Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-450D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-450D
Yaesu FT-450D Reviews: 156 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$899.00
Description: 160-6 Meter Base/Mobile/Portable Transceiver.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=870B3CA7CFCB61E6A599B0EFEA2217E4&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450D.

N5STT Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2015 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for the price, excellent for new hams  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My experience with this radio has always been excellent. It has plenty of functions and possible configurations and I'm still learning a lot.
I bought it as used for a good price (below $600 shipped) just after getting my license and found it easy to use since the first time. I often use a Kenwood TS-850 and the 450D beats it under many aspects.
It's faster to say what I don't like:
- Contour filter, doesn't really help with noise, weak signals and adjacent signals and received audio feels distorted.
- Lack of control over voice processing and monitoring.
However, I can't pretend too much and I'm satisfied with it. I believe this is a keeper.

I would totally suggest this radio to new hams, keep an eye on the used market for great deals.

NY7Q Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2015 08:49 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
compared alongside my ft-950 and ts-756pro. the 450d is very similar to the 950 and as easy to program as the ts-756pro. sound/audio better on the Kenwood, other than that they were all about the same. for a small box the 450d has big performance. Audio reports excellent. I would purchase another 450d.

W8NWN Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2015 13:04 Send this review to a friend
BEATS THEM ALL  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know that is a big statement but for MY use, it has been the absolute best radio I have ever had..........bar none! I cant believe I am writing this, but I have had them all except, of course, for the huge flagship radios of today. It is on 24/7 and is at my bedside. With its lighted buttons and ease of use...........well what can I say? Even the dinky little speaker sounds good. The only thing I did was to add a 4" bail I bought from Elecraft to raise the front up for easier viewing. The only radio that comes close, for me,,,,is my Tentec Eagle.

2E0RZK Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2015 03:11 Send this review to a friend
Friendly, great little radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this as a second radio to use as a portable, but have ended up using it most of the time, even in my base station. Most Yeasu's are heavily menu driven and I've always found this confusing, but this one is far more intuitive than the more 'modern' Yeasus. I use it on SSB and it has good reception and straightforward, but reasonable noise reduction. I use a Yaesu MD-200 microphone and get good audio reports from just about everybody. It's easy to set up, easy to use, has a small footprint and works very well for DX. I agree with the reviews below that it isn't great at tuning non-resonant antennas, but it copes well with anything that's below 3:1, which suits me fine, as all my antennas read around 2:1 or less on the bands I use (40, 20 and 17m). The speaker is a bit small and sounds tinny, so I use an extension speaker. Really good for the price.

ON4XA Rating: 0/5 Aug 20, 2015 02:57 Send this review to a friend
big lemon  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this radio in Italy in nov2014 and it started having problems right away.

First, it would not produce the advertised 100W PEP SSB. The most I could get out of it was about 70W PEP. Also AT how didn't works. I bring it to HF electronics, Yaesu dealer in belgium. Mid januari I rx it back. 2 days after, suddenly it starts to give 100w in Am without to push the mic. Back to the factory. receive it in May !! And Yaesu refuse the warranty telling it was a HF return in the radio !!??? I had to pay 200$ for repair. I just worked not even 2 hours with this "lemon"

If you decide to purchase an FT450D and start experiencing the same problems I have then you have no one to blame but yourself because I have given you the benefit of my experiences with this radio.

2x yaesu, Never again. My FT857D is perfect. But the 450D is just a big sh.t
Goodbye Yaesu

WB4TJH Rating: 4/5 Jul 28, 2015 15:21 Send this review to a friend
Nice, handy, solid performer. I rate it a 4.5  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of the original FT450s minus the tuner new and got good service out of it for a couple of years. I sold it to a friend and then bought an FT-950. After my 950 developed a problem, I bought an almost new FT-450D and I must say, the improvements made to it over the original are very welcome. The lighted buttons and the 300Hz CW filter really make this little radio shine. I'm going to get the FT950 repaired and will be keeping the FT-450D which will make a handy radio for portable and maybe even mobile use. I gave it a 4 rating, but I really rate it a 4.5 overall. It's a good radio for a new ham or an old one who wants a good, solid, functional all around radio without having to hock your soul to buy one.

W5BXY Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2015 09:35 Send this review to a friend
I like it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had my Yaesu FT450D a couple of weeks and so far like it. I also have a Yaesu FT950 which I use as my main rig. I find that the 450D is very user friendly to me probably because it has similar features to the FT950 although much smaller in size. I like the large numerals on the display and the location of all the controls. It took me very little time to master the essential features. The audio doesn’t quite come up to that of the FT950 or one of my Kenwood rigs but with some adjustment it is decent and after all there is a large difference in size and cost. I do recommend an external speaker. CW reception is as good as it gets and I’ve had excellent reports on transmitted SSB audio using the standard hand mike. Contrary to other reviews it auto tunes my full size G5RV easily on all but 17 meters and I have a resonant dipole for that. Overall I can’t find anything that I don’t like about it and have no regrets for the $689 I spent buying it. So far I give it a 5 and will update this review after I’ve had it a while longer.

W1WOW Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2015 21:28 Send this review to a friend
Small Footprint Packed with Features  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I like to work portable and have never had a large desktop radio. I've always gravitated towards radios below $1,500. I purchased the Yaesu FT-450D new based on features only as I have always thought the radio to be hideously ugly. I used to think "Wow" this is one homely looking rig. Well, when I went looking for a small footprint rig with an internal tuner, I kept running into this ugly duckling. So, I got over the looks and have learned to love this rig for is features.

It's small (about the size of the FT-897D), it's internal antenna tuner hasn't disappointed. The audio received and transmitted have been nothing but good reports. I enjoy the back lit keys of the "D" model.

So - I gave it a 5 as it's delivered as advertised. It's pretty cheap now too used, a rival to the IC-718 in the value department with it's built in auto tuner and DSP filtration. I also love the digital Voice Recorder for calling CQ when bands are weak. It also has a nice solid feel to it. I believe it to be a very nice portable radio depending on antenna setup. I know the larger display is nice compared to the FT-897D.

They are a bargain used. You'll get into and out of it if you choose to without loosing a penny.

W4JTB Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2015 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio, especially for the new Ham  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've not been a Ham very long, and this is my first HF rig, so I won't be able to compare much to other radios, but I can tell you how this radio performs for the new guy.

• Easy operation and menu
• Large screen
• Great audio reports
• Small enough to take with you on a quick vacation
• Setting up for digital takes no time at all
• The auto tuner is fantastic, though you're not going to tune an antenna with a very high swr.
• Built in speaker is decent, but headphones help
• No problem working lots of stateside and DX contacts with a simple dipole and 100 or less watts.
• Filters are simple, but work great

This is the perfect rig for a new ham. Once you've learned this radio, you will certainly be ready to move on, if you decide you even want to.

I've really enjoyed it so far, and hope to have years of fun with it.

WU3D Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2015 14:32 Send this review to a friend
aweswome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I did alot of research on this radio. A friend of mine who lives very close to me was selling his 450D so I bought it. Its very nice and the small footprint fits my space to a tee. External speaker is a must. The rig is easy to operate and I will be using it on data by weeks end. Oh, also the 6 meters is a plus ! 100 watts thru out. If you get a chance to buy one, grab it !!