Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver
Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver Reviews: 105 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$899.00
Description: 160-6 Meter Base/Mobile/Portable Transceiver.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=870B3CA7CFCB61E6A599B0EFEA2217E4&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver.

WK3N Rating: 1/5 Mar 19, 2013 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Ignored problems ruin an otherwise good radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First 450D received from AES Cleveland lasted a week.(Encoder and hum problems) They replaced it and the second one mirrored the first in decoder and audio hum breakdowns in about 4 months. Research showed this has been a long time problem. There should have been a recall and fix, before continuing sales ! THEY DID NOT! Yaesu should have at least absorbed the shipping cost for service plus an apology certainly was in order.The rig has well designed filters, good transmit and receive audio. Large knobs and display. This radio would have been a solid 4 if not for Yaesu hindsight. I am not not only customer never coming back, of that I am sure.

W8NWN Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2013 23:25 Send this review to a friend
A KEEPER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned the older FT-450AT some time ago. When Yaesu came out with the 450D, I bought one with the coupon discount for a back-up. It is a real gem and works flawlessly. The back-lit keys are great! They really did their homework on this one!. No hum as in other reviews. Good job Yaesu!

VE2OL Rating: 3/5 Mar 2, 2013 07:56 Send this review to a friend
ssb tx problem  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
HI,like many other hams I found that I had a hum on SSB tx so I sent it back to Radioworld in Toronto, where I bought it, they apparently did a Yaesu mod to correct this but the problem is still there.I gave it this rating because of the problem, otherwise I am happy with the rig.In 60 years of hamming I have had many rigs and it is inconceivable to understand that a well established company like Yaesu would put out a rig with a problem like this.I used to brew my own and always had a clean signal. Thank you 73

IZ0FYS Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2013 00:24 Send this review to a friend
SUPER !!!!!!! ++++++++++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
this is a super radio.
I owned a lots of mid-class radios, and FT-450D is the best.
Super clean receiver, very effective DSP filters.
Some doubt with the transmitter: if you listen to his internal audio monitor, the modulation is ever great, if you listen yourself through a real receiver, the most of EQ pre-settings are not so good.
I have MD-200 mike, but I can't find a nice set-up, so I definitely don't like this comb.
I have found a good result with an ASTATIC D-104M6, EQ=0 (flat) for regular transmission, and EQ=4 for extreme DX.
Anyway, I highly suggest this radio!!!!

K2VI Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2013 18:53 Send this review to a friend
BIG RIG IN SMALL BOX  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What a surprise. Built like a sherman tank. The internal tuner tunes fast. The receiver is real sensitive and many adjustments to the contour,dsp,width,notch ect can be made to make this radio shine with rigs double the price. Puts the icom 7200 and ft897 in the dust. They have no internal tuner and the price tag is a few buck more. This radio can't be beat for it's price point perspective. Buy one. You will be a happy ham camper.

PU2NBU Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2012 05:05 Send this review to a friend
Gold Medal  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It is my main rig in my shack

Great rx and tx capabilities

Easy programming, once done it is set!

regarding price & functions, there is no competitor

in spite of the internal tuner, i also have the ldg yt-450 one

works with several antennas: commet 250, dual beam pro and many wire ones

no audio hum in myne, dsp works, nice and large dislay

I will buy another for my expediton off-road trailer

73 to all !

N4QA Rating: 4/5 Dec 19, 2012 07:09 Send this review to a friend
MARS mod = good rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received my brand new FT-450D, having ver 0211 firmware, on 12-12-12.
No 60m CW transmit.

Downloaded ver 0227 firmware.
OK, 60m CW transmit was then enabled but several functions did not work in the same manner
in which they did on all other ham bands.
Could not abide that.

So, I tore the rig apart and removed jumper JP4002 and followed the reset routine.
AKA MARS mod.

Now my FT-450D is a *real* ham rig.
Fun to operate.
Common features on all ham bands, 160-6m...*including* 60m.

CW output from the rig is just ok...certainly not 'Legendary Ten-Tec QSK'.
CW from internal sidetone is superb...but, as heard on a separate receiver...not-so-much.
Tolerable though.

This is my very first Yaesu transceiver and I like it a lot for a host of reasons,
not the least of which is rock-solid frequency accuracy & stability.
Having the capability of running 100 watts of power output is also cool.

My 9 y.o. Icom 703 (experiencing intermittent transmit failure - again -) is now collecting dust).

Bill, N4QA

M0GNA Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2012 05:09 Send this review to a friend
The Bees Knees.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A fantastic well built rig.It ticks all the boxes with me.A compact easy to operate rig.I love it.More than happy with it.

WA2EHL Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2012 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Congratulations to Yaesu for correcting the hum problem.Although all is necessary is to turn up the brightness if you have that problem. I apparantly have a recent build out s/n 2F710205.I now own both 450at and 450d.Sold my FT-950 and believe the 450d has a hotter receiver and dsp functions.

KC7NYI Rating: 4/5 Oct 4, 2012 16:17 Send this review to a friend
great buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
LIKE THE RADIO, BUT ANTENNA TUNER WILL NOT TUNE: 80 METER DIA POLE, 40 METER DIA POLE AND WILL NOT TURN VERTICLE COMET. USING LDG 200 PRO 2. OTHERWISE GREAT MONEY FOR THE MONEY. BY THE WAY LDG 200 PRO 2 IS A GREAT TUNER.