Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-450D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-450D
Yaesu FT-450D Reviews: 147 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$899.00
Description: 160-6 Meter Base/Mobile/Portable Transceiver.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=870B3CA7CFCB61E6A599B0EFEA2217E4&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450D.

W0RUS Rating: 4/5 Jul 3, 2016 19:35 Send this review to a friend
Bang for the buck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With coupons and Daytona discount my cost was $599.00.

The previous concerns prior to mine of fan noise, hum when transmitting appear to have been resolved. The fans idles with no noise when in receive, and during long QSO's it is still quiet.
The hum during transmit due to the display being dimmed has been resolved. During QSO's, I would change the display brightness and had no hum on my transmit signal.

The internal tuner only likes my G5RV be Radiowavz on 40, and 20 meters. The antenna is up 40 feet at one end and slopes down to 30 feet at the other. I'm feeding it with one hundred feet of Cable Experts 1318.
I've read in other reviews that the tuner does not like above 2:1 SWRr and with my antenna it's looking to be true.

Typical of Yaesu is the menu with several options. Keep in mind this rig is almost mobile size so I would say this is the reason.

The internal speaker is quite good for a small rig like this.

One nice touch for me anyway is the headphone jack converts my stereo headphones to mono so no need for an external adapter.

I've gotten through several pile ups the first couple of days on the air with reports of good audio.

The DSP is nothing like my MarkV Field or IC-746, but it does well and helps to pull out signals in the noise.

The receiver however is really close to my IC-718 and IC-746, not saying anyone of the three is better than the other, but they are all close.

My reason for a 4 is as a base radio its small to operate, but Yaesu has put quite a few features into this rig. Easier to operate than a mobile, but ok for everyday base use.
This would shine as a field day, RV, air travel radio.

If your budget is $600.00 dollar range, this rig will give you a lot of bells and whistles that other than its small size will keep you happy when the big radio operators are saying they have this setting or transmit EQ or voice recording, you can say oh yea I've got that!

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2016 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Very Under Rated!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I only work cw. This is my third FT 450D. I wear glasses and use the radio inside and outside. If you use polarized lenses it will be difficult to see the display outside if not impossible. I have the same problem seeing avionics in flight. With regular lenses it isn't a problem. I use the PF key to control cw speed. Again, no problem. The menu is very simple and straight forward compared to other modern rigs. Buy an old radio if you can't handle a menu. The menu allows for a more compact radio. Using this rig side by side a new Kenwood TS-590SG I was able to pull the same weak signals out of the noise and make them perfectly readable. Proper use of the contour control makes a huge difference in readability. I love ham gear and have owned almost every new rig made over the last few years. I could easily keep a 450D as my only rig and be perfectly content. I love the display, the size, the weight, and ergonomics of this little radio. Much easier to take on trips and move from room to room. The newer 450D rigs have a quieter fan than the early ones. For around $500 used this rig should be your first choice as it is truly a bargain. Keep in mind no matter how much money you spend on rig, there is no "perfect" radio. If I find one, I'll be sure to let you know!!

N6QN Rating: 3/5 Jun 30, 2016 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Adequate: entry-level  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 2 month's use, I'm more than a little disappointed with my FT-450D. A big part of that disappointment stems from my age: at 75 years of age and 58 years licensed, I don't do well with menu-driven radios. The 450's many features require some mastery of those menus, and when you're digging for a signal in the mud you need to be able to remember which function does what. By the time you get it figured out, your contact has moved on. Even though I've made a "cheat sheet," I know I'm not using all (most?) of the rig's features, and likely never will.

My greatest disappointment with the rig is an ability to easily change CW speed (if not weight). I'm constantly going back and forth between 35 and 12 WPM, depending on the condition of the band and the skill of my contact. For this, I need a knob, not a Function. I eventually bought a MFJ-407 keyer (knobs!) and turned off the 450's.

All my CW activity came to a halt anyway, when Yaesu's paddle/keyer cable failed. Flimsy construction. Off to Digi-Key for a replacement.

The 450's built-in antenna tuner, a feature which was important to my purchase, turned out to be essentially useless. I'm starting to believe it won't tune a 50-ohm dummy load. I finally gave up and bought a MFJ-941E tuner, right-angle connectors, and a short jumper cable. Problem solved.

For now, I'm keeping my Yaesu. The receiver seems to do an adequate job, and I'm getting good signal reports. In today's world, it's essentially an entry-level rig, and adequate at that. It's not duffer-friendly, though, and that may well lead to its being traded for something with more knobs and less functions.

