Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Byonics Micro-Trak RTG (Ready-To-Go) Help

Reviews Summary for Byonics Micro-Trak RTG (Ready-To-Go)
Byonics Micro-Trak RTG (Ready-To-Go) Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $120
Description: 10 watt APRS 144.390 MHz Transmitter and controller designed for easy vehicle installation
More info: http://www.byonics.com/microtrak/mt-rtg.php

You can write your own review of the Byonics Micro-Trak RTG (Ready-To-Go).

KE6TIV Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2013 16:05 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Shipped immediately in bubble wrap.

Works immediately as promised. SmartBeaconing works as advertised.

Wish I had the RTG long ago.

Thanks Byonics!

K5RHD Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2012 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Plug and play APRS!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Not much to say that has not been said. After using an APRS enabled HT and mag-mount antenna on my car for a number of months, I grew tired of forgetting to take the HT with me/leaving the HT in the car when I needed it in the house. This is where the RTG came in. I have it powered off of a 12V power port in my vehicle with an added length of Zip cord to the read wheel well. I opted for the mag-mount offered in the package from Byonics. I also bought the programming cable and null modem so that I could change me tactical info. For now, you may find me on aprs.fi and search for K5RHD-2. I have recently applied for another vanity call so my current call may not be around by the time you read this. Bottom line: if you want fixed APRS in your automobile, this is an easy way to set it and forget it. Would buy others if I had more cars.

VA6TAC Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2012 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Although only in service for < 3 months; I've managed to get up & running with minimal fuss. No fuss actually. I had some questions about how to get my Telemetry to be Human Readable, and Byon answered them promptly. Great customer service.
Easily programmed with a F-F Null Modem cable.
The V3 mag-mount antenna survives highway speeds easily. Just understand this is a transmitter only so you are not receiving anything. This is great for asset management during ham events.

W5LZ Rating: 4/5 Jul 2, 2011 03:38 Send this review to a friend
It's name says it all.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've used one of Byonic's "8000" transmitters for quite a while. Nothing wrong with it except my cobbled together cigar box container. I recently swapped vehicles and have even less room in the new one. So, thought the MT-RTG would be a nice 'touch' to go along with the new car. It was/is! It's smaller, more convenient, simpler (if possible), and does exactly what's claimed for it. Make three connections to it and it's done.
I seldom leave anything exactly as I get it, so did some re-programming. One simple disconnect and connect the programming cable, use the free programming program and that's it. Easy. (Now, if I understood all the programming features, and didn't change something later, I'd say it's 'finished'! Yeah, right. :))

There are enough digipeaters/Igates near me that it will show where I'm at in almost every instance. There are a few spots around here that won't allow it to be heard, but that's normal. Typical usable range (so far) is something like 30 miles. I figure that's as good as it get's here without 10 times the power and antenna height.

Byonics is a company that pays attention to it's customers. Got a suggestion about any of their products? Tell them. You might be surprised, if it's a good suggestion, it'll show up. Got questions? They really DO have answers, so just ask.
Happy camper!
Paul

(About the 4/5 rating thingy. If it 'read' my mind I'd give it a '5'! That's reasonable, ain't it??) ;)

KJ4LAB Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2011 13:03 Send this review to a friend
excellent APRS for vehicle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have experimented with a TinyTrak 4 (TT4) from Byonics before with my HT, enjoyed it, and was looking for an APRS capability (http://www.aprs.org/) on my car that wouldn't tie up another radio. Ordered this along with the GPS2 and V3 antenna (package deal - $190) and it arrived quickly. I had sent Byon an email with my call sign so the RTG arrived with everything programmed already. It truly was "ready to go". His support is terrific and the product couldn't be better.