Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-450D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-450D
Yaesu FT-450D Reviews: 120 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$899.00
Description: 160-6 Meter Base/Mobile/Portable Transceiver.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=870B3CA7CFCB61E6A599B0EFEA2217E4&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450D.

W4JTB Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2015 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio, especially for the new Ham  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've not been a Ham very long, and this is my first HF rig, so I won't be able to compare much to other radios, but I can tell you how this radio performs for the new guy.

• Easy operation and menu
• Large screen
• Great audio reports
• Small enough to take with you on a quick vacation
• Setting up for digital takes no time at all
• The auto tuner is fantastic, though you're not going to tune an antenna with a very high swr.
• Built in speaker is decent, but headphones help
• No problem working lots of stateside and DX contacts with a simple dipole and 100 or less watts.
• Filters are simple, but work great

This is the perfect rig for a new ham. Once you've learned this radio, you will certainly be ready to move on, if you decide you even want to.

I've really enjoyed it so far, and hope to have years of fun with it.

WU3D Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2015 14:32 Send this review to a friend
aweswome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I did alot of research on this radio. A friend of mine who lives very close to me was selling his 450D so I bought it. Its very nice and the small footprint fits my space to a tee. External speaker is a must. The rig is easy to operate and I will be using it on data by weeks end. Oh, also the 6 meters is a plus ! 100 watts thru out. If you get a chance to buy one, grab it !!

WA7NTL Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2015 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Still Going Strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm a little lazy to write a thorough review, but having owned my FT-450D for 7 plus years, I believe it incumbent upon me to share this real world data with my fellow hams. I have not moved this rig from my shack in all these years, so it hasn't had any abuse. I have to report that I could pass it off as a new rig with a little extra cleaning. It has worked flawlessly and is still going strong. I'm not a contester, just an old world ham who like to read the mail and make a few good QSOs. I also like to work AM in the upper portions of ten meters. The old timers who've been around a while, were not impressed with the audio. But, then again, for AM one is best off to restore an old Globe Chief. I work mostly CW so haven't had a chance to get too many comments on the SSB audio. As with many of the fellow reviewers, economic common sense applies to this rig--there is simply a lot of bang for the buck. The DSP features add value to the receiver. The ARRL reviewer put it well when he said the rig will perform "yeoman duty", which in my opinion is just fine. After 7 years, I'm forced to give it a real thumbs up.

Steve WA7NTL

DL2AKV Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2015 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Good receiver. Transmitter not great for CW.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the 450D for about three weeks now and have been giving it a run for its money.

I was pleasantly surprised by the receiver and the effectiveness of the DSP as well as the noise blanker. If you also ride the RF gain knob, you will have a very enjoyable receiving experience.

Since I do mostly CW I was shocked to find out that the 450D still uses relays to switch to transmit. Loud ones. With all due respect Yaesu: It's 2015. Get with the program, would you?

Unfortunately, it doesn't end there. There is also a very annoying fan that jumps into action EVERY TIME you transmit, independent of your output power level or the actual temperature in the amplifier. This is just gruesome to any CW guy and I suspect that even SSB operators have a chip on their shoulders about that stupid fan.

Headphones make this ordeal bearable, of course, but it's so unnecessary. If it weren't for these two gripes, I would happily give this transceiver a full five points.

NINO Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2015 09:44 Send this review to a friend
first hf rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this rig less than 3 months and i find it to be a just GREAT rig! I held back purchasing because of the noise and encoder issues listed here, but noticed that all those claims were from 2011. My 450 is a joy to operate, the auto tuner does a great job and I have gotten nothing but good reports. If anything could be better, I would say the receive level and speaker could be improved, but an external speaker cured that. This radio is a no brainer for under a grand. Why buy a used, maybe radio when you can have dsp, new technology and a warranty. I would suggest this rig especially for the newer ham (of which I am). Take it out the box, plug it in and start making contacts.

KG4UHV Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2015 18:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Excellent radio for the monetary value. If you are looking for a decent HF radio buy the Ft 450D."From the east to the west Yaesu radios are the best " 73.

