Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver
Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver Reviews: 100 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$899.00
Description: 160-6 Meter Base/Mobile/Portable Transceiver.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=870B3CA7CFCB61E6A599B0EFEA2217E4&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver.

W8NWN Rating: 4/5 Jul 9, 2014 00:03 Send this review to a friend
HARD TO BEAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a radio that you won't forget! For the price, its very hard, if not impossible to beat! There is also NOTHING to buy that you have to open up the case for. Sit it on your desk and forget it! Just use it.

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2014 02:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
In my opinion If I had to choose just one radio, it would be the 450D, real value for money/performance
Excellent cw performannce with the contour peaking facility and excellent ssb using the Yaesu MD100 desk mic with equaliser off.
I use it mainly for outdoor use and don't have any problems.
I had it updated to use on 60m and the internal atu update which has increased substantially the matching range.

KF5PWF Rating: 4/5 Jul 7, 2014 09:44 Send this review to a friend
Not recommended for outdoor use  Time owned: more than 12 months
The radio is a great for indoor use but outdoors on a sunny day it is very hard to see the screen. I could not see that I accidently turned off the auto tuner and hit the transmit key to hear a beep and disaster. This was my fault not the 450. After it comes back from Yaesu It will still be my mobile and portable radio.

M6RSY Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2014 05:55 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic first rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After sorting out my own personal QRM (man-made static) issues at home, I took my Yaesu FT-450D on a field trip to a local park. Connected and tuned it with a SuperAntenna MP1 and then started on the 40 meter band.

Was very impressed by the sensitivity of the radio, and used the DSP features to extract weak signals and easily tweak the auto-notch for the very strong ones.

Made six QSOs in five countries on 50 watts on 40, 20, and 17 meters and got good feedback coming from the UK.

Definitely happy and the form factor is small enough that I can carry it in a bag to the car or potentially even as a flight carry-on device.

I bought the radio used from a local radio shop.... Felt very lucky that I got it for a very nice price!

XE1GXG Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2014 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Decent rig for the casual op  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The selectivity and DSP of this little radio not bad at all. As a CW op and QRPer I can say that performance is decent. Gentle tweaking of IF passband and judicious use of the other DSP parametres make for fine performance in all but the most QRM condx. Small, easy to read, and runs cool. Works nicely into a resonant antenna system so ATU touches up what my L ASMU leaves to do. Easy interface to digimodes with HB kit. Buen equipo, buen precio, buena inversion...72

KC5ONZ Rating: 4/5 May 31, 2014 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my first HF radio. I have found this to be a very good radio that is easy to operate. The internal tuner is OK if your antenna is under 2.0:1 SWR. Once I added an LDG tuner I have use the radio on all bands with good success.

KG4UHV Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2014 12:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easy to operate.

W9JY Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2014 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Nice Entry Level HF Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for a little over 2 years now. It fits my needs really well. I'm a casual user on HF. I like to listen mostly. I enjoy rag chewing with friends once in a while. I've also made some PSK31 QSOs using a Signalink USB interface. Compared to other entry level rigs from the Big 4 Japanese companies I think the FT-450D the best deal. It wouldn't be fair to compare it to a high end rig like a K3 or FTDX5000. For what it is, it's a great little radio. I like the way the negative LCD display looks in the dark.

K8AEC Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2014 00:58 Send this review to a friend
FT-450D UPDATE  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using this rig as my primary since June, 2011.
I use HRD to run the rig, so I haven't had the encoder problems everyone else has had. Also, I hear the hum on TX only if the display is dimmed...not a big deal; I always run the dimmer on high. I did have an issue with the finals about a month after I got the rig; I was using a different radio with 100W output on AM and enough RF got through the swith box to fry the finals on the 450, and all this with the 450 turned OFF. Sent to radio back to Cali @ my expense and got a warranty fix.

Otherwise, not a single complaint other than the lack of mic gain settings. Over 150 DXCC with this bad boy and counting!!!

KB1VXP Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2014 14:39 Send this review to a friend
FT 450 D Reciew  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just an all around great HF rig. Good value, relatively easy to use. DSP works well. I recommend this rig to someone who wants to have a quality feature filled radio without having to spend an arm and a leg.