Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Norm's Rotor Service Help

Reviews Summary for Norm's Rotor Service
Norm's Rotor Service Reviews: 74 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $varies
Description: Antenna rotor service, sales, and parts.
More info: http://www.rotorservice.com/

You can write your own review of the Norm's Rotor Service.

KE0CWR Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2015 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Parts Order & Information  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a Alliance 73 Rotor still works but needed some hardware , E Mailed Norm for Information Expecting to wait days or weeks for a reply as is the case with a lot of internet stores . Supprised me to no end when got reply with in 30 min.
This is late afternoon , he had what I wanted & gave me Pay Pay information I ordered parts he shipped the next morning & 3 days later got what I ordered all in good shape.
Best place on internet I have ever done bussines With Will recomend

K6BRN Rating: 0/5 Oct 15, 2015 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Eccentric and unreliable hobby shop  Time owned: more than 12 months
Contacted Norms Rotor Service recently (10/14/2015, based on eham rave reviews) to get a price and availability quote via email (Per Norms website recommendation) on a new old stock or rebuilt HD-73 rotor to replace one that is 20 years old and has a bad directional potentiometer. Both products are listed on the website. In return I received a sarcastic email demanding to know my exact application, the serial number of the existing rotor, its ink stamp (which perished long ago) and asking me to explain why I'm not rebuilding the old one. No availability information on the products I asked about was supplied. I replied that I was not interested in a rebuild and just wanted to purchase a NOS (or already rebuilt unit) as listed on the website. In response I received a terse response that Norms could not meet my needs - with zero explanation.

It appears to me that Norms is run by a very eccentric proprietor whose listed products are apparently notional rather than real and who MAY rebuild your rotor IF you convince him you've been good to it. No rebuild, no product. Not a real business at all - really a hobby shop. If you have weeks of time to kill and can convince Norms that you have a worthy rotator to rebuild, you may do better. I simply sought to buy one - no joy there.

On Monday, I'll drop over to Ham City, where I always receive prompt, well informed and courteous service, and pick up a new Yaesu 800 series rotator, which will meet my needs with nearly 100% margin - and is less expensive than Norms listed price for the seemingly ficticious NOS HD-73.

Then I'll put the new rotator in, get back on the air and probably rebuild the old unit for future use, as a fun project. Its not rocket science. The pot and bearings are both available on line.

In short, a really disappointing experience with Norms. If you do try to do business with them, have a plan B ready. Based on past good reviews, it seems that times are changing at Norms.

N4DH Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2015 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Like new exchange  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My 15 year old Ham II started to become balky on heading NW of due North.. I knew at sometime in the near future it was doomed to fail. I had ordered parts from Norm's Rotor Sevice in the past and every part was new and there were some upgraded parts that Norm recommended. I repaired an old Ham M with few problems. At 79 years old I did not want to do that again. Dashed off an email to Norm and instantly received a return email with several questions.. I stared at the email a few minutes wondering why the questions. I then realized he wanted to be sure I would be getting the right size rotor to turn the size and model of beam I had. I also had a CDE rotor control box that needed the brake delay mod.
I enquires about upgrading my box and he assured me he could do it at a reasonable price. I decided I needed new rotor cable with the correct connectors on each end. Norm recommended an amp 8 pin connector for the rotor end. He said his rebuilt rotor would come with that connector built in.
The other end was my choice. I needed a Cinch/Jones 8 pin connector for my new DCU-3 rotor control box. A 100' long cable was made up by Norm and I had it in a few days.

I sent my control box in for the mod and Norm also installed an 8 pin pigtail with a female Cinch/Jones connector. That way I could use the older box for a backup controller.
Long story short, the replacement rotor with the upgraded control box arrived in 3 weeks, well packed in one box.
The rotor and control box looked brand new.

I had already run my cable from the shack to the bottom of the tower. Inside the box was also a checklist of what work had been done and a chart with wiring of the plugs with color coded rotor cable. Norm's note reminded me to check out the rotor with the control boxes. Each checked perfect and read outs of compass directions were very close between the old analog box and the new DCU-3. Had my tower guy put up the rotor 2 days later. Dropped a screw on the ground, but found it instantly. Otherwise the rotor went up without a hitch.

It was a real pleasure to deal with Norm and when testing the rotor it had such a quiet sound to it when rotating it on the ground. I felt like I was putting up a brand new installation.
After removing my old rotor I shipped my old weather worn crippled rotor to Norm in the same box the rebuilt one came in.

During the transaction, I had several dumb questions for Norm.
He was very timely in returning emails, and it was a pleasant experience to deal with him.

