Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver
Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver Reviews: 103 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$899.00
Description: 160-6 Meter Base/Mobile/Portable Transceiver.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=870B3CA7CFCB61E6A599B0EFEA2217E4&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver.

K0DXV Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2014 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Goodness in a small package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the FT-450D on a whim. I sold a bunch of equipment and the ham account was pretty flush. I just went looking for something that might be fun to try out and that might make a good portable rig. So, with the current Yaesu rebate, I picked one up from HRO (Thanks guys, your service is always the best).

I read through the entire manual and came away impressed with all the features it had. It's a big radio in a really small package. I tried out all the features just to see how they work. Well, they worked great. CW filtering worked just fine. Noise reduction on the lower bands - nice. Bandwidth adjustment - beautiful. If I have strong signal with good audio I can open it up and get some real HiFi. On a Noisey, crowded band, I can tighten-up and pick up the best bandwidth for good copy.

The display is pretty nice for an entry level radio. Different, clear, and easy to read. All the various settings are plainly visible.

The antenna tuner is very nice. Fast, quiet and gets the job done.

Today I worked one DX contact after another with just the FT-450D's 100 watts into a dipole. I tuned around 20 in the middle of a contest. This is a real test of any receiver and FT-450D didn't fall apart. In fact, I found it quite satisfactory.

I have a couple of mid to high end radios and they are great feats of engineering. I am, however, very impressed with what Yaesu has accomplished in building a compact, low priced, full-featured transceiver. I won't even call it an entry level radio. There's nothing "entry level" about it's feature set.

If you're looking for something to start with, this is a great choice. If you're looking for light portability this is just the thing.

If you don't like buttons and knobs that do different things depending on how you adjust them and dislike having to wade through menus to get to various settings, then this is probably not the radio for you.

Somewhere around 25 years ago I had a renewed interest in amateur radio and a very limited budget. I bought an FT-840. At the time it was a no-brainer choice. The FT-450D is really the FT-840 grown up for the 21st century. Yaesu has always had a way with compact transceivers that work well. The FT-890 and the FT-600 are some other fine examples.

There just isn't anything on the market today that compares to the FT-450D. So, as someone who has owned just about everything through buying, selling in trading for the past 30 years, the FT-450D is a keeper!

WB6OUE Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2014 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Best bang for the buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
All I can do is compare my 450D to my other two HF rigs. I have a Collins KWM2A, Icom IC730, and FT450D
During normal conditions I can hear the same on all three transceivers, unless condition get bad with high noise, then the 450D with its "digital" filters does make a difference. Considering the FT450D being a all mode radio, you can not beat it for the price.
My favorite is the KWM2A but when I get tired of loading and tuning, it is much easier to switch over to the FT450D, push a couple buttons and you're good to go.

N3TGY Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2014 14:54 Send this review to a friend
Amazing radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I gave this radio a 5 because of the value and performance of this radio. I bought this radio simply for a field/backup radio but it has made it from my field box to my bench more and more. I've had it for 2 years and it just amazes me how fun it is. I recommend this radio (in my humble opinion) for a beginner as well as an advanced operator that has been away from the hobby for a spell. The receiver is amazing! it's I.F. DSP is excellent with the contour control pulling in weak inaudible stations up to a comfortable level in noisy conditions, and having the attenuation on but still able to use the preamp (cutting out the background noise) while enhancing the signal. it's great for General coverage - because it does not rely on the ATU to bring the signals up. and it seems to do well on transmitting as well- I've worked plenty of DX with it ( of course the Antenna is the most important piece of gear whether you build 'em or buy 'em. To new Hams : build your antenna's you'll be glad you did! Anyway this radio will do the job - in it's price class it will prove very difficult to beat!

W8NWN Rating: 4/5 Jul 9, 2014 00:03 Send this review to a friend
HARD TO BEAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a radio that you won't forget! For the price, its very hard, if not impossible to beat! There is also NOTHING to buy that you have to open up the case for. Sit it on your desk and forget it! Just use it.

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2014 02:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
In my opinion If I had to choose just one radio, it would be the 450D, real value for money/performance
Excellent cw performannce with the contour peaking facility and excellent ssb using the Yaesu MD100 desk mic with equaliser off.
I use it mainly for outdoor use and don't have any problems.
I had it updated to use on 60m and the internal atu update which has increased substantially the matching range.

KF5PWF Rating: 4/5 Jul 7, 2014 09:44 Send this review to a friend
Not recommended for outdoor use  Time owned: more than 12 months
The radio is a great for indoor use but outdoors on a sunny day it is very hard to see the screen. I could not see that I accidently turned off the auto tuner and hit the transmit key to hear a beep and disaster. This was my fault not the 450. After it comes back from Yaesu It will still be my mobile and portable radio.

M6RSY Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2014 05:55 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic first rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After sorting out my own personal QRM (man-made static) issues at home, I took my Yaesu FT-450D on a field trip to a local park. Connected and tuned it with a SuperAntenna MP1 and then started on the 40 meter band.

Was very impressed by the sensitivity of the radio, and used the DSP features to extract weak signals and easily tweak the auto-notch for the very strong ones.

Made six QSOs in five countries on 50 watts on 40, 20, and 17 meters and got good feedback coming from the UK.

Definitely happy and the form factor is small enough that I can carry it in a bag to the car or potentially even as a flight carry-on device.

I bought the radio used from a local radio shop.... Felt very lucky that I got it for a very nice price!

XE1GXG Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2014 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Decent rig for the casual op  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The selectivity and DSP of this little radio not bad at all. As a CW op and QRPer I can say that performance is decent. Gentle tweaking of IF passband and judicious use of the other DSP parametres make for fine performance in all but the most QRM condx. Small, easy to read, and runs cool. Works nicely into a resonant antenna system so ATU touches up what my L ASMU leaves to do. Easy interface to digimodes with HB kit. Buen equipo, buen precio, buena inversion...72

KC5ONZ Rating: 4/5 May 31, 2014 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my first HF radio. I have found this to be a very good radio that is easy to operate. The internal tuner is OK if your antenna is under 2.0:1 SWR. Once I added an LDG tuner I have use the radio on all bands with good success.

KG4UHV Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2014 12:10 Send this review to a friend