Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver
Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver Reviews: 111 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$899.00
Description: 160-6 Meter Base/Mobile/Portable Transceiver.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=870B3CA7CFCB61E6A599B0EFEA2217E4&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver.

EB5GGB Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2014 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Solid, reliable and easy to use transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Bought this transceiver from SCATTER-RADIO (www.scatter.es), to whom I want to thank the professionalism and good advice of his manager Fernando. This dealer is a must for the Ham-radio enthusiast. Visit their web and you will find the best offers on the market.

It's a very solid, reliable and easy to use transceiver. I use it always on base station, and, with my reasonably resonant antennas, the internal tuner can find a match in 2 seconds.
In CW it's perfect, with the factory installed 500 and 300 Hz filters, combined with the DSP's Contour and the Shift, I've never regretted not have listened the weak station with signal 0.
But still the most interesting thing is there are NO other options (as filters, tuner…) to buy, as in other equipments with similar price range. Everything you need for serious operation is packed from factory.
Highly recommended !!

73's
Vicent
******************************************************

Compré este equipo en SCATTER-RADIO (www.scatter.es), a quienes agradezco la profesionalidad y buen consejo, sobretodo a su gerente Fernando. Quizás la mejor tienda para el radioaficionado entusiasta en cuanto a fiabilidad, seriedad y por supuesto, excelentes precios.

Un transceptor muy sólido, fiable y muy agradable de utilizar. Lo tengo instalado en base y, con mis antenas que son razonablemente resonantes, el acoplador interno que lleva el equipo acopla en menos de 2 segundos.
En CW es perfecto, con los filtros de 500 y 300 Hz, combinados con el Contour y el Shift, nunca me he he quedado sin escuchar a mi corresponsal, aún con señal 0.
Lo más interesante es que NO hay opciones que añadir, como en otros equipos. Viene todo de serie.
Por sus prestaciones de filtros y por su interesante precio, hay equipo para rato.

Excelente relación calidad-precio y muy recomendable.
73's
Vicent

EA5IGC Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2014 00:32 Send this review to a friend
Superb value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used a FT-817ND for about 18 months after getting my licence, some of which with an additional linear. I bought the 450D to get full 100W across all HF bands and a better 'user interface' in general. The FT450D has fully complied with those requirements and I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

I generally only do SSB phone with occasional PSK31 - no CW. There are a lot of features of the radio that I don't use and may never use, including: anything to do with CW, the voice recorder (I use the BX-184 voice keyer kit), DSP and noise blanker (I live in an area with S0 base QRM) and I currently don't use the internal tuner (I'm using a G5RV so outside the tunable SWR range).

At the time of purchase this radio is selling for only about 15% more than an FT-817ND. Yes, they are different radios (pedestrian portable vs. base station, VHF/UHF/HF vs. HF only) but overall the FT-450D gives SO much radio for the money. Whilst my 817 does do UHF/VHF, I use my Chinese HT exclusively for those bands due to its convenience.

These days Product Managers read reviews on the interweb so the next section of gripes is for them, not for you, the buyer since they don't detract from my five star rating. The tune button is too easy to hit to toggle the internal tuner out of the circuit, especially being next to the 'F' menu button - with potentially disastrous consequences to the finals. The rotary encoder on the DSP/SEL knob would benefit from some additional mechanical support - it feels like a weak part - particularly because I like to use it a LOT to move around the band quickly. The voice button would be more useful if it acted more like the BX-184 - longer record time and ability to loop playback then listen until interrupted with PTT. I have played with DSP, NB and IPO/ATT without any benefit to me. I'm sure they benefit some people some of the time, but perhaps they could take a less prominent role on the front panel. I would like a control on the front panel to set the output power - setting via the menu is even harder than on the FT-817ND. I don't use the SQL/RF Gain knob at all - it stays wound fully-clockwise.

