Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-718 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-718
ICOM IC-718 Reviews: 419 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $750 1199 Cdn
Description: HF Transciever
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-718.

WA3ERQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2012 07:00 Send this review to a friend
A++  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased the IC-718 used and I've been happy ever since. It's can't compare to the FT-950 that I had but I've worked a lot of DX since getting back on the air with outstanding reports using a Titan-DX vertical.

K0CMH Rating: 4/5 Jan 17, 2012 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Still love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 718 since 2005 and am still having a love affair. I started out on simple, tube radios and don't like submenues of submenues. This rig has just enough bells&whistles with just one level of menues. No, it can't do all those things that the four digit $ rigs do, but it does almost everything I want it to do. I use it every day in my shack, and love how light and easy it is to take protable. I have even run it as a mobile, sitting on the passenger seat and using the "direct to battery" power pole set up I use for my 2 meter rig. I really like it and it was really easy on my wallet. The 500 filter really makes the radio sing when working CW.

N3KCM Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2011 21:16 Send this review to a friend
Great starter rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Never had any problems with mine. I started out on PSK31 with this rig and it has been one of the best performers for me. I moved to the IC-7200 because of the IF DSP and 6 meters. With filters on board, this radio does a great job for a low budget radio. Would recommend to others.

KL2TC Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2011 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Component quality is very high  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I won this rig at our local hamfest and I have to say, I am very impressed. I needed a back-up rig and this is perfect. The quality of the pots (although there are only two) is far superior to those in my Yaesu, with little play and a quality, smooth feel through their range. That VFO is very nice, smooth and accurate for my ham-handed fists. The mic is cheap, but what the hell, it works.

Plus it has good ears and gets out on real low power (5 watts when I dial it down). It also has a front firing speaker, which is nice as all my other monitors are, at present, taken.

73, Al

GM0HKS Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2011 09:35 Send this review to a friend
IC718 - splendid  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned this 718 for a short time but already I am greatly impressed with its performance. Prior to this solid state rig I have owned a TS530, TS830, IC725, FT857 and an FT570D so maybe I am not really qualified to comment but here is my ten penneth. If a quality 500hz CW filter is fitted to this rig, it transforms it from a mediocre to a simply splendid platform for CW operating. I have read all the reviews here on Eham and clearly, they are mixed, extending from mild criticism and praise to extremely negative views. I am primarily a CW operator and what I am looking for is a receiver front end which is capable of reasonable sensitivity and good selectivity. With the Icom filter installed, this is easily achieved and meets my requirements admirably. What do I like about this rig ? Its appearance and front panel ergonomics. The layout is sensible and the VFO dial has a very positive feel to it. A large clear screen with the option to alter the illumination on the panel makes hours of sitting in front of it very manageable and fun. The menus & sub menus are very simple to figure out and no degree in rocket science is required. The FT857 that I owned frustrated me to the point that I disposed of it altogether. Fitted with the Icom 500hz CW filter, it is simply awesome and the selectivity really ramps up. In my opinion, it steps up a class all of its own. My CW operating varies between QRP and around 50 watts. The 718 of course allows power to be dropped right down below the 5 watt mark and I can drive my home brew linear amp with such low outputs from the 718. Its the best of all worlds and will, within reason, ensure the finals fitted to the 718 don't suffer a life of being "full on". What do I not like about this rig ? Having to switch it on and off to gain entry to one of the set up menus. All very odd. The volume control pot ! There is no way to reduce the volume to an absolute minimum. It seems to pass a point where the audio just shuts off completely and when you turn the pot clockwise, it comes back on at a level that is higher than required ? its either off or on at a level which your preference tells you.....this is wrong ? Almost as though the value of the potentiometer is questionable. The fan running every time I key the rig, even at low power. Its something I have experienced before and am very conscious of. The noise level is an irritant; it reminds me of another little Icom rig I owned. The IC725 had a long cylindrical cooling fan to the rear which made a hell of a racket when running. Even after changing out the old for a new one, it was, by design, flawed and far too noisy. I would prefer to have the fan running continuously but at a much slower speed in order to remove heat from the inner casing but, you can't have it all. I just wear headphones when operating and it resolves the issue for me. The lack of a traditional form of AGC is a little odd but not insurmountable. I just alter the rf gain and audio gain controls to achieve a reasonably satisfactory audio level, reducing that horrible "pumping" sound so common in rigs of this calibre and class. A slow & fast time constant on AGC would really have benefited this rig but its not the end of the world. I suspect many owners have possibly compared the performance of this rig to previously owned equipment and that is not always a good thing to do. What you pay for is what you get and, on balance, the low cost of the radio is well outweighed by a transceiver that is capable for regular, everyday operating on the bands; both CW and SSB. This is not a contest rig and was never meant to be so don't be too hard on it. Enjoy what you have and structure your operating to overcome its shortcomings of which there are very few; similarly maximise on its advantages and operate it as a good radio amateur ought to. Twiddle, fiddle and tweak until you achieve the optimum that your brain and ears tells you......"this sounds good". With price set against operability, this radio is very hard to put down. Despite the small number of shortcomings, I still rate the radio as a 5/5 at this time.