KB9MVW Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2015 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Rx is excellent. Audio reports have all been good with the stock mike. Above average features for the price range. I like it better than the yaesu 857d and 897d. Also better rx quality than the Kenwood 2000. Very simple to operate. There is no better radio in this price range.

KE8CQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2015 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the FT450D for use as a portable / backup radio. After researching several radios, I decided that the FT450D for $675 (net of rebates) was hard to beat! I have used this radio side-by-side against my FTDX3000 and TS480 and I am still surprised at how well the receiver works against by other rigs. First, the FT450D is 100W, HF to 6M including 60M and comes with ALL the filters already installed for SSB/CW. For portable operation it is light and weighs in at just over eight pounds. Additionally, it has a built in antenna tuner and lighted buttons for mobile or darker environments such as camping. Frankly, for the price I don't believe it can be beat and I had even considered the FT991 until I saw the $1699 price!!! Um, like I can use the $1000 bucks for a Mosley and rotator thank you very much. So for those new hams on a limited budget, give the FT450D a serious look because the radio works well, has a lot of features, interfaces with HRD CAT, does digital modes, CW, AM, FM, and SSB. I will be using the rig during winter field day in the hills of northern Michigan! Happy New Year and 73's.

N6PET Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2014 11:56 Send this review to a friend
Good Things Come In Small Packages  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As soon as I got my General ticket I started researching for my first HF rig. Read a lot of forums, talked to people on the radio, and picked the brains of the staff of HRO. Majority of them was recommending the Yaesu FT-450D and for a very good reason.

You might not get all the bells and whistles that FTDX5000 or 3000 has but you get all the essential functions you would need for a fraction of the price. Yaesu maintains its superb quality on this radio and I was most impressed with the DSP receive capability of the FT-450D. You will have a lot of room to grow with this radio and its other features I haven't even use yet. The built it ATU was another plus that tuned majority of my bands in a matter of seconds.

Two things happen when you use the radio. One, you realize more and more how easy and user friendly it is, and secondly; how feature rich it really is packed in such a small enclosure. I was on a budget purchasing my first HF. I needed to consider the cost also for antenna, coax, power supply, mast, ATU, etc. This radio fits the bill without compromise.

I strongly recommend the FT-450D to new comers in the hobby, mobile applications, or even your main rig for your shack, which I'm using it for. I am very happy with my purchase and this is one investment I will never regret.

EB5GGB Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2014 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Solid, reliable and easy to use transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Bought this transceiver from SCATTER-RADIO (www.scatter.es), to whom I want to thank the professionalism and good advice of his manager Fernando. This dealer is a must for the Ham-radio enthusiast. Visit their web and you will find the best offers on the market.

It's a very solid, reliable and easy to use transceiver. I use it always on base station, and, with my reasonably resonant antennas, the internal tuner can find a match in 2 seconds.
In CW it's perfect, with the factory installed 500 and 300 Hz filters, combined with the DSP's Contour and the Shift, I've never regretted not have listened the weak station with signal 0.
But still the most interesting thing is there are NO other options (as filters, tuner…) to buy, as in other equipments with similar price range. Everything you need for serious operation is packed from factory.
Highly recommended !!

73's
Vicent
******************************************************

Compré este equipo en SCATTER-RADIO (www.scatter.es), a quienes agradezco la profesionalidad y buen consejo, sobretodo a su gerente Fernando. Quizás la mejor tienda para el radioaficionado entusiasta en cuanto a fiabilidad, seriedad y por supuesto, excelentes precios.

Un transceptor muy sólido, fiable y muy agradable de utilizar. Lo tengo instalado en base y, con mis antenas que son razonablemente resonantes, el acoplador interno que lleva el equipo acopla en menos de 2 segundos.
En CW es perfecto, con los filtros de 500 y 300 Hz, combinados con el Contour y el Shift, nunca me he he quedado sin escuchar a mi corresponsal, aún con señal 0.
Lo más interesante es que NO hay opciones que añadir, como en otros equipos. Viene todo de serie.
Por sus prestaciones de filtros y por su interesante precio, hay equipo para rato.

Excelente relación calidad-precio y muy recomendable.
73's