Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver
Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver Reviews: 110 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$899.00
Description: 160-6 Meter Base/Mobile/Portable Transceiver.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=870B3CA7CFCB61E6A599B0EFEA2217E4&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver.

PA0RCL Rating: 3/5 Aug 4, 2013 13:08 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the FT-450D as a semi-portable rig for the holidays, as a possible replacement for my Icom IC-7200. This was a mistake. Although the FT-450D has more bells and whistles than the no-nonsense IC-7200, the latter is definitely the better rig. The IC-7200ís IF DSP is IMHO simply better, it sounds better, it is built better and it is much easier to operate with direct access to the most important functions. The FT-450Dís menu structure soon becomes irritating. The only function I really liked on the FT-450D is the possibility to program the mike buttons and the CS button with some of the most used functions, such as generating a 10W carrier to operate a remote automatic antenna tuner. OK, he FT-450D has an internal automatic antenna tuner included in the price, but I found it to work slowly and with a limited tuning range. An external tuner near the antenna is always better in every aspect.
Since both rigs are about the same price, the choice between the FT-450D and the IC-7200 should not be difficult.

KM0K Rating: 4/5 Jul 9, 2013 10:13 Send this review to a friend
Mixed Feelings  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned a Kenwood TS-520 since 1977 and it has never been in a shop for repair. I recently just sold it to buy a FT-450D. Of coarse I read about all the problems with the encoder, but I thought it was the best radio in my price range and the features I wanted. When I ordered it I questioned the salesman about the problems, and he told me that those were the early radios that had the problems and that Yaesu had it corrected. When it came It was tough getting used to the menus. But I did and loved the radio until the VFO stopped working. Which was about a month after purchase. I called Yaesu and they said to send it in for repair under warranty. Well that's great...by the time I had UPS pack and insure it the cost was $52.00 to send it back. When I got it back it works great, only took 10 days to turn around. They shipped it back 3 day express. But I still missed Field Day. Now my problem is not with the radio but with Yaesu itself. They knew they had a problem with this radio not only the encoder but a bad key jack, and some people reported a hum or buzz on there signal. Which by the was I asked Yaesu to replace the key jack as cw is my primary mode of operation and check for the hum problem as long as it was there. Well I've had it back for about a month and it is working fine....so far. Then I asked for a reimbursement for my shipping charges...No reply. Do you suppose there are still the "older radios" sitting in a warehouse that still have bad parts in them?? I would bet we haven't got to the newer radios yet. Yaesu wants you to find the bad ones so we can pay the return shipping charges instead of a recall to retrofit with good parts.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2013 09:33 Send this review to a friend
very good basic budget radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Almost everything has been said about this radio here already. I own mine since one year, a good part of it as my main radio for all modes and bands. Likes: sturdy and rugged construction-so much better than ICOMs (and I really like ICOMs and my main RIG is an ICOM, but sorry, they feel a bit 'cheap'), very good DSP functions, no additional filters, TCXO or whatever to buy, very good receiver-even on the low bands, pretty nice for digital modes. Dislikes: No key jack at the rear, the display could be better and no one needs 'ant1, rflt' etc. to be shown on the display if there is nothing to choose from anyway, RS232 instead of USB, only one function button on the radio but the MIC buttons can substitute. That said, I would not hesitate to buy it again and for the price they are now selling they certainly make the best investment a newcomer can make in an HF radio.

K6USN Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2013 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for my portable ops  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I operate portable a lot from the USA as well as the South Pacific. I pack simple LNR end fed monoband wire dipoles and light weight Gamma Research power supplies. For my radio I needed something small with a little more horse power than my KX3 for the long haul from places like Rarotonga or Palau or Saipan.

I carefully read the e Ham reviews and balanced cost, power, weight and reliability options. The FT 450D fit my needs perfectly and I could not be more pleased with the performance.
It is simple, reliable, and goes everywhere with me.

Allen
k6usn (E51USN)

M6AZA Rating: 4/5 Apr 8, 2013 07:26 Send this review to a friend
Very Good, But...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig from new when I started in Amateur Radio 2 years ago and on the whole it has been a great little rig which has given me a lot of enjoyment.It does everything you would expect very well of a radio at this price point. It is a menu driven rig, which can be irritating, but as I say, for the price it works well.

On the negative side, after having it a month, it developed an Encoder fault and had to be repaired and I too have had the problems with a 520Hz hum on TX. This took a while to track down, until I found reports from other users who were experiencing the same problem. It is currently away being repaired as I write this.

However, although I will soon be upgrading to a Kenwood TS590, I would not be put off buying this rig again.

M0ZCM

WK3N Rating: 1/5 Mar 19, 2013 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Ignored problems ruin an otherwise good radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First 450D received from AES Cleveland lasted a week.(Encoder and hum problems) They replaced it and the second one mirrored the first in decoder and audio hum breakdowns in about 4 months. Research showed this has been a long time problem. There should have been a recall and fix, before continuing sales ! THEY DID NOT! Yaesu should have at least absorbed the shipping cost for service plus an apology certainly was in order.The rig has well designed filters, good transmit and receive audio. Large knobs and display. This radio would have been a solid 4 if not for Yaesu hindsight. I am not not only customer never coming back, of that I am sure.

W8NWN Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2013 23:25 Send this review to a friend
A KEEPER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned the older FT-450AT some time ago. When Yaesu came out with the 450D, I bought one with the coupon discount for a back-up. It is a real gem and works flawlessly. The back-lit keys are great! They really did their homework on this one!. No hum as in other reviews. Good job Yaesu!

VE2OL Rating: 3/5 Mar 2, 2013 07:56 Send this review to a friend
ssb tx problem  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
HI,like many other hams I found that I had a hum on SSB tx so I sent it back to Radioworld in Toronto, where I bought it, they apparently did a Yaesu mod to correct this but the problem is still there.I gave it this rating because of the problem, otherwise I am happy with the rig.In 60 years of hamming I have had many rigs and it is inconceivable to understand that a well established company like Yaesu would put out a rig with a problem like this.I used to brew my own and always had a clean signal. Thank you 73

IZ0FYS Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2013 00:24 Send this review to a friend
SUPER !!!!!!! ++++++++++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
this is a super radio.
I owned a lots of mid-class radios, and FT-450D is the best.
Super clean receiver, very effective DSP filters.
Some doubt with the transmitter: if you listen to his internal audio monitor, the modulation is ever great, if you listen yourself through a real receiver, the most of EQ pre-settings are not so good.
I have MD-200 mike, but I can't find a nice set-up, so I definitely don't like this comb.
I have found a good result with an ASTATIC D-104M6, EQ=0 (flat) for regular transmission, and EQ=4 for extreme DX.
Anyway, I highly suggest this radio!!!!

K2VI Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2013 18:53 Send this review to a friend
BIG RIG IN SMALL BOX  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What a surprise. Built like a sherman tank. The internal tuner tunes fast. The receiver is real sensitive and many adjustments to the contour,dsp,width,notch ect can be made to make this radio shine with rigs double the price. Puts the icom 7200 and ft897 in the dust. They have no internal tuner and the price tag is a few buck more. This radio can't be beat for it's price point perspective. Buy one. You will be a happy ham camper.