Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-718 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-718
ICOM IC-718 Reviews: 412 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $750 1199 Cdn
Description: HF Transciever

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-718.

K5FH Rating: 4/5 Nov 2, 2011 21:17 Send this review to a friend
Good back-up radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my IC-718 as a backup for my IC-746Pro and have done side-by-side comparisons of the two.

Compared to even a mid-grade rig like the 746Pro, the following stand out in the IC-718:

Audio DSP isn't very effective;
Noise blanker isn't effective at all;
The stock MuRata ceramic SSB filter's performance is marginal, which makes the receiver extremely noisy;
Only one additional filter slot (the availability of the W4RT dual-filter board mitigates this somewhat);
No internal antenna tuner (although an interface is provided for the AH-4 and compatible tuners;
No FM capability (with 10M getting better lately, this is important);
No internal CW keyer.

But, as long as you don't expect the 718 to perform like a rig costing 1.5X or more, it's a good "first" HF rig or a backup rig.

Just don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.
KI4SJU Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2011 16:16 Send this review to a friend
A+++  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I owned a Icom 718 about 2 years ago and I loved the radio.. I used it mostly for shortwave listening. The radio received very well, but the front speaker could be improved! I always used a external speaker to get a better sound. I have always been a Icom guy, but I sold it for a Yaesu FT-900AT which is a GREAT radio as well but I want my Icom 718 back... So if anyone wants to give up a Icom 718 let me know!
VA3VU Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2011 15:39 Send this review to a friend
Decent Rig Overall  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my 718 USED , but in mint condition from a fellow Canadian Ham. I bought it as a back up for my "do everything" Yaesu 897. I have found myself using this for most of my HF work, and dedicating the 897 for 6, 2, and 432. At the time I am writing this, it can be bought new at Radioworld in Toronto for under 700.oo CDN. Truly well worth the money. It is easy to use, nice audio with the front speaker, and the basic functions perform very well. The DSP is good for a rig at this price and the front buttons are easy to use. This rig has FSK for RTTY also,many basic rigs require AFSK. I have always been a Yaesu man, but this radio has sold me on ICOM. A nice basic radio for any Ham.
KO3D Rating: 4/5 Oct 21, 2011 13:02 Send this review to a friend
Good basic rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I really like this radio. It shouldn't be compared to a $2000 rig but does a great job for a reasonable price. It is solidly constructed and I have worked 33 countries and 23 states on it in a couple of months. Everyone says it has great audio. The reason I didn't give it a 5 is due to the fact that the noise blanker does nothing at all. I have read this is a problem with this rig and not just my unit. My HTX100 eliminates the same noise with its NB when running side by side. Aside from that I am glad I got the rig.
SV2BWM Rating: 3/5 Oct 6, 2011 01:08 Send this review to a friend
Works fine, but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It has some issues that Icom should have taken care of such as: no sound monitor, no FM modulation, the DSP is optional but it doesn't make any great difference to noise, the voice synth is almost non audible, the carrying handles are optional, the receiver's AGC has no slow/fast control especially for SSB and it is set too fast, the receiver's RF gain is also set too high so it gets very noisy and the audio output lacks mid frequencies...I also installed the Kiwi R75 6KHz filter and it works fine for AM & ESSB, but only for RX. The display has big numbers! Anyway, I am pleased but not satisfied completely with Icom's toy and I think that it is slightly overpriced. So, I think it is good only for portable operations and not for base ones...
+73's de SV2BWM
VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2011 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Great For The Price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had mine for approx. a year and with the help of my BHI NEIM1031 Noise Eliminating In-Line Module, it sure works great with the help of my High Sierra HS-1800/Pro up on a 20ft mast along side the 4-plex.
VU2CDP Rating: 4/5 Sep 25, 2011 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Good no-frills radio for beginners & casual HF ops  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 718 was my first HF radio and continues to be the primary radio. However, I have had experiences with other radios lately (FT 950, K3 etc.) and I have come to realise its shortcomings.
It's great for a beginner but as your operating skills advance you might invest in something that suits your operating requirements better. The 718 has limited options for enhancing its performance. The DSP is quite useless and there is no AGC control. I have an Inrad 250Hz filter installed but I can't add any more unless I install the W4RT board. I have used this radio in a few contests. During crowded band condx in a phone contest, the front end simply collapsed. I was continuously riding the gain trying to pick signals out and discern call-signs. If you wish to extract more performance from this radio, you are limited by the choice of options. For the price of the add-ons, it is better to buy a radio with additional features that are built-in. It does not have 6mts and no FM on 10. But the build quality is solid and it doesn't heat up even on running 100w. The ergonomics are quite good and the display is excellent.

It was not marketed as a contest-grade radio or a do-it-all radio. A no-frills radio for beginners or casual HF operators, the 718 does not disappoint if you are one of these. For doing what it was meant to do, it deserves a 4.
IW0GVG Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2011 05:27 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: months
Good radio!

W7KKK Rating: 3/5 Aug 1, 2011 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Good Starter Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these recently to try it out just getting back on the air.
Overall a good little rig and easy to operate. But it's just a very basic radio even with the DSP module and it's not that great.
If you intend to operate CW you are almost certainly going to want a filter however.
And there is only one filter slot which can be a problem for some later on.
Yes you could go the "one board" unit from W4RT to get two good filters but that's currently $249.
Adding that price to the current price of a new IC-718 of $639 and you are at $888.
I am sorry but for that price you can purchase something like the Yaesu FT-450D and have a much better radio to start out with.
Just my thoughts.
KG4LLQ Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2011 05:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent "Starter" Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 718 for over 10 years and use it as my primary transceiver. I primarily operate CW. I bought a LogiKit SCAF-1 Filter which works great to filter near-by signals. The 718 is what it is and was designed to be: An inexpensive, dependable "starter" rig. Although it lacks many of the sophisticated features found on newer rigs, it is a great buy. I am "stuck" in the 1960s & 1970s and own three Heathkit rigs: HW-8, HW-16 & HW-101. In my opinion nothing can compare with the audio from my HW-101 (both xmt and rcv) so I am prejudiced against these modern "plug & play" rigs. So there you have it!