOM IC-718 Reviews: 426 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $750 1199 Cdn
Description: HF Transciever
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-718.

26JLH Rating: 2/5 May 11, 2012 17:07 Send this review to a friend
not as good as my ts130 kenwood  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
got this 3 years ago to replace my kenwood ts-130se.
i tryed to like it, i don't like menus so i got rid of it.
reciever was not as nice as the kenwood now i got a ts-120 and i am happy as i only do 20 and 40 meters.
and i got a cw filter all for 225 pounds i thought the 718 was a bit noisyer than i liked but it was good for psk as it is stable,maybe ok for cw with filter .. jeff .. 2e0glu

WA6IPD Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2012 08:31 Send this review to a friend
Fun  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an outstanding rig. Those that say it's only an OK rig for beginners or only OK as a second rig have to be newbies to Amateur Radio. In the late 60s I purchased a new Swan 350 for $2,260.00 (in todays dollars) and it had zero features as compared to the IC-718. This rig will more than satisfy the average user. I also have an Orion II so I'm not inexperienced in all the bells and whistles available. But for an all around fun rig the IC-718 is a good choice.

K7NNG Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2012 11:39 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
I JUST BOUGHT MY 3RD 718. THERE IS A NOTABLE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE OLDER RIGS AND THIS NEW ONE, SPECIFICALLY WITH THE NR/DSP AND ANF.
DID ICOM MAKE A CHANGE?????
SIDE BY SIDE THEY SOUND DIFFERENT.

PG00023016 Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2012 04:31 Send this review to a friend
Exactly What I Need!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Icom 718 does everything it says it does in the manual. That's the first thing I like about it! Second: I like it's handsome rugged appearance. I wish it had handles like the IC-7200. Third: there are some easy to perform mods for it. I sold my AH-4 Auto Antenna tuner so I performed the mod to put the rig in it's tuning "mode" with the flip of an add-on switch located next to my B&W manual tuner. Nice! Fourth: I also removed the thick dense compressed felt plug from in front of the electret mic element (in the hand mic.) then I replaced it with a open cell foam. The kind you'd find in a window air conditioner. I instantly received better audio reports. I guess I'm at the take it easy stage in my life so this is the perfect rig for me!
73 Y'all WWJD

KG4LLQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2012 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my 718 since January 2003. It's been reliable & does everything I need a transceiver to do. It's my "stand-by receiver" (since I normally operate QRP/vintage/home-brew rigs). I operate CW 95% of the time & bought an Idiom-Press SCAF-1 capacitive filter (Kit) which cost me less than $75.00. It provides the audio selectivity I need for CW when operating the 718. I operate the 718 connected to an MFJ 949E and utilize either a folded dipole 40 meter antenna (300 ohm twin lead fed thru a balun) or a 16 ft high Flag Pole Vertical (fed with RG-213 coax).

KD5NDU Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2012 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I been haring the 718a icon radio for about 6 years now and I use it for phone , rtty, psk31, sstv and works very well in the modes I use

M0JHA Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2012 02:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my second rig . I had one a few years back and regretted the day i sold it . If like me you don't need or want bells and whistles then this radio certainly should be seriously looked at .

I noticed the dsp being mentioned as not much use, this i agree with but the NB on mine works great. My lower power level is about 2 watts on this rig but i suppose all will differ slightly.

One thing i must add , i work qrp ONLY and the meters don't really like low power and won't show things like vswr and power out accurately BUT this isn't a qrp radio so that can be forgiven i suppose . On higher power the meters work with no issues ..This was easily got round by simply having a vswr meter in line now i can see the vswr and power when running my massive 2 watts :-)

Mic has a cheap feel to it but the quality of the rest of the radio well outweighs this . I have spoke on air to a couple of people who state a cw filter really transforms this radio so this is a next "must get" for me . so to sum up i can't honestly say there is anything i don't like enough on this radio to cause me to give any negatives, others will have differing issues depending on what they class to be good i suppose.

So if you don't require a radio with more functions than you will honestly need or use and you don't need a radio just to boast about try one ,

it does exactly what it was built for , and well even out the box .

WA3ERQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2012 07:00 Send this review to a friend
A++  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased the IC-718 used and I've been happy ever since. It's can't compare to the FT-950 that I had but I've worked a lot of DX since getting back on the air with outstanding reports using a Titan-DX vertical.

K0CMH Rating: 4/5 Jan 17, 2012 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Still love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 718 since 2005 and am still having a love affair. I started out on simple, tube radios and don't like submenues of submenues. This rig has just enough bells&whistles with just one level of menues. No, it can't do all those things that the four digit $ rigs do, but it does almost everything I want it to do. I use it every day in my shack, and love how light and easy it is to take protable. I have even run it as a mobile, sitting on the passenger seat and using the "direct to battery" power pole set up I use for my 2 meter rig. I really like it and it was really easy on my wallet. The 500 filter really makes the radio sing when working CW.

N3KCM Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2011 21:16 Send this review to a friend
Great starter rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Never had any problems with mine. I started out on PSK31 with this rig and it has been one of the best performers for me. I moved to the IC-7200 because of the IF DSP and 6 meters. With filters on board, this radio does a great job for a low budget radio. Would recommend to others.