Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/PodCasts on ham radio | ARRL Operating Manual Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL Operating Manual
ARRL Operating Manual Reviews: 8 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $25
Description: Over 400 pages loaded with useful information for every Amateur Radio operator.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/catalog/index.php3?category=Help+for+Beginners

You can write your own review of the ARRL Operating Manual.

OZ71H Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2013 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Best primer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the book every new Ham should get.

After reading it you will know the ins and outs of Ham radio and be able to make educated decisions on where you want to go next and on what equipment you should purchase.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2006 03:28 Send this review to a friend
Great resource  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am a ham for over 15 years and still this book is a great resource for me. Every newby and all those non CW upgraded folks should read this before transmitting on Shortwave...

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2006 07:17 Send this review to a friend
Good reference book  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up an older edition (1991 I think) about 10 years ago for $1 at a library book sale. Best Dollar I ever spent. This is a great reference book that covers everything you need to know about amateur radio, operating, awards, etc. Can't comment on the newer editions, but for the 1991 version-"I'll buy that for a dollar!"

K4IDX Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2005 13:02 Send this review to a friend
Invaluable  Time owned: more than 12 months
While most of us are familiar with the basic operating principles, I highly recommend this piece of literature for the extras it carries within! I use it for country prefix ID, to see other provinces in foreign countries, counties listings, Q signals, azimuthal maps and more. I have many other ARRL and RSGB books, but this one is by far the one I open the most often.

G0SLQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2004 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Yes, even in the UK!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an old copy of ARRL Operating Manual from when I was active many years ago. I'm now back in radioland, and this will be my priority purchase.

Priamrily aimed at the US market, there is more than enough general interest to any amateur operator, - it puts our own society (RSGB) to shame, although that is not deriding the RSGB, but commenting on the sheer size as well as the effort and information crammed in - I got interested no only in stuff I wasn't interested in, but stuff I'd never heard of!

Although it sounds a cliche, this is really the one book any amateur library should house.

K2GW Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2003 15:06 Send this review to a friend
A Must Have!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a must have for all Hams, whether beginner or experienced! Our hobby is so broad, you can't be an expert in all areas. Interested in something new? Then just read the appropriate chapter in this book and get on the air in a new mode or activity!

Gary, K2GW

NF0J Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2001 20:40 Send this review to a friend
An excellent refresher.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After being off the air since the mid-80s, I picked up the ARRL Operating Manual to get back up to speed. Not only did this book help with that, but it also contains excellent reference material and a very handy separate booklet aptly named Ham Desktop Reference. I'd recommend this book to any and all amateurs or prospective amateurs.

WM5R Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2000 12:59 Send this review to a friend
A "Must-Have"  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over the years, the ARRL Operating Manual has proven to be the single most-useful Amateur Radio book I've ever owned. It should be an indispensible reference text for every Amateur operator.