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2014 18:30 Send this review to a friend
Solid, full featured, compact radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just bought this radio used from another ham, and am very pleased with it. I bought one of the original FT450s without an antenna tuner several years ago and was very pleased with its over all performance, but decided to sell it to a friend to finance a new FT-950. That original FT450 is still going strong. But I wanted a full featured, small radio for portable use and the FT950 is a bit large and heavy for portable use. I have a 10 watt Elecraft K2 for qrp, which can be turned into a 100 watter, but a used FT450D can be had for little more than what I needed for my K2. The FT450D offers the lighted buttons and has a new 300Hz CW filter in addition to the 500Hz of the older Ft450. That makes a big difference in a crowded CW band. Some reviewers have bad mouthed the built in tuner's limited 3:1 SWR tuning ability, but the fact is, only Ten Tec and Eecraft offer built in tuners with a wider range, 10:1. So the more limited range of the Yaesu tuner is right in league with radios offered by other makers, including Icom and Kenwood. My antenna systems consists of a tuned trap vertical, ground mounted with 1000 feet of buried radios, so I rarely need the tuner for that. I also have a 135 foot dipole up 50 feet, fed with balanced feed line. I use an external Palstar tuner for that, so the limited 3:1 capability of the FT450D is not an issue, and I usually keep it disengaged. I find the menu system easy to use and have the CS button programmed for a 10 watt signal so I can tune my Palstar. That is a very neat feature of the radio. No radio is perfect, but the little FT450D has a good receiver, tho not as selective as my Elecraft, but it has a good DSP system that is effective and easy to use. I get good reports on transmit audio quality with the stock hand mike, but also have a Yaesu desk mike that will probably get some use with it also. So for the money, the FT450D is a real bargain radio, and especially now that Yaesu has cut the price to $699. They undoubtedly are going to release a new radio to replace it, but I'm happy with the FT450D, especially for what I paid for it. I'm sure what ever replaces it will be a nice unit too, but that will cost a lot more money, After 45 years on HF, I pretty well know what I need, and the little FT-450D has some nice improvements over the original model and takes care of my needs. I'm primarily just a rag chewer. It's a good, solid little radio, and there is nothing else to buy to take advantage of what the radio can do. For that and its ease of operation, I rate it a 5. Though I have only had this radio a short time, I did use the original FT450 for several years, so I feel I have had enough experience to give it an honest appraisal of the newer FT450D.

N8KR Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2014 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just picked up an FT-450D. I know of a lot of hams who use them and give them good marks. I was impressed with the quality of the receiver and the basic filters. I spend most of my time on CW and switching between the stock 300 and 500 hz filters was a simple process . . . As was switching in the dsp. The filters are good and the roofing filter, which is also stock, probably added to the nice sensitivity of the receiver. I did find the menus difficult without having to read the manual each time I wanted to find something . . . Too many basic items in the menu that could be on the front panel. The cw port on the front is a poor choice by Yaesu as there was NONE on the rear. The antenna tuner was unacceptable. I travel with dipoles cut to 20 and 40 and my Kenwood 570, 590, and old 440 and 450 had no problems tuning to all bands from 10-40. The Yaesu 450D was unable to tune them except for 20 and 40. I was surprised that it wouldn't even tune my 40 dipole on 15 meters. So, if you're needing flexibility dependant on the tuner, this is NOT the radio for you. If you're looking for an inexpensive radio with many features and you have fairly resonant antennas, then this is a great little radio.

PY1WDS Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2014 04:39 Send this review to a friend
STILL THE SAME.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I RECEIVED MY 0KM FT450D, FROM U.S.A., AS EVEN, THE BEST IN ITS CLASS.
I HAVE THE SAME OPINION AS BEFORE, THE BEST.
73, TOM.

G0APM Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2014 17:50 Send this review to a friend
Super value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
More than impressed. Looking for something to replace my FT-897 for portable this seemed to fit in nicely. Obviously no batteries like FT-897 (poor anyway) or VHF/UHF (didn't use) therefore it's size and included ATU is attractive. The current price also makes it a good prospect.

The stock MH-31 dynamic mic is poor. There's plenty of ideas regarding mods, I have my own ideas and mod. Please Yaesu do something about that. EQ is adjustable on the rig but seems too extreme. Mic gain is adjustable in steps rather than continuous. Once you get over these hurdles to your personal satisfaction you will be happy (if you have the time).

