Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-718 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-718
ICOM IC-718 Reviews: 403 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $750 1199 Cdn
Description: HF Transciever
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-718.

KG4LLQ Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2011 05:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent "Starter" Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 718 for over 10 years and use it as my primary transceiver. I primarily operate CW. I bought a LogiKit SCAF-1 Filter which works great to filter near-by signals. The 718 is what it is and was designed to be: An inexpensive, dependable "starter" rig. Although it lacks many of the sophisticated features found on newer rigs, it is a great buy. I am "stuck" in the 1960s & 1970s and own three Heathkit rigs: HW-8, HW-16 & HW-101. In my opinion nothing can compare with the audio from my HW-101 (both xmt and rcv) so I am prejudiced against these modern "plug & play" rigs. So there you have it!

VK4FAUS Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2011 21:28 Send this review to a friend
she's a beaut!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio now for well over a year, and infact bought this radio on the recommendations found herein some time ago.

As is well documented here the radio is a pretty basic affair, but has excellent RX qualities. I live out in the bush so have no worries about nearby electrical interference. But i find the RX to be excellent and rarely need any NR or NB etc enabled. It's simple menu driven controls are easy on the brain and the adjustments are easy on the eye. No need to have tiny hands to control or press buttons.

As a foundation Amateur, I am only allowed 10 watts, but still am able to reach across our wide brown land with no worries at all, and even have the odd yank contact on a simple long wire setup strung between a couple of Iron Bark trees on 80m and 40m, without even the need of a tuner. SWR is right on the money.

If you're sweet on a no frills radio that just works and does an honest days work, with no fuss this is the radio, I use my 718 as a base station setup, but would be just as fine in the ute or car.

She's a beaut, no mistake.

K4CHC Rating: 4/5 Jun 1, 2011 06:38 Send this review to a friend
Great for new Generals  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my 718 after I upgraded to General. After 2 years I am very happy with it. It was easy to set up - after I read the manual. It does not have a lot of features like the newer radios but for a beginner this is a plus, in my opinion. Less whiz bang means less to mess up and that means you are on the air quicker.

I added a SignaLink for digital modes, downloaded Digipan, and was on PSK really quick.

I use the 718 almost 100% now for digital.

I now have a 7200 that I use for phone but I still use the 718 daily for digital.

KC8UIO Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2011 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Nice HF Transceiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this transceiver for a while, so it's time to review it. I have my 718 connected to a loaded dipole (100 feet long) through an LDG IT-100 Tuner. With this set-up, I have worked a lot of DX stations and many US stations.

The audio is mostly clear, but I gey some local noise on 160 meters. I am going to try a preselector as this area (NE Ohio) has a lot of local broadcast AM radio stations. As far as I can tell, this is a good tranceiver for HF communications.

PY1XM Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2011 16:21 Send this review to a friend
GUD AND LOW COST  Time owned: more than 12 months
LOW COST, WITH SIMPLE MODS, BECAME A VY GUD ONE.FINE CW AND ALSO GUD IN PHONE. I OPENED IT, NOW WITH 150 WATTS OUT PUT POWER, AND IN CW WITH 150 WATTS U CAN PLAY EVERY PLACE AROUND THE WORLD.
I GAVE 5.0, DUE TO BE SO EASY TO MODIFY.

73, TOM PY1OW / PY4UM.

W7GSH Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2011 17:32 Send this review to a friend
I love this Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this radio after reading the reviews here.This is a great radio,I have made several DX contacts in the short time I have owned it.I work mostly 20 and 40 meter phone.I can't wait to set it up for digital modes.Highly recommended for the price.

AA8XR Rating: 4/5 Apr 21, 2011 10:28 Send this review to a friend
not bad at all  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this rig as my mobile HF, the only way I can get on HF any more, and it is getting good reports from everyone I have talked to. I replaced my 1995 vintage Icom 738 with this, it is very different sounding on the audio side, perhaps a bit noisier, but the audio reports I get a very good, it is a small rig in the car, this is a good thing, I use it with Hustler resonators and have pretty good experiences with it thus far. Next I am going to put my old 1995 vintage Timewave DSP 599 on it, as well as a manual antenna tuner to get maximum antenna use.