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2016 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Simple, yet superb radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned the original FT450, minus the tuner, for several years and was quite happy with it. I sold that radio to a friend, and then acquired an FT-450D several years ago. I also own an FT-950. The FT-950 has more adjustments, and offers more adjustable parameters than does the FT-450D, but I find myself using the FT-450D more and more because of its simplicity of use and its outstanding performance for 90% of my day to day operation. I'm not a DX hound, and abhor the confusion and bedlam of contests, and don't need the "contest" quality, $3000 radios. For general ragchewing, casual CW, and ease of use, including portable, I find the FT-450D very close to an ideal radio for me. I'm even considering trading my perfect FT-950 for one of the soon to be available Yaesu FT-891 mobile radios. In the meantime, after 45 years on HF and having owned dozens of HF transceivers of all brands, the small, portable FT-450D with the 300hz CW filter, and other enhancements over the original FT-450, fits my needs very, very well. Both of my FT-450 models have been totally trouble free for the past 5 years. It's a darn good little radio.

W0PP Rating: 4/5 May 18, 2016 05:45 Send this review to a friend
dim display  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned Yaesu products since the early 80's starting with a FT-101ZD system and have had the FT-897D and still have an FT-857D for mobile so purchased the FT-450D in April 2016 to have as a portable for NPOTA. Used it the first time at Wilson's Creek National Battlefield on May 16. The display is so dim you have to have something to cover the radio even if you aren't in direct sunlight in order to see it. All the other Yaesu radio's I've owned have nice bright displays that can be seen in bright light. Also the internal tuner is pretty weak, antennas that my Kenwood TS-590S will match totally flat this one won't even try. Still all in all it's a great radio for the price. 4 stars because of those two items.

W9WQA Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2016 20:19 Send this review to a friend
i like the look a d solid feel of the 450  Time owned: more than 12 months
i added a big solid aluminum tuning knob, nice spin feel. added an rca jack for amp keying.
disabled the am attn for bcst am.
mounted a rad shack dsp on top for added dsp hetrodynes on 40.

ONE complaint; i cannot get mem groups to work.
cannot select a group then a mem within that grp??
need help here.
i also did major work to get fc40 ext tuner to work right, and on most bands with one long wire. it needs special shielding on control cable and other mods.
id like a ez rf pwr out control full time.not menu select. i cant compare with others.

W1SPV Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2016 11:22 Send this review to a friend
new ham review  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first hf tranceiver. I have spent the last year installing antennas and learning to use the 450d. Every time I encountered a problem, the device had a way to handle it. The only addition was an LDG YT1200 to extend the tuner capability. I run an 80m loop and a 75m dipole. Ham Radio Deluxe... the free version... allows me an easier method of control than using the menus or dials.
BTW... I used it at field day... and will again this year.

NY7Q Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2016 05:23 Send this review to a friend
excellent transceiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I absolutely do not agree with last poster.
Took my 450d out on my deck in bright sunlight and had no problem seeing the readouts.
READ THE MANUAL AND PLAY WITH THE SETTINGS.
The 450d has many bells and whisles as the bigger and more costlier rigs. The DSP and filter system is second to none....

KD8IIC Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2016 23:23 Send this review to a friend
Best Rig Here.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had nothing but great results using my FT450D. It has the best receiver and DSP I've used. It works FB on pulling out the weak QRP guys. Once you master the adjustments and are flexible using the DSP it's a dream! Not a good rig for you if you won't read the manual, period.
Antenna tuner works well within reason for being built in. Only dislike I have is the fan is a bit too loud and on CW is always cycling up and down.
Other than that; Thanks Yaesu for a Great rig!
VY 73 de n8aft sk ..

WD0BC Rating: 1/5 Apr 23, 2016 21:25 Send this review to a friend
VERY UNHAPPY ....POS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
FIRST OF ALL NOT A BAD "STARTER" IF IT NEVER LEAVES THE SHACK INDOORS ....

HOWEVER IN AN OUTDOOR SETTING THE DISPLAY IS 100% UNREADABLE....TOTAL LOSS....A P O S !

TOTALLY USELESS IN A "FIELD DAY" SETTING.....

IF YOU WANT TO USE AT THE PICK-NICK TABLE YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE A COVER "SHADOW BOX" AND I DON'T KNOW IF THAT WILL MAKE THE DISPLAY READABLE ? ....

ONLY OWNED A MONTH OR TWO AND FIRST FIELD USE TOTAL LOSS....THIS RIG WILL GO AWAY FROM MY SHACK .........

WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT ...YAESU OWES THE HAM COMMUNITY AN APOLOGY ....