Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver
Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver Reviews: 103 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$899.00
Description: 160-6 Meter Base/Mobile/Portable Transceiver.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=870B3CA7CFCB61E6A599B0EFEA2217E4&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver.

VE2OL Rating: 3/5 Mar 2, 2013 07:56 Send this review to a friend
ssb tx problem  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
HI,like many other hams I found that I had a hum on SSB tx so I sent it back to Radioworld in Toronto, where I bought it, they apparently did a Yaesu mod to correct this but the problem is still there.I gave it this rating because of the problem, otherwise I am happy with the rig.In 60 years of hamming I have had many rigs and it is inconceivable to understand that a well established company like Yaesu would put out a rig with a problem like this.I used to brew my own and always had a clean signal. Thank you 73

IZ0FYS Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2013 00:24 Send this review to a friend
SUPER !!!!!!! ++++++++++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
this is a super radio.
I owned a lots of mid-class radios, and FT-450D is the best.
Super clean receiver, very effective DSP filters.
Some doubt with the transmitter: if you listen to his internal audio monitor, the modulation is ever great, if you listen yourself through a real receiver, the most of EQ pre-settings are not so good.
I have MD-200 mike, but I can't find a nice set-up, so I definitely don't like this comb.
I have found a good result with an ASTATIC D-104M6, EQ=0 (flat) for regular transmission, and EQ=4 for extreme DX.
Anyway, I highly suggest this radio!!!!

K2VI Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2013 18:53 Send this review to a friend
BIG RIG IN SMALL BOX  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What a surprise. Built like a sherman tank. The internal tuner tunes fast. The receiver is real sensitive and many adjustments to the contour,dsp,width,notch ect can be made to make this radio shine with rigs double the price. Puts the icom 7200 and ft897 in the dust. They have no internal tuner and the price tag is a few buck more. This radio can't be beat for it's price point perspective. Buy one. You will be a happy ham camper.

PU2NBU Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2012 05:05 Send this review to a friend
Gold Medal  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It is my main rig in my shack

Great rx and tx capabilities

Easy programming, once done it is set!

regarding price & functions, there is no competitor

in spite of the internal tuner, i also have the ldg yt-450 one

works with several antennas: commet 250, dual beam pro and many wire ones

no audio hum in myne, dsp works, nice and large dislay

I will buy another for my expediton off-road trailer

73 to all !

N4QA Rating: 4/5 Dec 19, 2012 07:09 Send this review to a friend
MARS mod = good rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received my brand new FT-450D, having ver 0211 firmware, on 12-12-12.
No 60m CW transmit.

Downloaded ver 0227 firmware.
OK, 60m CW transmit was then enabled but several functions did not work in the same manner
in which they did on all other ham bands.
Could not abide that.

So, I tore the rig apart and removed jumper JP4002 and followed the reset routine.
AKA MARS mod.

Now my FT-450D is a *real* ham rig.
Fun to operate.
Common features on all ham bands, 160-6m...*including* 60m.

CW output from the rig is just ok...certainly not 'Legendary Ten-Tec QSK'.
CW from internal sidetone is superb...but, as heard on a separate receiver...not-so-much.
Tolerable though.

This is my very first Yaesu transceiver and I like it a lot for a host of reasons,
not the least of which is rock-solid frequency accuracy & stability.
Having the capability of running 100 watts of power output is also cool.

My 9 y.o. Icom 703 (experiencing intermittent transmit failure - again -) is now collecting dust).

Bill, N4QA

M0GNA Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2012 05:09 Send this review to a friend
The Bees Knees.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A fantastic well built rig.It ticks all the boxes with me.A compact easy to operate rig.I love it.More than happy with it.

WA2EHL Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2012 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Congratulations to Yaesu for correcting the hum problem.Although all is necessary is to turn up the brightness if you have that problem. I apparantly have a recent build out s/n 2F710205.I now own both 450at and 450d.Sold my FT-950 and believe the 450d has a hotter receiver and dsp functions.

KC7NYI Rating: 4/5 Oct 4, 2012 16:17 Send this review to a friend
great buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
LIKE THE RADIO, BUT ANTENNA TUNER WILL NOT TUNE: 80 METER DIA POLE, 40 METER DIA POLE AND WILL NOT TURN VERTICLE COMET. USING LDG 200 PRO 2. OTHERWISE GREAT MONEY FOR THE MONEY. BY THE WAY LDG 200 PRO 2 IS A GREAT TUNER.

KC9WHL Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2012 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Great entry level rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first HF rig. Purchased if $950. I don't have a lot of experience, but have used the internal tuner and a G5RVJr strung up between the peak of my house and a big tree. I have made contacts all over the US, Canada and one DX to Panama. Yes, it has it's limitations, but for a sub $1,000 rig, it is really nice.

AC4BT Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2012 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Best value for a full featured radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great rig! As far as practical features, functionality and price are concerned the FT-450D has no rival.

The Positives are many:
1) Three filter widths are included and they work great and are easy to use and change on the fly.
2) All features are easy to access using the well-thought out menu system, you can even program one of the front keys with your favorite command.
3) The audio coming from the built in speaker is fabulous, loud and clear. I also have an Elecraft K-3 and the audio from the FT-450D is much better quality.
4) if you are a CW operator, there is nothing else to buy, filters are included. I have it set to Full Break-in and am using the 500 filter (there is also a 300 if you need it) and have found so far no need to invoke any of the DSP capabilities.

The only cons I see are:
1) The built in Antenna Tuner will only tune, at most, a 3 to 1 swr, anything higher and it fails, therefore, if you are going to rely on this Tuner your Antenna needs to be resonant on the Band you operate. I use an outboard tuner so this is not an issue for me.
2) In CW you can hear the relays open and close as you transmit. Usually I wear headphones so not an issue for me. After a couple of QSO's I totally forgot about it.

The rest of the rig shines. You get a full featured rig for about $900 that outperforms most other rigs costing twice as much. There is no learning curve, it's that easy to use. I am a most satisfied customer. This has got to be the best value for a transceiver under $1000 out there.