One thing I note with my example is unusually good AM. Good depth of modulation noted and excellent reports. The TX profile is fairly narrow at about 2.4kHz for SSB (not a bad thing) and seems quite resistant to splatter.

I don't want to write a story but otherwise very good. Realistic S meter readings noted (with APO ON) and operation on the 60 metre band (5MHz) has produced excellent results.

I'm no CW operator so can't comment here (although others have) but noise reduction, filtering and adjacent strong signal handling seems very good indeed.

Seems quite a bargain.

IT9AHH Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2014 22:20 Send this review to a friend
compact and state of the art  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have this rig from a few months.Remember in order to best use your ft 450d must be dosed RF gain, ipo,dnr,contour and if width. The first day i tuned these commands in bulk or at peak then with patience i read the user manual and..... puff what a treat!i just do only cw, and this rtx is the state of the art.the 450d dsp has the same underlying software of the ft 2000.excellent sensitivity and selectivity and it isn't true that the roofing is a joke it works wy well.mine is the latest production with the
latest software.in short reading the manual today i pull out from the mud any weak signal absolutely clean and clear even though 1khz close to a big gun with an s9++. Very usefull in this the use of if shift and if width down to 500 and 300 hz.

VK2QE Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2014 00:53 Send this review to a friend
value for money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
good rig,, simple to use and high quality,, have owned a IC718 and this is much better,,

K0DXV Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2014 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Goodness in a small package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the FT-450D on a whim. I sold a bunch of equipment and the ham account was pretty flush. I just went looking for something that might be fun to try out and that might make a good portable rig. So, with the current Yaesu rebate, I picked one up from HRO (Thanks guys, your service is always the best).

I read through the entire manual and came away impressed with all the features it had. It's a big radio in a really small package. I tried out all the features just to see how they work. Well, they worked great. CW filtering worked just fine. Noise reduction on the lower bands - nice. Bandwidth adjustment - beautiful. If I have strong signal with good audio I can open it up and get some real HiFi. On a Noisey, crowded band, I can tighten-up and pick up the best bandwidth for good copy.

The display is pretty nice for an entry level radio. Different, clear, and easy to read. All the various settings are plainly visible.

The antenna tuner is very nice. Fast, quiet and gets the job done.

Today I worked one DX contact after another with just the FT-450D's 100 watts into a dipole. I tuned around 20 in the middle of a contest. This is a real test of any receiver and FT-450D didn't fall apart. In fact, I found it quite satisfactory.

I have a couple of mid to high end radios and they are great feats of engineering. I am, however, very impressed with what Yaesu has accomplished in building a compact, low priced, full-featured transceiver. I won't even call it an entry level radio. There's nothing "entry level" about it's feature set.

If you're looking for something to start with, this is a great choice. If you're looking for light portability this is just the thing.

If you don't like buttons and knobs that do different things depending on how you adjust them and dislike having to wade through menus to get to various settings, then this is probably not the radio for you.

Somewhere around 25 years ago I had a renewed interest in amateur radio and a very limited budget. I bought an FT-840. At the time it was a no-brainer choice. The FT-450D is really the FT-840 grown up for the 21st century. Yaesu has always had a way with compact transceivers that work well. The FT-890 and the FT-600 are some other fine examples.

There just isn't anything on the market today that compares to the FT-450D. So, as someone who has owned just about everything through buying, selling in trading for the past 30 years, the FT-450D is a keeper!

WB6OUE Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2014 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Best bang for the buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
All I can do is compare my 450D to my other two HF rigs. I have a Collins KWM2A, Icom IC730, and FT450D
During normal conditions I can hear the same on all three transceivers, unless condition get bad with high noise, then the 450D with its "digital" filters does make a difference. Considering the FT450D being a all mode radio, you can not beat it for the price.
My favorite is the KWM2A but when I get tired of loading and tuning, it is much easier to switch over to the FT450D, push a couple buttons and you're good to go.