Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-718 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-718
ICOM IC-718 Reviews: 405 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $750 1199 Cdn
Description: HF Transciever
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-718.

IW0GVG Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2011 05:27 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: months
Good radio!

Giovanni

W7KKK Rating: 3/5 Aug 1, 2011 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Good Starter Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these recently to try it out just getting back on the air.
Overall a good little rig and easy to operate. But it's just a very basic radio even with the DSP module and it's not that great.
If you intend to operate CW you are almost certainly going to want a filter however.
And there is only one filter slot which can be a problem for some later on.
Yes you could go the "one board" unit from W4RT to get two good filters but that's currently $249.
Adding that price to the current price of a new IC-718 of $639 and you are at $888.
I am sorry but for that price you can purchase something like the Yaesu FT-450D and have a much better radio to start out with.
Just my thoughts.

KG4LLQ Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2011 05:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent "Starter" Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 718 for over 10 years and use it as my primary transceiver. I primarily operate CW. I bought a LogiKit SCAF-1 Filter which works great to filter near-by signals. The 718 is what it is and was designed to be: An inexpensive, dependable "starter" rig. Although it lacks many of the sophisticated features found on newer rigs, it is a great buy. I am "stuck" in the 1960s & 1970s and own three Heathkit rigs: HW-8, HW-16 & HW-101. In my opinion nothing can compare with the audio from my HW-101 (both xmt and rcv) so I am prejudiced against these modern "plug & play" rigs. So there you have it!

VK4FAUS Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2011 21:28 Send this review to a friend
she's a beaut!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio now for well over a year, and infact bought this radio on the recommendations found herein some time ago.

As is well documented here the radio is a pretty basic affair, but has excellent RX qualities. I live out in the bush so have no worries about nearby electrical interference. But i find the RX to be excellent and rarely need any NR or NB etc enabled. It's simple menu driven controls are easy on the brain and the adjustments are easy on the eye. No need to have tiny hands to control or press buttons.

As a foundation Amateur, I am only allowed 10 watts, but still am able to reach across our wide brown land with no worries at all, and even have the odd yank contact on a simple long wire setup strung between a couple of Iron Bark trees on 80m and 40m, without even the need of a tuner. SWR is right on the money.

If you're sweet on a no frills radio that just works and does an honest days work, with no fuss this is the radio, I use my 718 as a base station setup, but would be just as fine in the ute or car.

She's a beaut, no mistake.

K4CHC Rating: 4/5 Jun 1, 2011 06:38 Send this review to a friend
Great for new Generals  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my 718 after I upgraded to General. After 2 years I am very happy with it. It was easy to set up - after I read the manual. It does not have a lot of features like the newer radios but for a beginner this is a plus, in my opinion. Less whiz bang means less to mess up and that means you are on the air quicker.

I added a SignaLink for digital modes, downloaded Digipan, and was on PSK really quick.

I use the 718 almost 100% now for digital.

I now have a 7200 that I use for phone but I still use the 718 daily for digital.

KC8UIO Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2011 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Nice HF Transceiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this transceiver for a while, so it's time to review it. I have my 718 connected to a loaded dipole (100 feet long) through an LDG IT-100 Tuner. With this set-up, I have worked a lot of DX stations and many US stations.

The audio is mostly clear, but I gey some local noise on 160 meters. I am going to try a preselector as this area (NE Ohio) has a lot of local broadcast AM radio stations. As far as I can tell, this is a good tranceiver for HF communications.

PY1XM Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2011 16:21 Send this review to a friend
GUD AND LOW COST  Time owned: more than 12 months
LOW COST, WITH SIMPLE MODS, BECAME A VY GUD ONE.FINE CW AND ALSO GUD IN PHONE. I OPENED IT, NOW WITH 150 WATTS OUT PUT POWER, AND IN CW WITH 150 WATTS U CAN PLAY EVERY PLACE AROUND THE WORLD.
I GAVE 5.0, DUE TO BE SO EASY TO MODIFY.

73, TOM PY1OW / PY4UM.

W7GSH Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2011 17:32 Send this review to a friend
I love this Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this radio after reading the reviews here.This is a great radio,I have made several DX contacts in the short time I have owned it.I work mostly 20 and 40 meter phone.I can't wait to set it up for digital modes.Highly recommended for the price.

AA8XR Rating: 4/5 Apr 21, 2011 10:28 Send this review to a friend
not bad at all  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this rig as my mobile HF, the only way I can get on HF any more, and it is getting good reports from everyone I have talked to. I replaced my 1995 vintage Icom 738 with this, it is very different sounding on the audio side, perhaps a bit noisier, but the audio reports I get a very good, it is a small rig in the car, this is a good thing, I use it with Hustler resonators and have pretty good experiences with it thus far. Next I am going to put my old 1995 vintage Timewave DSP 599 on it, as well as a manual antenna tuner to get maximum antenna use.

G4FUT Rating: 4/5 Apr 15, 2011 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad rig at all  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this little rig for the last 15 months and used it SSB, CW and digital, the latter is what I really got it for. I do not understand the complaints about the RX as if a little trouble is taken with the various adjustments of RF, NB and Pre-Amp very good quality may be obtained. On JT65 mode, the RX can pick out and decode signals which are way below the noise threshold, in many cases, some 20dbs below. Certainly below the human ear threshold. I agree that the AM is rubbish, the filter as supplied is far too narrow for decent SWLing in that mode. Frequency stability is 100%. perfect for digital usage. Power is easily adjusted from 100 watts down to less than 5 watts, using one menu. There are 2 menus, but I have never had to use the second one. This rig sits alongside my TS830s, TS530sp and although its RX is not as good as those rigs, never-the-less it is perfectly acceptable....if as I said previously, a little trouble is taken to maximise it. I have never experienced the poor sensitivity or selectivity mentioned in one or two other reports.
Jon G4FUT