Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Clocks | Chelsea radio room clock Help

Reviews Summary for Chelsea radio room clock
Chelsea radio room clock Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $200
Description: The quintessential radio shack timekeeper of the Coast Guard, Navy, Merchant
Marine, for both shipboard as well as shore station. Special dial indicating
internationally observed silent periods on 500khz distress/calling frequency.
More info: http://chelseaclock.com

You can write your own review of the Chelsea radio room clock.

WC3O Rating: 4/5 Mar 17, 2014 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Nice clock. Keeps good time. I wish the housing was a little nicer. It is just black plastic. To set the time there is no adjustment on the back. You need to remove the clock face plate to access the time adjust knob. I thought those two items could be improved. Other than that, nice clock, keeps accurate time. Looks great in the shack.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2012 18:54 Send this review to a friend
History Revisited  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was fortunate to have received this Chelsea radio room masterpiece from my staff upon the occasion of my retirement in January. It brought to mind long nights in an US Army radio shelter running encrypted RTTY nets over 40 years ago (I know, it's a maritime clock, but the history is there....) There is a real sense of history in this precision device, and I feel fortunate indeed to have it here in my ham radio shack.

KD6HUC Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2011 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Museum piece  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was a gift to the radio room aboard the Lightship Columbia(WLV-604).Of course there was a perfect spot to mount it as there was once one on the boat before it was decommissioned and some scoundrel made off with it! The Lightship radio room is now active with the callsign W7BU and it is great to have such a fine piece of radio history in the shack again in it's rightful location! I am bestowed with the honor of winding it every Tuesday as that's the day I operate. Visitors to Astoria Oregon are welcome to come take a gander for yourself. it's located at 1792 Marine Drive in Astoria Oregon. Just look for the old boat that has Columbia in big white letters tied to the dock:)

KE7TPA Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2011 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Beloved time keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having spent 20 years in the Coast Guard as a radioman, this clock represents all the fond memories of the countless hours monitoring 500 khz......waiting to hear the call...SOS. In fact one evening on watch at NMW (Radio station Astoria, Oregon) I was the 500 khz op when a small Coast Guard vessel had taken a wave at the mouth of the Columbia river, and capsized, trapping 3 crewman inside as it remained afloat for several hours. I sent a DDD SOS right at the end of the silent period, using this clock to time the beginning of my message to all mariners. The 3 minute periods between 15-18 and 45-48 were to remind the operator to observe complete silence and listen for the faint SOS. We sometimes forgot, and if we did, someone always reminded us with a friendly "SP". Since leaving the Coast Guard, I have been on the lookout for a nice specimen for my shack. I finally found one, and will cherish it more than any other piece of gear in my shack. These pop up from time to time in varying states of condition. Chelsea will restore any of their clocks, but it can be quite expensive to re-silver a dial and rebuild the clock mechanism. An alternative is to buy one of their quartz versions at just under $200. This version has the green silent periods for the 2182khz international distress frequency as well. For me this is the only clock I will maintain in my shack. You have to wind her once a week, but she keeps pretty darn good time and with a WWV time tick at the beginning of my "watch", she's on the money. Forget the cheap imitations, get the real deal and search for one these gems. You will love it. 73 John/KE7TPA