Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Jetstream JTPS31MB Help

Reviews Summary for Jetstream JTPS31MB
Jetstream JTPS31MB Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: 25A cont. 30A peak switching power supply
More info: http://randl.com

You can write your own review of the Jetstream JTPS31MB.

KK4CUL Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2014 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent size, performance, and quiet.  Time owned: more than 12 months
**PROS:**
* Size and weight: it sits on top of my LDG-IT100 perfectly, which sits on my IC-7200 perfectly, and doesn't really get in the way of anything. Also, when I am running the IC-703+ as my only base radio (no external tuner needed!) it makes an excellent mini base that works well and takes up hardly ANY space on my desk. XYL approved. It is so portable it is very easy to throw in my backpack to take portable when my buddy brings his generator. It takes up hardly any space in my radio bag and doesn't add much weight.

* Simple and effective design: One lighted meter on the front that can easily switch between voltage and current that is controlled by a simple rocker switch, adjustable voltage on the front panel, and one set of heavy duty binding posts on the back. This keeps things simple to hook up, clutter free, and is easy to use. I suppose separate volt and amp meters could be nice, but that would require a larger power supply or smaller meters. I like how it is.

* Performance: I enjoy the variable voltage and find the front panel voltage meter is optimistic by only about 1-2% compared to my multimeter idle. With about 18 amp draw, 13.8 volts drops to around 13.5, maybe a bit less if it is a quick swing of current. It is no bench supply, but it runs my HF radio just fine. My IC-7200 is very power hungry, so I run it around 15 volts and this actually gets me about 15 more watts out (sometimes it helps). When I run the IC-703, I run it around 11.5-12 volts since the finals in those sometimes fry and are hard to find. The meter is pretty accurate other than it doesn't reflect the voltage drop under high load. One time, to test the PSU's current capacity, I hooked the IC-7200 into my MFJ-949E's dummy load setting, set the voltage to 15.5 (well within the 13.8 +/- 15%), went to 20 meters SSB and whistled into the mic. I saw a swing of 28 amps and the lights in my room dim, but the PSU didn't trip the protection circuit or turn off. I know it's not best practice (only did it once) to do that and is bad for the finals, but it shows that the PSU can work up to it's ratings, no problem!

**CONS:**
* About the only little cons I can think of are the occasional noise you can hear on 75/80/60 meters. The only time that it is audible is when the fan speed ramps up or down, seems to be PWM noise. But it is not every time the fan changes speed. Also, the inaccuracy of the voltage meter mentioned above. It reads about 1-2% optimistic idle, and probably about 3-4% optimistic under heavy load.

I would probably give it a 9/10, but since it works perfectly for my needs, I will give it a 5. I wonder if I will need another when I get my IC-38A and IC-275H hooked up? For the price, I wouldn't be too upset if I have to.

KJ6MEV Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2014 20:02 Send this review to a friend
3 years strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
reviewed this over three years ago. it's still powering my 100watt HF and now a 500 watt amp sometimes. i'm asking it to do too much now, I know, but it's hanging in there. i'll be upgrading to Jetstream 45 watt soon but will never get rid of this little guy. gonna drive it till the wheels fall off...

W8STU Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2014 09:21 Send this review to a friend
GREAT POWER SUPPLY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
GREETINGS,

I PURCHASED THIS POWER SUPPLY FROM GIGAPARTS. IT WAS DELIVERED TO ME IN THREE DAYS. I WAS SURPRISED TO SEE HOW SMALL THE POWER SUPPLY WAS. I HOOKED UP SEVERAL RADIOS TO THE SUPPLY AND TURNED IT ON. I NOTICED THE FAN CAME ON WHEN FIRST POWERED UP, BUT QUICKLY TURNED OFF. AFTER HOURS OF USE THE FAN NEVER CAME ON. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A 30 AMP POWER SUPPLY IN A SMALL PACKAGE I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS POWER SUPPLY. GREAT VALUE. 73, STU W8STU

K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2014 07:16 Send this review to a friend
Compact/Quiet/Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great little power supply. Now use it for portable and other testing. No issues HF/UHF/VHF. Sweet little supply. Have not experienced any noise like previous reviewer, mine has been silent and no hiccups. Glad he got his noise resolved though.

K0BAS Rating: 3/5 Feb 24, 2014 10:05 Send this review to a friend
NO GOOD FOR HF  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While it might be a decent enough power supply for general use, for serious HF, this power supply fails. I am not sure why others have not heard the switch mode power supply noise in this supply, but it only took a few second to realize this supply is only slightly better then most other switching supplies.

JS did replace the power supply with a second one, but the same noise issues came back. The supply was tried on several different HF radios at many different stations. The result were all the same. This supply has almost the same noise as the cheap industrial type sold for less than half the money. JS allowed a return and a refund.

I know, I am the first person to rate this supply low, and if it was not for the customer service, it would have been less than a 3. I can't honestly recommend this supply to anyone who is planing on using it on HF. It may be fine for other uses, but not for HF.

I don't mean to discredit others, but for me, this was a swing and a miss.

K4ROX Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2014 05:50 Send this review to a friend
Works  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had it for a year and it does the job. Small and Quiet. Use it for HF and VHF. Good value.

K4DV Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2014 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Can't ask for anymore. Very quiet, handles long qso's at 100 watts and don't even get warm enough for fan to run. Excellent price for a nice power supply. Small size too.
Highly recommended

K3CAP Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2014 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Wow, little wonder  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
wow, this little wonder really does the job well.
no noise and the meter is spot on. great deal for the money.

KT4DLB Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2013 09:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Power Supply  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Solid performance all the time and every time. The voltage is always right on the money. Its also a very small and QUIET running power supply. I would buy it again. The price is great too.

VE3TKB Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2013 17:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wonderful little PS. It loafs along at 25 amps with no issues. A lot of Power Supply and performance for
so little dollars. Would highly recommend it.