K7DXT Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2011 06:14 Send this review to a friend
An Excellent & Solid Entry Level Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
For those expecting a high performance rig with all the bells and whistles, please look elsewhere. That is simply what this rig is not about.

But for a solid entry level radio, the IC-718 does very nicely in it's price class. The process of reviewing anything is subjective, and there must be a sort of understanding that giving a radio like this 5 stars is in the context of its class, value, and simplicity.

This is the 2nd IC-718 I have owned, and they are just a great basic entry level radio that performs well with reliability. If there were a lot of repair issues with these things, that would show up in the reviews. But it doesn't.

In over 20 years of ham radio, I've never owned anything but so-called entry level radios. The list includes FT-101E, TS-520, TS-140, FT-840, and my present IC-725. Oh yeah, and an IC-706. Comparing the 718 to the IC-725 I own now, the 718 hears a lot more stations, with a more precise feel about it.

My biggest complaint so far with the 718 is the receive audio. The little speaker in the front is tinny, and may be responsible for people thinking how much noisier this radio is than others. Since it has no fullness or bottom end, it tends to emphasize the irritating noise level. Using an external speaker of better quality helps a lot. And I concur with others that the NB isn't that effective either.

But with this rig available on the used market for around $450, it's a great radio. I'm not one that needs bells and whistles, and I'm not prone to sink thousands into a rig. For the money, it's five stars in my book. If money spent doesn't equate to happiness in your thinking, than you'll be quite pleased at what this little rig can do.

KI7YY Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2011 07:11 Send this review to a friend
Passed the test.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I reviewed this radio originally in 2004. Seven years later I have never seen it equaled for the money. I've owned better radios (Ten-Tec Omni 6, Kenwood TS-450s, Motorola Micom, etc) but have never had a better value. I have downsized my station for our latest digs, a single wide trailer, and this little radio made the cut to remain. Highly recommended.

K5FH Rating: 4/5 Nov 2, 2011 21:17 Send this review to a friend
Good back-up radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my IC-718 as a backup for my IC-746Pro and have done side-by-side comparisons of the two.

Compared to even a mid-grade rig like the 746Pro, the following stand out in the IC-718:

Audio DSP isn't very effective;
Noise blanker isn't effective at all;
The stock MuRata ceramic SSB filter's performance is marginal, which makes the receiver extremely noisy;
Only one additional filter slot (the availability of the W4RT dual-filter board mitigates this somewhat);
No internal antenna tuner (although an interface is provided for the AH-4 and compatible tuners;
No FM capability (with 10M getting better lately, this is important);
No internal CW keyer.

But, as long as you don't expect the 718 to perform like a rig costing 1.5X or more, it's a good "first" HF rig or a backup rig.

Just don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

KI4SJU Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2011 16:16 Send this review to a friend
A+++  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I owned a Icom 718 about 2 years ago and I loved the radio.. I used it mostly for shortwave listening. The radio received very well, but the front speaker could be improved! I always used a external speaker to get a better sound. I have always been a Icom guy, but I sold it for a Yaesu FT-900AT which is a GREAT radio as well but I want my Icom 718 back... So if anyone wants to give up a Icom 718 let me know!

VA3VU Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2011 15:39 Send this review to a friend
Decent Rig Overall  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my 718 USED , but in mint condition from a fellow Canadian Ham. I bought it as a back up for my "do everything" Yaesu 897. I have found myself using this for most of my HF work, and dedicating the 897 for 6, 2, and 432. At the time I am writing this, it can be bought new at Radioworld in Toronto for under 700.oo CDN. Truly well worth the money. It is easy to use, nice audio with the front speaker, and the basic functions perform very well. The DSP is good for a rig at this price and the front buttons are easy to use. This rig has FSK for RTTY also,many basic rigs require AFSK. I have always been a Yaesu man, but this radio has sold me on ICOM. A nice basic radio for any Ham.