Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG-UVD2 Help

Reviews Summary for Wouxun KG-UVD2
Wouxun KG-UVD2 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $109.95
Description: Dual-Band Handheld
More info: http://wouxun.us

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UVD2.

WA3LWR Rating: 4/5 Aug 3, 2013 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Decent Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having owned a Quansheng, Baofeng and Wouxun radio, I can compare the three and the manual for the Wouxun has a better manual, but weaker battery, not as much output and significantly weaker transmit audio than the Quansheng. All of them use an Excell Spread sheet type computer programing and have decent receivers.

KG4FQG Rating: 4/5 Aug 4, 2011 12:06 Send this review to a friend
As good as it gets  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Why the 4/5 rating? As noted the manual lacks a lot in translation and layout; the software has no-go issues; and the manual programming mode is tedious. For a voice only FM HT this is the one to get. The supplied antenna outperforms many sent by the 'big guys', the audio on both ends is loud and clear, the battery life superb (with extras so cheap you'll have plenty). And this is one tough radio. I have dropped mine from 6 feet a couple times, belt level many times, and the worst that happened other than scratches was the battery popped off. Pop it back on and it works like new, except the battery fit is looser now though still OK. I watched in horror as a 4X4 post fell on mine, almost breaking the antenna. Severely bent, the antenna worked and the case got another 'war story' indication or two on it. I usually take better care of my radios but this one goes to work with me and replaces the two I used to need- one for Ham and another for music. The "Radio" selection on the menu for FM Broadcast defaults to 76 MHz, but you can program and save ten stations using the DTMF keys so your favorite station is one push away instead of a minute of knob turning.

As noted this is 'dual watch", not true 'dual band" like my old FT530, but in "radio" mode the Ham kills the broadcast so you're never out of touch or scrambling to hear your HT or to turn the jobsite radio down. The audio is room filling and clear. I monitor a quiet repeater so I am hardly ever interrupting the music and I am never out of touch.

Also noted is the wide TX/RX range once opened up, so be careful where you transmit. The key-lock button is convenient and quick to use which helps there. Yes, the reverse SMA layout is different, but this is a more solid layout and the way the 'big guys' should have settled on instead of what they've got now- this is how it should be done

I find that this radio has as good or better image rejection, intermod rejection, and capacity to handle strong signals than many HT's which cost much more. In fact it's better than some the 'big guys' sell as top quality rigs. If your computer will run the software and connect with the HT you can easily share, or work special events. Our local club uses commercial radios to work comms for a annual 3 day festival, and many of us who volunteer to help now have Wouxun HT's, so all we had to do was plug in to get all those frequencies for the festival, then plug in our program when we were done. The event comms used DCS and several of these worked that just fine. Most local repeaters are PL toned and these all work CTCSS well there too. The transmitted audio and signal is better that many of the 'big guys' stuff too.

In the end, if you don't need a fancy 'add-on' like built-in GPS/APRS or a zillion memories (and let's face it, most of us don't) this little jewel is going to be the death knell for the 'big guys' HT sales. They had also better watch out if Wouxun begins making mobile rigs for the same reason- there is no justifying spending 2 or 3 times as much to get what is essentially an equal radio. I'd rather have three of these than to spend the same thing on one of theirs. I'd cry to trash a $300 radio, but for under $120, well no big loss. And while I might have a radio and one extra battery from them, I've got plenty of extras for this one at a far lower cost. I'll buy more of these, but unless the 'big guys' can make a rig which can compete for the same money, they've lost me as an HT customer. My 'whiz-bang' do everything FT530 is collecting dust now. I'm keeping it but it's lost it's place on the front line where the rubber meets the road.

Buy one of these and you'll understand what all the rave reviews are about.

IK5PWC Rating: 4/5 Aug 3, 2011 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Good radio for the price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this unit after some positive reviews I got from other hams near here: I was seeking for an HT with long-life battery to take it with me almost everytime. My first choice was THF7E altought I don't like very much the "joystick" on the keyboard but it costs almost the double.

So i decided to try the chinese alternative and I'm rather happy about it.
PROs:
- Battery life is really impressive.. I can take the HT on my bag for mote than 15 days before having to recharge
- Price
- Kenwood compatible, so I can use all accessories I've for my THD7.
- Nice Receiver: compared to THD7, it seems to me that signals are more clear
- Desktop battery charger, so I can leave it on my desk and put the HT on recharge when needed.

CONs:
- SMeter is not reliable: you get FULL signal almost everytime.
- The menu structure is not so clear as in other radios and mostly used functions don't have a "quick" set feature (i.e. to enable repeater shift you need to go on the menu remembering the right value).
- there is no jack for power supply input, so if you want to use an external supply you must buy an adapter or build one yourself (but do you really need an external power supply when battery is really long life?)
- The desktop charger becomes quite hot when recharging the battery.
- Manual is not one of the best I've ever read...

If you are ready for a non-standard HT give it a try and will be surprised.

KE7ZEM Rating: 4/5 Jan 23, 2011 18:38 Send this review to a friend
I love it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I paid a total of 155.00 or so for my Wouxon KG-UV2D. that's because I bought the programming cable, the 1700mAh battery, tripple A battery pack, and the femail SMA-SMA connector.. Price for just the radio which comes with free downloadable software, manual, radio, 1300mAh battery, charger, beltclip and leash is 109.95 from wouxon.us. The only other HT I have to compare it too is the Yaesu VX-170 submersible 2m only I bought for 135.00 which included the radio, the charger, battery, and manual. the manual (wouxon) is hard to understand at times because the english words were translated from the original chinese. It's much easier to program with the software, it took me a while to figure it out but once you do, you can save all of the settings and frequencies into your computer and download them anytime!! I'm very experienced with programming my 3 Yaesu radios without software over my 2 yrs as being a Ham. back to the Wouxon, Pro's: dual display, FM radio, small, tough made unit, great stock antenna, LED light!, great signal and great audio from stock speaker and mic (even the speaker mic, easy to navigate, it's just a great radio I know I'm leaving out some more great features, look it up on (google) wouxon.us. Con's: SMA setup is oposite from most other brands, so to add additional HT antenna's or an SMA to 239 adapter you have to buy the SMA adapter for $5.50, the back light doesn't stay on long enough, once programmed by computer, your stuck, unless you reset the entire radio and start from scratch. Manual hard to under stand especialy for beginners not used to programming other radio's. Overall, alot of friends of mine on our local repeater have one and are talking about them, some search and rescue teams are talking about them, the price, i cant believe the price. now I want the 2m 1.25m dual band, all accessories I bought will fit, (except the after market antenna's I use with it) as well. One last thing, I thought it was capable of showing only vhf on channel A, and uhf on channel B. And any variation there of. When I Program 40 frequencies, they are displayed in both A and B, Whic Ed from Wouxon.us explained to me that it has one VFO, and that is why.
Richard K7ZEM

KJ4YS Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2011 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Very nice HT for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased this HT from wouxun.us (see my brief customer service review in the Company Reviews forum). Given the price, this is an excellent dual-band HT with extended receive. I find the receive audio to be robust, the features of the radio to be very adequate for a basic HT. The radio does not have a lot of bells and whistles but I was not looking for that in a basic, budget-priced rig. Programming was easy, given the directions included in the package. The manual should be read carefully, as some terminology isn't the usual and customary 'ham-speak' but for the most part the instructions are clear enough. I recommend that anyone interested in this radio first do some research and reading (many reviews on this and other fora) should make clear the features available in this HT (and, conversely, the things this radio doesn't do). For an excellent dual-band HT with basic features, at a reasonable price, I would recommend this HT.