Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-718 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-718
ICOM IC-718 Reviews: 408 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $750 1199 Cdn
Description: HF Transciever
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-718.

SV2BWM Rating: 3/5 Oct 6, 2011 01:08 Send this review to a friend
Works fine, but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It has some issues that Icom should have taken care of such as: no sound monitor, no FM modulation, the DSP is optional but it doesn't make any great difference to noise, the voice synth is almost non audible, the carrying handles are optional, the receiver's AGC has no slow/fast control especially for SSB and it is set too fast, the receiver's RF gain is also set too high so it gets very noisy and the audio output lacks mid frequencies...I also installed the Kiwi R75 6KHz filter and it works fine for AM & ESSB, but only for RX. The display has big numbers! Anyway, I am pleased but not satisfied completely with Icom's toy and I think that it is slightly overpriced. So, I think it is good only for portable operations and not for base ones...
+73's de SV2BWM

VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2011 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Great For The Price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had mine for approx. a year and with the help of my BHI NEIM1031 Noise Eliminating In-Line Module, it sure works great with the help of my High Sierra HS-1800/Pro up on a 20ft mast along side the 4-plex.

VU2CDP Rating: 4/5 Sep 25, 2011 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Good no-frills radio for beginners & casual HF ops  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 718 was my first HF radio and continues to be the primary radio. However, I have had experiences with other radios lately (FT 950, K3 etc.) and I have come to realise its shortcomings.
It's great for a beginner but as your operating skills advance you might invest in something that suits your operating requirements better. The 718 has limited options for enhancing its performance. The DSP is quite useless and there is no AGC control. I have an Inrad 250Hz filter installed but I can't add any more unless I install the W4RT board. I have used this radio in a few contests. During crowded band condx in a phone contest, the front end simply collapsed. I was continuously riding the gain trying to pick signals out and discern call-signs. If you wish to extract more performance from this radio, you are limited by the choice of options. For the price of the add-ons, it is better to buy a radio with additional features that are built-in. It does not have 6mts and no FM on 10. But the build quality is solid and it doesn't heat up even on running 100w. The ergonomics are quite good and the display is excellent.

It was not marketed as a contest-grade radio or a do-it-all radio. A no-frills radio for beginners or casual HF operators, the 718 does not disappoint if you are one of these. For doing what it was meant to do, it deserves a 4.

IW0GVG Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2011 05:27 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: months
Good radio!

Giovanni

W7KKK Rating: 3/5 Aug 1, 2011 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Good Starter Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these recently to try it out just getting back on the air.
Overall a good little rig and easy to operate. But it's just a very basic radio even with the DSP module and it's not that great.
If you intend to operate CW you are almost certainly going to want a filter however.
And there is only one filter slot which can be a problem for some later on.
Yes you could go the "one board" unit from W4RT to get two good filters but that's currently $249.
Adding that price to the current price of a new IC-718 of $639 and you are at $888.
I am sorry but for that price you can purchase something like the Yaesu FT-450D and have a much better radio to start out with.
Just my thoughts.

KG4LLQ Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2011 05:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent "Starter" Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 718 for over 10 years and use it as my primary transceiver. I primarily operate CW. I bought a LogiKit SCAF-1 Filter which works great to filter near-by signals. The 718 is what it is and was designed to be: An inexpensive, dependable "starter" rig. Although it lacks many of the sophisticated features found on newer rigs, it is a great buy. I am "stuck" in the 1960s & 1970s and own three Heathkit rigs: HW-8, HW-16 & HW-101. In my opinion nothing can compare with the audio from my HW-101 (both xmt and rcv) so I am prejudiced against these modern "plug & play" rigs. So there you have it!

VK4FAUS Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2011 21:28 Send this review to a friend
she's a beaut!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio now for well over a year, and infact bought this radio on the recommendations found herein some time ago.

As is well documented here the radio is a pretty basic affair, but has excellent RX qualities. I live out in the bush so have no worries about nearby electrical interference. But i find the RX to be excellent and rarely need any NR or NB etc enabled. It's simple menu driven controls are easy on the brain and the adjustments are easy on the eye. No need to have tiny hands to control or press buttons.

As a foundation Amateur, I am only allowed 10 watts, but still am able to reach across our wide brown land with no worries at all, and even have the odd yank contact on a simple long wire setup strung between a couple of Iron Bark trees on 80m and 40m, without even the need of a tuner. SWR is right on the money.

If you're sweet on a no frills radio that just works and does an honest days work, with no fuss this is the radio, I use my 718 as a base station setup, but would be just as fine in the ute or car.

She's a beaut, no mistake.

K4CHC Rating: 4/5 Jun 1, 2011 06:38 Send this review to a friend
Great for new Generals  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my 718 after I upgraded to General. After 2 years I am very happy with it. It was easy to set up - after I read the manual. It does not have a lot of features like the newer radios but for a beginner this is a plus, in my opinion. Less whiz bang means less to mess up and that means you are on the air quicker.

I added a SignaLink for digital modes, downloaded Digipan, and was on PSK really quick.

I use the 718 almost 100% now for digital.

I now have a 7200 that I use for phone but I still use the 718 daily for digital.

KC8UIO Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2011 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Nice HF Transceiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this transceiver for a while, so it's time to review it. I have my 718 connected to a loaded dipole (100 feet long) through an LDG IT-100 Tuner. With this set-up, I have worked a lot of DX stations and many US stations.

The audio is mostly clear, but I gey some local noise on 160 meters. I am going to try a preselector as this area (NE Ohio) has a lot of local broadcast AM radio stations. As far as I can tell, this is a good tranceiver for HF communications.

PY1XM Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2011 16:21 Send this review to a friend
GUD AND LOW COST  Time owned: more than 12 months
LOW COST, WITH SIMPLE MODS, BECAME A VY GUD ONE.FINE CW AND ALSO GUD IN PHONE. I OPENED IT, NOW WITH 150 WATTS OUT PUT POWER, AND IN CW WITH 150 WATTS U CAN PLAY EVERY PLACE AROUND THE WORLD.
I GAVE 5.0, DUE TO BE SO EASY TO MODIFY.

73, TOM PY1OW / PY4UM.