G4FUT Rating: 4/5 Apr 15, 2011 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad rig at all  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this little rig for the last 15 months and used it SSB, CW and digital, the latter is what I really got it for. I do not understand the complaints about the RX as if a little trouble is taken with the various adjustments of RF, NB and Pre-Amp very good quality may be obtained. On JT65 mode, the RX can pick out and decode signals which are way below the noise threshold, in many cases, some 20dbs below. Certainly below the human ear threshold. I agree that the AM is rubbish, the filter as supplied is far too narrow for decent SWLing in that mode. Frequency stability is 100%. perfect for digital usage. Power is easily adjusted from 100 watts down to less than 5 watts, using one menu. There are 2 menus, but I have never had to use the second one. This rig sits alongside my TS830s, TS530sp and although its RX is not as good as those rigs, never-the-less it is perfectly acceptable....if as I said previously, a little trouble is taken to maximise it. I have never experienced the poor sensitivity or selectivity mentioned in one or two other reports.
Jon G4FUT

G4XTA Rating: 1/5 Apr 8, 2011 21:31 Send this review to a friend
Worse Every Day  Time owned: months
Well, a few weeks into owning the IC-718 now. It really is the worst quality ham radio set I've every owned, or used. However, it's also by far the cheapest, so I'm not sure if it's fair to criticize it?
But I strongly agree with KB9MRK's review (a few reviews back) - the receiver is way worse than I first thought. The white noise roars from the radio, even on SSB and CW on a silent, dead band. It sounds like an FM rig with the squelch left open!!
Like other reviewers, I find that the Noise Blanker does not work AT ALL, no matter what setting is used, and the pre-amp just lifts the noise floor even more, but doesn't lift the signal.
The rig is absolutely useless mobile (which is what I bought it for) because the interference is end-stopping. I've tried an FT757GX mk1, an FT857D and FT890AT and an FT900 on the same aerial in the car, and the noise is nil, the blanker works fine, and all other problems that are so violently obvious on the IC-718 just disappear. How very sad that none of these traditionally built radios are available any more. I've parked next to two other mobiles in my club, and we compared listening to the same incoming station. Theirs were good, but mine was submerged in receiver noise. I had to turn off the IC-718 because the racket coming from my car was preventing the other guys from being able to hear the station on 20m.
Although it's the cheapest radio on the market, I can't recommend it's value for money. There's a level of quality that you just can't fall below, and the IC-718 has crossed that line.

ZL4AX Rating: 3/5 Mar 29, 2011 22:57 Send this review to a friend
Just Cheap  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this rig because I HAD TO.
There wasn't anything else still on the market that I can operate! I bought other makes and models of far 'better' HF rigs, and found that I couldn't operate them any more. I'm an I.T.Manager and Radio Officer by trade, but these modern rigs are totally beyond me. Nothing but darned MENUs and multi-function buttons. If six-guns had been designed that way, there'd have been a lotta dead cowboys in the wild west! Radios should have one knob for each function, easy to reach - like the steering wheel on a car - instant access.
Anyhow, with a few thousand dollars in my pocket, I had no choice but to buy this cheap and very cut-price IC-718. It was listed at over $1000 in New Zealand, and you don't get the DSP unit that is included in the price everywhere else in the world.
Well, surprisingly, NO COMPLAINTS.
I got just what I paid-for: A cheap, cut price, cut quality, half-built radio with all the parts stripped out.
To get the DSP, the filters, or even a Mic Clip(!) or handle, you have pay extra. Without these things the radio is wide open, roaring and hissing RX, and sounds as good as a cheap CB rig from the 1970's. The TX is great, however!
Yessir, you get what you pay for. Some very inadequate design, ridiculous AGC characteristics, horrendous 'bleed-over' and overloading of the front end etc etc.
But at least I can work it. There's STILL not enough knobs on it, and things like mic gain, display mode and power output are all fighting to share the same multi-function button. But at least there's no damned menu's!
So here I sit. 30 years experience, top-of-honor-roll DX-er, having to use this second rate 'CB' set! I hope you're reading this in Japan, cos I'm one of thousands who are just sick of menu driven radios. Give us more like the IC-718's operating system, only in GOOD quality radios, not just your 'junk' model.
Please.........!