Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Triton 1 Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Triton 1
Ten-Tec Triton 1 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $519.00
Description: 80-10M SSB/CW 50W

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Triton 1.

WA4THR Rating: 4/5 Aug 16, 2011 04:32 Send this review to a friend
Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this radio back in the mid '70's when it was still fairly new and I still have it. When it was manufactured it was an absolutely amazing radio and at the cutting edge of technology. I was upgrading from a National NCX-3 at the time and in comparison the Triton was all solid state, had wonderful QSK which almost nobody else had, incorporated a very good CW filter, had RIT, no-tune finals, automatic USB/LSB selection, and could even tune WWV. Relative to today's radios it still performs well, and has a quiet receiver that few PLL-based radios can match. However, it does have a slight drift...much better than the Tube type radios of the day, but noticeable in a digital environment. That's the only reason for the 4 rating in this modern comparison. This radio is still in storage in my the shack as a backup and I recently pulled it out to test it. It came right up and performed like it did when I used it to work DXCC on only 50w. Amazing.

WB0CFF Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2011 08:00 Send this review to a friend
Surprising  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was a botched CB conversion that I bought as a tech special on an on-line auction site. It was very easy to work on and restore to full use. The finals were blown thanks to some weird mods. I backed out the mods and with some advice from the service guys at Ten Tec, I purchased a pair of finals from RF parts and got back it back on the air. Given the age and the technology of the time, I have been pleasantly surprised by this rig.