Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | DX Engineering Active Horizontal Receive Ant ARAH2-P Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering Active Horizontal Receive Ant ARAH2-P
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $330
Description: Rotatable dipole antenna with preamplifier located at antenna.
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-arah3-1p

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering Active Horizontal Receive Ant ARAH2-P.

N6GND Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2011 12:17 Send this review to a friend
Further explanation of problem  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After posting my (poor) review of this antenna here yesterday, I emailed a notice of the review to DX Engineering. Today I received a thoughtful email from Rod Ehrhart stating the following:

1. They would have preferred that I had contacted them again directly about the antenna problem.
2. My review should have noted that the antenna has been mounted on my roof only a few feet from a metal gutter system.
3. The antenna evidently is picking up local broadband noise which is re-radiated by the metal gutter system. Rod suggests and I agree that there could be other such explanations having to do with the antenna location and my house site. I have not been able to nail down the precise cause of my problem to my satisfaction, but I have to admit that I have lots of other radio-related mysteries I can spend joyful time trying to solve.
4. The active unit in the antenna is not a preamplifier, but is an active matching system which improves the performance of the very short dipole to that of a larger antenna.
5. DX Engineering has offered to refund my costs if I will return the antenna to them.

In summary, DX Engineering fully deserves a "5" for its customer service. Unfortunately this particular antenna is not suitable for use at my site (and possibly other sites with similar characteristics). There are very good reviews here of the performance of DX Engineering active vertical antennas and antenna arrays, but previous to my review, none on the active horizontal antenna. The available literature on the horizontal antenna did not alert me to the possibility that the antenna might not work for me.