Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-450D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-450D
Yaesu FT-450D Reviews: 150 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$899.00
Description: 160-6 Meter Base/Mobile/Portable Transceiver.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=870B3CA7CFCB61E6A599B0EFEA2217E4&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450D.

W5BXY Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2015 09:35 Send this review to a friend
I like it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had my Yaesu FT450D a couple of weeks and so far like it. I also have a Yaesu FT950 which I use as my main rig. I find that the 450D is very user friendly to me probably because it has similar features to the FT950 although much smaller in size. I like the large numerals on the display and the location of all the controls. It took me very little time to master the essential features. The audio doesn’t quite come up to that of the FT950 or one of my Kenwood rigs but with some adjustment it is decent and after all there is a large difference in size and cost. I do recommend an external speaker. CW reception is as good as it gets and I’ve had excellent reports on transmitted SSB audio using the standard hand mike. Contrary to other reviews it auto tunes my full size G5RV easily on all but 17 meters and I have a resonant dipole for that. Overall I can’t find anything that I don’t like about it and have no regrets for the $689 I spent buying it. So far I give it a 5 and will update this review after I’ve had it a while longer.

W1WOW Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2015 21:28 Send this review to a friend
Small Footprint Packed with Features  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I like to work portable and have never had a large desktop radio. I've always gravitated towards radios below $1,500. I purchased the Yaesu FT-450D new based on features only as I have always thought the radio to be hideously ugly. I used to think "Wow" this is one homely looking rig. Well, when I went looking for a small footprint rig with an internal tuner, I kept running into this ugly duckling. So, I got over the looks and have learned to love this rig for is features.

It's small (about the size of the FT-897D), it's internal antenna tuner hasn't disappointed. The audio received and transmitted have been nothing but good reports. I enjoy the back lit keys of the "D" model.

So - I gave it a 5 as it's delivered as advertised. It's pretty cheap now too used, a rival to the IC-718 in the value department with it's built in auto tuner and DSP filtration. I also love the digital Voice Recorder for calling CQ when bands are weak. It also has a nice solid feel to it. I believe it to be a very nice portable radio depending on antenna setup. I know the larger display is nice compared to the FT-897D.

They are a bargain used. You'll get into and out of it if you choose to without loosing a penny.

W4JTB Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2015 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio, especially for the new Ham  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've not been a Ham very long, and this is my first HF rig, so I won't be able to compare much to other radios, but I can tell you how this radio performs for the new guy.

• Easy operation and menu
• Large screen
• Great audio reports
• Small enough to take with you on a quick vacation
• Setting up for digital takes no time at all
• The auto tuner is fantastic, though you're not going to tune an antenna with a very high swr.
• Built in speaker is decent, but headphones help
• No problem working lots of stateside and DX contacts with a simple dipole and 100 or less watts.
• Filters are simple, but work great

This is the perfect rig for a new ham. Once you've learned this radio, you will certainly be ready to move on, if you decide you even want to.

I've really enjoyed it so far, and hope to have years of fun with it.

WU3D Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2015 14:32 Send this review to a friend
aweswome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I did alot of research on this radio. A friend of mine who lives very close to me was selling his 450D so I bought it. Its very nice and the small footprint fits my space to a tee. External speaker is a must. The rig is easy to operate and I will be using it on data by weeks end. Oh, also the 6 meters is a plus ! 100 watts thru out. If you get a chance to buy one, grab it !!

WA7NTL Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2015 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Still Going Strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm a little lazy to write a thorough review, but having owned my FT-450D for 7 plus years, I believe it incumbent upon me to share this real world data with my fellow hams. I have not moved this rig from my shack in all these years, so it hasn't had any abuse. I have to report that I could pass it off as a new rig with a little extra cleaning. It has worked flawlessly and is still going strong. I'm not a contester, just an old world ham who like to read the mail and make a few good QSOs. I also like to work AM in the upper portions of ten meters. The old timers who've been around a while, were not impressed with the audio. But, then again, for AM one is best off to restore an old Globe Chief. I work mostly CW so haven't had a chance to get too many comments on the SSB audio. As with many of the fellow reviewers, economic common sense applies to this rig--there is simply a lot of bang for the buck. The DSP features add value to the receiver. The ARRL reviewer put it well when he said the rig will perform "yeoman duty", which in my opinion is just fine. After 7 years, I'm forced to give it a real thumbs up.

Steve WA7NTL

DL2AKV Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2015 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Good receiver. Transmitter not great for CW.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the 450D for about three weeks now and have been giving it a run for its money.

I was pleasantly surprised by the receiver and the effectiveness of the DSP as well as the noise blanker. If you also ride the RF gain knob, you will have a very enjoyable receiving experience.

Since I do mostly CW I was shocked to find out that the 450D still uses relays to switch to transmit. Loud ones. With all due respect Yaesu: It's 2015. Get with the program, would you?

Unfortunately, it doesn't end there. There is also a very annoying fan that jumps into action EVERY TIME you transmit, independent of your output power level or the actual temperature in the amplifier. This is just gruesome to any CW guy and I suspect that even SSB operators have a chip on their shoulders about that stupid fan.

Headphones make this ordeal bearable, of course, but it's so unnecessary. If it weren't for these two gripes, I would happily give this transceiver a full five points.

NINO Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2015 09:44 Send this review to a friend
first hf rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this rig less than 3 months and i find it to be a just GREAT rig! I held back purchasing because of the noise and encoder issues listed here, but noticed that all those claims were from 2011. My 450 is a joy to operate, the auto tuner does a great job and I have gotten nothing but good reports. If anything could be better, I would say the receive level and speaker could be improved, but an external speaker cured that. This radio is a no brainer for under a grand. Why buy a used, maybe radio when you can have dsp, new technology and a warranty. I would suggest this rig especially for the newer ham (of which I am). Take it out the box, plug it in and start making contacts.

KG4UHV Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2015 18:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Excellent radio for the monetary value. If you are looking for a decent HF radio buy the Ft 450D."From the east to the west Yaesu radios are the best " 73.

KB9MVW Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2015 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Rx is excellent. Audio reports have all been good with the stock mike. Above average features for the price range. I like it better than the yaesu 857d and 897d. Also better rx quality than the Kenwood 2000. Very simple to operate. There is no better radio in this price range.

KE8CQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2015 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the FT450D for use as a portable / backup radio. After researching several radios, I decided that the FT450D for $675 (net of rebates) was hard to beat! I have used this radio side-by-side against my FTDX3000 and TS480 and I am still surprised at how well the receiver works against by other rigs. First, the FT450D is 100W, HF to 6M including 60M and comes with ALL the filters already installed for SSB/CW. For portable operation it is light and weighs in at just over eight pounds. Additionally, it has a built in antenna tuner and lighted buttons for mobile or darker environments such as camping. Frankly, for the price I don't believe it can be beat and I had even considered the FT991 until I saw the $1699 price!!! Um, like I can use the $1000 bucks for a Mosley and rotator thank you very much. So for those new hams on a limited budget, give the FT450D a serious look because the radio works well, has a lot of features, interfaces with HRD CAT, does digital modes, CW, AM, FM, and SSB. I will be using the rig during winter field day in the hills of northern Michigan! Happy New Year and 73's.