I would highly recommend using his service if you need your rotor repaired or rebuilt.. The price was reasonable also.
Norm will not try to sell you anything you do not need.
Bill, N4DH

WN8Y Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2015 07:53 Send this review to a friend
FAST Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
RotorNorm has repaired control boxes two times for me.
The control box for the Alliance HD-73 is about 30 years old. He can make it look NEW, he has the parts,skill,knowledge to work wonders. It may be my old but it looks so good.
Give him a try, If it can be repaired I pick Norm every time.

Kenny/WN8Y

KQ6PJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2014 14:41 Send this review to a friend
KQ6PJ Another Happy Customer  Time owned: more than 12 months
After ~30 yrs of faithful service my T2X Tailtwister finally gave up. So off to Norm it went. After 7 weeks it came back in first class operating condition. He is obviously kept busy due to his excellent work. For less than half the cost of a new unit I will hopefully get another 30yrs of service.

K2IZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2014 21:32 Send this review to a friend
great refurbished unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 40 years in service I finally replaced my Ham M II, the original unit has a terminal strip on the bottom of the rotor for the control cable, Norm modifies this with a weatherproof Cinch plug, the other end of the rotor control cable, very good quality I will add, has an 8 pin Cinch Jones plug, a pig tail is provided with spade terminals on one end for the control box and an 8 pin plug on the other, now if a lightning storm is in the area I can disconnect my rotor cable.
Norm also installs the brake release delay modification in the control box, over the years I had gotten into the habit of releasing the brake, turning the antenna and when it stopped did a slow count to 5 before releasing the brake, apparently others do not do this resulting in the wedge brake snapping off inside the rotor

W5NEC Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2014 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Great service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed some repair parts for a ham-m rotor. I emailed asking for part info. I received a prompt reply with very good prices. Much better than anyone on eBay namely rotortime. Stick with norm for all your rotor needs. Courteous and very reasonable on pricing.

N3HYB Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2014 18:47 Send this review to a friend
positive  Time owned: more than 12 months
So my T-2X fails. I email Norms saying I am going to send in my control and my rotor but I failed to send them in waiting for them to send me a swap rotor. They very nicely told me what I had to do and I did it. They quickly rebuilt both my units,
told me what went wrong and gave me several things to do in order to avoid the problem again. They tolerated my nagging emails and never lost their cool. My rotor and control are better than they ever were with the new improvements. Norm's is simply thew best. To the tech that put up with me and fixed my rotor, Have a great holiday. All the best to you and yours, Don N3HYB

N4FBW Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2013 18:13 Send this review to a friend
Great job on an HD-73 and Control Box!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a used and, according to the seller, a 'in good condition' HD-73 rotor this summer. I noticed that the position reading on the meter was not indicating properly, so I opened up the rotator. There were several issues including bad bearings. I contacted Rotor Norm for some advice and bought a new position pot, new bearings and a grease kit. As I began work on the rotor, more problems came up and I decided to send it to Rotor Norm for service along with the repair parts that I had for the rotor. Rotor Norm suggested I send in the control box as well, which was looking rather long in the tooth. It took about six weeks for the control box and rotor to be serviced which is what I was told up front. They also gave me credit for the parts I had already purchased. The rotor and control box look BRAND NEW! The quality of the work is top notch and they sent me a detailed invoice of the work done. The labor rates are really cheap compared to those here in CA. I've spent quite a bit of money on this rotor and can honestly say that I'll never buy another used rotator from a ham. Instead, I'll buy one from Rotor Norm's (they sell rebuilt and new rotors)! If you are having rotator problems, give Norm's a call or send an e-mail. These guys are the best!

KF7PBM Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2013 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommend - Second to None  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'll try to make this short & to the point... Norm is a miracle worker.

I bought a "Ham IV" from another ham who posted an ad ... along with another rotor & other items ... It was not a Ham IV, but a Ham II. In short, both rotors had issues, bad pots, missing bearing races, wrong hardware, etc. I called Norm.

When I got my Ham II rotor back I did not want to put it on the tower & just wanted to set it on my coffee table & stare at it. If you did not know better you'd swear that it was a brand new model straight from the factory.

Norm is very patient - I asked a lot of dumb questions. Norm was always willing to help me no matter how dumb/simple the question. He took a great deal of time to educate me on what needed to be done (I had a few rotors & was not sure which path to take with the antenna I had).

I would not hesitate to recommend Norm to anyone needing his services ... I honestly feel bad to taking up his time with my dumb questions.

I gave Norm Five stars ... because I can't give him ten!

A definite shining star which is hard to come by in today's society.