Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-450D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-450D
Yaesu FT-450D Reviews: 159 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$899.00
Description: 160-6 Meter Base/Mobile/Portable Transceiver.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=870B3CA7CFCB61E6A599B0EFEA2217E4&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450D.

WD8TA Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2017 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this little rig. The display is massive and incredibly visible from all angles. I have an 897D and an ATAS-120. The 897D cannot find a tune point in my car on 20/17 but the 450D tuned it instantly and I was working all over the US from my driveway. I bought it mainly for a 6m rig to replace my RCI-5054 but love it mobile. Personally I think it outperforms my 897D which has been relegated to PSK usage. It's nice to be able to see the big display in a vehicle on this rig.

W8NOR Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2017 18:25 Send this review to a friend
Great little rig but with limitations.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this rig specifically as a backup to my FT-DX1200 and to be used on vacation or in the back yard. Most reviewers agree that there are a few flaws, but for the price you can hardly do much better. The relays and fan are noisy, the controls are not what I'm used to from the bigger sibling, and the speaker isn't great. The tuning knob is small and the tuning not as smooth as in the 1200. But this little guy/gal performs very well and is doing what I wanted in a 2nd rig. The receiver performs very close to the FT-DX1200 and the DSP works very well.

I have used it primarily on FT8 over the last few weeks and it works great. Transmit audio appears to be good and the interface to my laptop and Signalink is solid. I have decided to use this in my shack as the primary digital transceiver and use the FT-DX1200 for CW.

The FT-450D works well on CW but the relay is too noisy for QSK and access to CW speed control is a little awkward but adequate. I suggest an external keyer if you work mostly CW. And an external speaker or headphones are helpful.

This a great product with Yaesu quality and performance but be aware of the flaws if you want this to be anything other than a starter rig or a backup. I hope that Yaesu will update firmware with improvements such as reducing the intermittent annoying fan noise. On the hardware side they need to have a quieter transmit relay. Still, this rig deserves a 5.

W0XX Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2017 05:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for the Price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the 450/450D on and off for some time. most of the nits I see on the radio are mostly ergonomic and the others could be 1 in 100 radios having an issue which is common with all manufacturers. For the money, pretty decent performance for 160-6 meters, and with a few decent features (NR, Tuner, Preamp, etc.).

I know it is a bit compact and many, like myself, wish it were a bit bigger with a couple more controls (knobs) on the front panel.

All in all, for $500-575 for a really clean D version, I don't think you are doing too bad, especially when you consider the foot print, portability and band coverage.

NY7Q Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2017 15:34 Send this review to a friend
excellent transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
just purchased my 4th new one. I really love the rig. with a well built dipole or beam, they work greater than great.

N4WRE Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2017 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Little Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an amazing little rig. I am reviewing this rig not comparing it to anything. It is packed with features that more expensive rigs have as options. This radio just performs. I have used it everyday for a couple of weeks on all modes and it is great. The only negative thing for me is the transmit audio. You really don't have a lot of options with it. Don't miss understand me it has good audio just not great audio. The receive is great and the filters work as they should. The CAT software is free and works great with the SCU 17.Digital modes are a snap with this setup. I don't think there is anything that compares in this price range.Try one for yourself you cant help but like it. This of course is just my opinion.

N4WRE Marty

WB8YQJ Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2017 09:56 Send this review to a friend
Great value in a standalone 160-6m all mode transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months

I bought the FT450D in May 2016 as the 100 watt transmitter side for my SDRPlay receiver and as a backup for my fixed station HF. I was hooked by the Hamvention price of $599 online. There was a short wait from GGParts. The original SDRPlay had been marked down to $125 at HRO when the RSP2 was announced.

The radio has proven to be a very desirable addition to the hamshack along side of my FT2000 flagship HF. After some time using it, I find the FT450D to be greatly better than most entry level standalone HF rigs and comparable or better than many mid priced transceivers when used with an external SDR such as SDRPlay or Afedri.

Although the footprint is small, the receive current draw should be lower for mobile operation and is a little high for portable.

There is ample AF Gain and I don't hear the fan running at all on receive.

The fan increases speed on transmit and I do hear the air moving but no fan buzz.

This is a super CW radio and a good phone radio.

The receiver AGC is excellent. In fact, it is a great compliment to this rig that it sounds so much like analog, digital artifacts are surprisingly absent. The crystal filter is 2.7Khz on tx/rx. Using a computer soundcard and equalization you can find some great fidelity on receive that you would never guess was present when using the internal speaker or a small portable speaker.

I use a preamplified D104 on phone transmit to maximize the 2.7 khz transmit bandwidth available. The modular microphone jack is not the easiest to wire but the included hand microphone really needs to be better for fixed station use.

There is no Automatic DSP Notch, but the manually adjusted dsp notch is outside of the AGC loop, so you don't have the S Meter showing 20db over S9 with an associated reduction of the RF Gain as you would see on the typical auto notch after nulling a big carrier.

You can also turn off the AGC and rotate the RF Gain at the front panel for just the right receiver sensitivity.

The unit is of very nice construction even though I originally bought this unit to be the "hidden" transmitter side of a Windows SDR receiver. With an MFJ automatic antenna switch (or equivalent) you can use any of the wonderful computer SDR programs on receive and fully control the FT450D as transmitter from that program. SDR Console V3 is may favorite, HDSDR also integrates seamlessly.

I found myself wanting to use the radio standalone as often as not on CW. You get 100 watts, Auto Tuner, All Modes, 160m through 6m and that is a lot!

I ran a TS480Sat for over a year and that one is a great design, it has Auto-Notch, but all and all I do prefer the FT450, mainly because it has a better CW receiver to my ears. There is less noise and a better AGC.

This radio is an amazing value, for a backup or something fun to try with SDR, it's hard to lose with this one.

de Wb8yqj/6 Don

VK3DMN Rating: 4/5 Mar 7, 2017 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Value for money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used my FT-450D at home for a couple of years until I (permanently) loaned it to our local scout JOTA station. It's still there and still running strong (and recently was used for a scout radio Foundation class radio course). Is it as good as my FT-3000D, nope and it's not as good as a 950D either. But it IS better than the other radio at the scout station radio which is an Icom IC-718 by quite a bit. It's also got a better receiver than my FT-857D (and FT-897D). Simply put these radios represent the most HF performance you can buy new at (or near) the price point they sell for.

K1WJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2017 15:36 Send this review to a friend
FT-450D  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found the FT-450D to be a good mobile radio, installed with mini 20m MFJ whip, cut off two inches and antenna tuner takes care of 250khz of SSB section. Nice to see back light buttons and radio feet to prop up rig,Mic gain on high EQ at 0 works for me. Stock mic seems to drive radio well enough. QC looks good - See how she holds up over time.....73

N4YX Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2017 06:44 Send this review to a friend
Good Rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up a used 450D recently and impressed with the features & performance vs $ invested. Have checked it all bands & all modes. It's a keeper.

K3IVB Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2016 12:08 Send this review to a friend
BARGAIN REAL BARGAIN  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been operating for 34 years. In that time I went from Kenwood TS520 to $5,000 HF radios. I have owned several of these radios, it's like they are addicting.
Over and over it has been said this is entry level, to that I say hogwash. It's my very strong view that there isn't a radio on the market that offers this many features at this bargain price and performs this well. Don't be afraid of the few naysayers, you got your eye on one go get you one.